Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
You've got to be kidding me. If you don't have your tags filled by then you need better scent control, better hunting techniques, or a better hunting spot. Not a longer deer season!

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
they should pass hunters orange required instead of longer season, focus on safety not pushing the deer beyond their limits of survival

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Total BS.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just another example of the sport losing its footing.....

I wonder how long it will realistically take clubs in the southern tier to get the trails ready with this change?

Would have been nice for them to do a 1-year trial and then rescend it the extended hunting season wasn't as cracked up as they make it seem.

·
E-Tec Rules
33,777 Posts
So this pushes our riding time back I'm assuming. Typical New York state BS

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
So this pushes our riding time back I'm assuming. Typical New York state BS

I'll bet it could be mid-January for some clubs to have the trails ready in this area. That basically makes it an 8 week season in that area IF the weather cooperates with cold and snow.

I'm sure NY will drop registration fees to be commensurate with the new length of the season in that area........ NOT!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
Too much population. They are driving the DEC to make up more dumb "edit for bad language". It's plenty long enough without this addition
We don't need a longer season, we need more tags handed out.

I bet I saw 20 deer yesterday within the first 5 miles of yesterdays ride. And believe me, sled deer collisions suck.

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
Think there are too many deer? This picture was taken in the Village of Adams. Hey, at least they're using the sidewalk...

1rRsigD.jpg

Reactions: mxzscotty

·
Registered
516 Posts
Exactly but in typical NY fashion we have idiots who have no common sense making decisions. Why do you think the education system is a joke

Got my license, I see they have an early season for doe only in certain zones 9/11 to 9/19. Also you can hunt a half hour before sunrise and a half hour after sunset.

Looks like per number 7, they extended the season to January 1st in the southern zone too.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
I'm good with the 1/2 hour +/- rule, the January 1st part pushes it too much IMO.

Reactions: Snocheck

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED

NYS DEC proposes a regulation that amends the Holiday Hunt allowing counties to opt out. They get it half right!

You are receiving this email because you are listed as a member of NYSSA. We thank you very much for your membership and support. This was a banner year for snowmobiling in NY.

Last September, I asked you to write the DEC in opposition to the Holiday Hunt in the Southern Hunting Zone. Many of you wrote... over 1000 letters and emails. But DEC went ahead in February and adopted the regulation anyway.

Senator John Mannion and Assemblywoman Carrie Woerner introduced legislation that would allow counties to opt out of this extra week by resolution or local law. The measure passed the Senate and was poised to pass the Assembly when the Department committed to the Assemblywoman that they would provide a fix through regulation. With our support, the Assemblywoman held off and took the Department's word.

On Wednesday, September 15th the fix was made public. The Department proposed a regulation that would allow counties to opt out of the holiday hunt but required them to pass a local law each year. That is burdensome and not consistent with the legislation.

I have attached a sample letter that we are asking our members and our clubs to send to DEC. Please take a minute and copy and paste it into your email and send it to the Department.

Write to:

Jeremy Hurst
Division of Fish and Wildlife
625 Broadway
Albany, NY, 12233
[email protected]

And if you would like, send a copy of your letter to:

NYSSA
PO Box 740
Central Square, NY 13036

or send a copy of your email to [email protected].

Thank you for writing the DEC and thank you again for your generous support of snowmobiling.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Sample Letter:

John Doe
123 Fake Street
Your Town, NY XXXXX

September 23, 2021

Commissioner Basil Seggos
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Wildlife Regulations, Bureau of Wildlife
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-4754

Re: Regulation on County opt-out of Holiday Hunt

Dear Commissioner Seggos:

We appreciate the Department’s recent promulgation of regulations that would amend the newly enacted holiday hunt to allow local counties to opt-out. The holiday hunt, which was established in early 2021, established an additional week of deer hunting in the Southern Zone for bow and muzzle loading.

During the 2021 NYS Legislative Session, snowmobilers were supportive of a bill, S6510 (Mannion)/ A7785 (Woerner) that would allow counties to opt out of the holiday hunt by resolution or local law – without a burdensome annual requirement. The Department’s proposed regulation is noted as an alternative meeting the intent of the bill. It is our opinion that the regulation is burdensome in its annual requirement to pass a local law does not rise to the spirit of that legislation.

In recognition of these concerns, we urge the department to remove the requirement for counties to opt-out of the holiday hunt “annually”, and to allow counties to opt-out of the holiday hunt once prospectively.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and for attempting to address concerns of snowmobilers throughout the state in relation to the holiday hunt.

Respectfully,

(Your Signature)
Print Your Name Here

{Letters must be sent to DEC on the proposal through November 14, 2021. Comments may be submitted by email to [email protected] or in writing to: Wildlife Regulations, NYSDEC Bureau of Wildlife, 625 Broadway, 5th Floor, Albany, NY 12233-4754.}

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
We can't stop our states power over everything. Letters, emails, phone calls.. I've done it all over the years.. Until we can flush the toilet in Albany we are screwed

21 - 38 of 38 Posts