Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read lots of complaints about Doo sleds on this forum, and am now in the market for a watercraft. I am kind of biased that Sea Doo's are the most unreliable of the PWC's, but also the best handling and highest performing, and therefore the most fun. Would anyone here not buy one, and just go with a japanese craft (kawi, honda, or yami) for reliability??? I think my bias against Doo came from the 2 strokes they had in the mid to late 90s, and now since it's 4 strokes, they may be a lot better. I know there are a lot of people on here who are mad at BRP so I'll take that into consideration. BTW, I'm looking at an 05 RXP that's on consignment with 8 hours on it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
it is an amazing machine. fastest thing on water ive ever seen neways. have sold a few since 04, no problems or issues other than service and matenance. causes grins that you cant lose

·
Registered
188 Posts
fenderu2 said:
I've read lots of complaints about Doo sleds on this forum, and am now in the market for a watercraft. I am kind of biased that Sea Doo's are the most unreliable of the PWC's, but also the best handling and highest performing, and therefore the most fun. Would anyone here not buy one, and just go with a japanese craft (kawi, honda, or yami) for reliability??? I think my bias against Doo came from the 2 strokes they had in the mid to late 90s, and now since it's 4 strokes, they may be a lot better. I know there are a lot of people on here who are mad at BRP so I'll take that into consideration. BTW, I'm looking at an 05 RXP that's on consignment with 8 hours on it.
[snapback]753726[/snapback]​
Wow man,you couldnt be futher from the truth.Ive owned 3 sea-doos and have had zero trouble with them.My first was a 95 xp.It was a 720cc that year and was a great craft.I left it mostly stock and raced in NY and Mass and won with it the three times it was raced.In 96 i got a new xp with the 800 motor and fell in love.I moded this one to the max and raced it 6 times in two differnt series and won evey time.I got out of racing and just ride it on my local lake now and the only thing I had to do was put a new battery in it.I got a 2001 xp with the 950 motor but only kept it a year because my 96 was way better and more fun.That 96 smokes by every thing and turns on a dime plus is the most bullet-prof machine I've ever owned.If I was gonna buy one I would get 96 XP or 97 xp (same machine)with low hours and mod it to pro-stock specs.Then race a 05 RXP and watch the look in the guys face when your 10-year old xp smokes on buy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
cdoo933 Im with you. They are untouchable out there and you need to keep a tow rope when you are riding...No not for yours but the yammies and kawis out there. I got a rxdi and the only thing that can touch it that I have raced is a rxp or t. Those new ones look very mean in the green and black or red and silver too.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've had two, a 98' GTX Limited (951 carb) and the 01' GTX DI (951 Direct injection) that I still have. Both were trouble free and the DI is unreal if fuel range, It's double compared the the 98' carb I had.

Try PWC today or SEA-DOO.net forums for alot of info on the new ones, they sound awsome.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a 98 XP Limited and a 01 GTXDI and love them both. Fast/fun with no issues.

I just wash them down and flush them out after every ride and they will go forever.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
RXP with a supercharger and intercooler IS the fastest thing on water. The ski has so much power it is rediculous. I rode one many times last summer and if I could afford it I would definately buy one. They corner like they are on rails also.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I rode one for 10 weeks last summer while my 03 XPDI was in for a fuel pump.

Yes they are lightning fast

They corner alright.

They look great

However coming off an XP I really didn't have near as much fun on a boat of that size. Great if you want to be the fastest on calm water or ever want a passenger on. Not so great on Lake Huron's rougher days.

If I lived on a inland lake I would have considered keeping the RXP but not for around here with the waves we go out in.

The RXP also when you went of a boat wake or anyhting steep would bog due to some oil sensor, that was always fun coming down with no power.

I like the 2 stroke DI 951 that doesn't run about $1 cdn a mile also.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a RXT and I ride with 6 others that have the supercharged 4 strokes, RXP, RXT, & GTX SC. Everybody has had great luck with them. One buddy has never done anything to his RXP except oil changes, not even a wear ring, and his is probably the quickest & fastest. Most of these skies have 200-300 hours on them.
They are heavy and not as playful as some of the small 2 strokes, but they are the fastest, best riding best long cruisers you can buy.
If your wanting a ski to spin around at the end of the dock and anoy the neighbors on a small lake than they might not be the ski for you. If you have somewhere to go and your into a long ride then they are the best.
I live in the Thousand Islands and we do lots of 50 to 100 mile rides and they are perfect for that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
dvraptor said:
If I was gonna buy one I would get 96 XP or 97 xp (same machine)
Code:
What about 98 xp, another machine?
[right][snapback]754620[/snapback][/right]
[/QUOTE]
98 xp was this style.96 xp and 97spx was the X-4 hull.X-4 hull was best for racing and agresive handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I've read lots of complaints about Doo sleds on this forum, and am now in the market for a watercraft.
If you get a negative opinion of doo from this forum then you are only reading the bad posts. 95%+ of all REV owners are 100% satisfied, there are a few with legitimate complaints (I guess) and some cry babies that won't tell the "whole story" about their problems... you appear to be just reading those, seems to be common. But if you are unsure, stay away from doo, Yamaha and Honda make nice PWCs too!

I have the RXP!

its fun, its not a sled but fun anyway. Problem is it will make your local lake/river real small, real fast!

have had a few seadoos (have two now) and have never had a problem caused by doo... sinking them tends to cause problems though...

if you want true horse power, a supercharger is the ONLY way to go, turbo is not even close... with the super charger there is no "turbo" lag-

as with sleds it depends on what you want to do with it, with the RXP you can comfortably ride two people, with the older XP or GSX hulls they say two riders but unless yor midgets its impossible to ride two- and the supercharged motor is available in a three seater a cruiser etc.

wave jumpers may have special needs but in a PWC I like the 4-stroke becasue the added weight is welcomed unlike in a sled where the added weight is a major problem! the RXP weighs about 800 lbs. dry.

also amazing is that on water you need a 1.5 liter, 215 HP, 4-stroke, fuel injected, overhead cam, three cylinder, supercharged, intercooled motor to get close to 70 MPH! and you do it all without a helmet or much clothes for that matter...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just Doooo it and don't look back. Go over to sea-doo.net and check out the forum over there. Tons and tons of info, a lot about the RXP. I don't think I have ever read anything negative about one.
I have a 99 GTX Limited with the 951 (carbed). It is big but has plenty of power and speed, and is plenty playfull. I love it, and have had zero probs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should have stated I do own an 04 rev renegade sled, which I love, but haven't put many miles on due to lack of snow and the fact that I alternate with a 2nd sled. Just hearing about the blowups on the powertechs, the rings on the 03 and 04 rotax engines, and then a lot of negativity towards sea doo on the pwctoday board keeps me skeptical.
Seadoo has 54% of the pwc market and I don't think you can get that high with fancy marketing and smoke and mirrors.
I also own an 04 Yamaha fx 160hp waverunner which is awesome in handling the chop, plenty fast, and very reliable. The deal is I want a second ski so friends can ride it, and I have 2 different rides depending on conditions on the lake. My yami is a great cruiser but not the best to play on. I really don't need a 215hp boat, but there's not much out there in a 2 seater 4 stroke craft. Hondas look good, Yami's are ALL huge except the 1300 which is a 2 stroke, and Kawi is still in the running.
The price breakdown I'm looking at after trailer, cover and tax is this:
04 Honda r-12 (brand new holdover) $8,088
05 Doo RXP with 8 hours consignment $8,300

The Doo is 215hp and the Honda is about 130hp. The dealer, whom I've bought 2 vehicles from is absolutely selling me on the DOO. And it's on consignment so he probably makes less money on it than selling me a new craft. Maybe I just need to get over my reservations about DOO and bite the bullet. If it sucks, I can always sell it. RIght.

·
Ski-Doo Rider from Northern Vermont
1,167 Posts
Dude, SeaDoo is the leader of Personal Watercraft, just like SkiDoo is the leader of snowmoblies. Go with the SeaDoo, I love mine, and I know you will love yours.

·
Hurry, pull my string again!
2,181 Posts
fenderu2 said:
I think my bias against Doo came from the 2 strokes they had in the mid to late 90s, and now since it's 4 strokes, they may be a lot better.
[snapback]753726[/snapback]​
I don't know where you get that from....the mid to late 90's the hot motor was the 800 (Rotax 787), and that f'n motor was bullet proof. still tons of '96XP's, 97-99SPX's running around with the original pistons and rings. that's way off. if you had to complain about their 2s motors, you'd have better complaint with the 951 (Rotax 947), but even thos emotors run great, they just had water ingestion issues due to the placement of the exhaust manifold right over the intake.

i been riding Sea-Doos for over 15 years, rebuilding and grudge racing them for at least 10. I love my Sea-Doo. yamis don't handle and Poos are junk. Kawi make s decent ride, but I am 100% against buying any japanese product, ethically.

Oh, and on your original question, the 4s Rotax are awesome. only real problem is the impeller on the supercharger. There is a cermic disc on it that if it grenades will get sucked into the motor. you'd want to check to se if that issue has been rectified. i do't run 4s, but have bunch of pals that do. they're solid. just to darn heavy to toss around, jump and such.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts