Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of the remote places I ride you are lucky to get anything other than 87 or 89 octane. This 800 E-Tec is the only sled- or vehicle period- that I have owned that requires 91 octane. What do you carry for octane booster or do you guys just take a chance with the non-premium gas until you can get to some high test?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it easy to use and measure? Do you carry something to measure? If you were doing a saddlebag trip of say, 600 miles, how much would you need to carry? Some places seem to have the premium but a lot don't.

·
Cains Guest
1,642 Posts
Ki-100 to manage fuel separation and moisture issues as stated above , Torco Octane Accelerator for a best practices attempt to raise the octane when required Gamma Sales distributes both for the Canadian market

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Klotz or Torco are the only proven octane boosters on the market that will raise the rating by numbers and not just by POINTS. The advantage to Torco being that they sell the product in small, easy to carry bottles already. Check out the Shellbourne stuff too. I'm sure you'll start a debate with this post; which is already quite a well covered topic, but the etec will define for lower octane gasoline- it's not the end of the world. The same manual that says 91 recommend also says something about no fuel additives should be used, so??? Ethanol and fuel QUALITY seems to be the consensus about fuel variables that contribute to sled issues.

·
DOOCREW
1,562 Posts
I use K-100 and seems to do the trick plus helps burn water in the tank if you end up with moisture

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It will run on 87 octane no problem. Just don't beat on it until you can add some premium to it. I have ran 87 before when the stations were out of premium no problem.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I was told that octane boosters were not good for etecs
The engine management system has no way of knowing how the octane is made.

The bigger issue is stale or low grade fuel in remote locations. The ETEC will compensate for low octane by retarding the timing but I believe that is done thru a knock sensing system.

I know lots of guys using Shellbourne Fuel Enhancer in both 2 stroke and 4 stroke applications for this exact scenario and all report excellent results even at low mix ratios like 80/1 with regular.

·
DOOCREW
1,562 Posts
It will run on 87 octane no problem. Just don't beat on it until you can add some premium to it. I have ran 87 before when the stations were out of premium no problem.
Yep like Air cop has said^^^. I know my 800 carbed XP recognizes lower grade Octane and retards the ignition so you don't get pre-detenation. You lose a bunch of HP but allows you to ride. I've had it happen twice with low octane fuel and can notice power loss due to ignition retarded

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's intimidating and refreshing all at the same time to have such a smart sled. Smarter than me I guess. I'll just fill up with the regular if I have to and ride easy until I get 91 in there.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Yep like Air cop has said^^^. I know my 800 carbed XP recognizes lower grade Octane and retards the ignition so you don't get pre-detenation. You lose a bunch of HP but allows you to ride. I've had it happen twice with low octane fuel and can notice power loss due to ignition retarded

Is pre-detonation the detonation that happens before detonation happens?

·
DOOCREW
1,562 Posts
Is pre-detonation the detonation that happens before detonation happens?
Yes to be technical I should have just said detenation (pre-ignition). I was under the notion that detenation is like ignition of a bomb and firing on time. Thought detenation and combustion were the same and any pre-ignition would be pre-detonation (knock).....my bad

Reactions: IcutMetl
1 - 14 of 14 Posts