Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
This was mentioned in a thread I started last month but the NY DEC wants to extend hunting season until January 1 in the southern district. This will knock 2 weeks off an already short season and make it hard for clubs to get trails ready.

People have until November 8th to write the DEC and tell them they are against this proposal. Extending the hunting season will hurt our sport, hurt the clubs and hurt local business who rely on the snowmobile season.

The information is attached......

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Can we email or does it have to be snail mail?

6 NYCRR <a>Part 1.11</a> - Amendment to Deer Hunting Seasons.

This rulemaking would establish a bow and muzzleloader deer hunting season in the Southern Zone during the Christmas and New Year holiday week.

Comments will be accepted until November 8, 2020.

Send to:

Jeremy Hurst
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
625 Broadway, 5th Fl.
Albany, NY 12233-4754
Telephone: (518) 402-8867

e-mail: Wildlife Regulations - Holiday Deer Hunt Proposal - [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
You can e-mail. I just e-mailed my letter into the two e-mail addresses listed in the latest NYSSA Magazine with my position against the proposal Here is the information for e-mail:

Please write the DEC, Jeremy Hurst, Division of Fish and Wildlife, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY, 12233, [email protected]AND send a copy of your letter to NYSSA, PO Box 740, Central Square, NY 13036 or send a scanned copy to [email protected].

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Here is the letter I wrote and e-mailed in case anyone wants to use any of it for their own letter:

October 16, 2020

Jeremy Hurst, Division of Fish and Wildlife - DEC

625 Broadway, Albany, NY, 12233

As an avid snowmobiler who travels into southern New York state every year, I am strongly against the proposal to extend the Hunting Season in the Southern Zone until January 1. The snowmobile season is very short as it. This proposal will hurt several groups such as snowmobilers, snowmobile clubs and small business who rely on snowmobiling to survive during the winter months.

I spend $135 per year in Snowmobile Registrations and thousands of dollars at restaurants, hotels and other businesses each year over the course of the season depending on the weather.

Three years ago the weather was good enough I spent over $1500 between Christmas and New Years in hotels and restaurants to ride. My cousin and his wife also joined us and spent a similar amount of money. The weather for the rest of the winter was not as good so had I not had the ability to ride during Christmas week because of the hunting season, those businesses would have lost that revenue for the season. Not to mention lost sales tax revenue for NY State.

COVID-19 has hurt several small businesses and this will have a similar effect. Also, Hunters will not be generating this type of revenue during the week between Christmas and New Year's when you consider the number of out of state people who come to southern New York to snowmobile and the tourism revenue involved.

This proposal will also make it very difficult for Snowmobile Clubs to prepare the lands used for snowmobiling in time to start the season, which will also have a negative impact on the sport and the state.

The proposal to extend the hunting season in the Southern Zone of New York is a bad idea and will hurt more people than it will benefit. Please do not enact this proposal

Sincerely,

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great Job Judge64 in getting this out there !

I am a hunter as well as a snowmobiler and I cannot understand what the DEC is attempting to pull off here.

Generally speaking, there are very few hunters out in the woods during the final week of the 23 day gun season as it is. And the colder it gets the less there will be.

I am trying to see where this is going to improve anything for anybody and I just don't see it.

Looks like I will have to have a chat with DEC in Albany at 518-402-8867.

Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I already got a response back from the NYSSA thanking me for sending the letter. They said every one of these letters will help our cause so send them if you can.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,539 Posts
Great Job Judge64 in getting this out there !

I am a hunter as well as a snowmobiler and I cannot understand what the DEC is attempting to pull off here.

Generally speaking, there are very few hunters out in the woods during the final week of the 23 day gun season as it is. And the colder it gets the less there will be.

I am trying to see where this is going to improve anything for anybody and I just don't see it.

Looks like I will have to have a chat with DEC in Albany at 518-402-8867.

Thanks !
Be nice if you call ,It might be my sister in law .I sent her a message ,She""ll give them my $.02

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
This is a bunch of B.S., I hunt have camp ,there claiming this would be a "nice" family hunt , that's what Thanksgiving is for.I don't get this at all,season is way to long as it is,they have killed youth small game hunting because deer season is so important and starts so early.Now they want to kill snowmobiling.Hell not many use the extended muzzle /bow week,we go down to camp because we like to hang out (drink beer !!) there isn't anyone hunting ,it's cold and many are ready to move on.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,539 Posts
Talked to my sister in law yesterday ,She said they got tons of letters ,and get many calls every day about this .She knows how i feel and sent a message to her boss .

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Word is the DEC is getting a lot more letters from hunters favoring extending the season than letters against the proposal from snowmobilers. This doesn't surprise me, most snowmobiliers I meet are pretty self-centered and are too lazy or stupid to write a letter. Just show up for a trail work day and it's just a bunch of old guys getting ready to age out of the sport.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I took @Judge64 letter and modified it a bit to specifically address the issues below. Those that volunteer for their local clubs (please volunteer!!) will understand.

This proposal will also make it very difficult for Snowmobile Clubs to prepare the lands used for snowmobiling in time to start the season, which will also have a negative impact on the sport and the state. I volunteer for my local snowmobile club to help sign the trails and we already have several landowners who will not allow us access to their land until hunting season ends. If the signing of these trails is delayed even further, we may not be able to complete the trail signs. There may be too much snow, the ground may be frozen or both.

As a hunter, I find there is enough time between archery, regular gun and late archery/muzzleloader seasons to harvest a quality deer. If I do not harvest a deer, it is usually my own fault. Also, when I was in college, I made the time to make it into the woods to hunt deer. There was an opportunity cost, such as not hanging out with my college friends those weekend days, staying up later during the week to get classwork or homework done, etc. Where there is a will to hunt, there is a way to get into the woods.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Word is the DEC is getting a lot more letters from hunters favoring extending the season than letters against the proposal from snowmobilers. This doesn't surprise me, most snowmobiliers I meet are pretty self-centered and are too lazy or stupid to write a letter. Just show up for a trail work day and it's just a bunch of old guys getting ready to age out of the sport.
Southern tier hasn't had much ridable snow in December lately.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
the herd does not need a longer season, they need a break, so their numbers don't plummet further........ They need this early winter to bulk up that last bit before the deep stuff hits. I hunt Chenango county, and do NOTR see enough deer to warrant a longer season. It is bad enough that the game wardens are non existant, laws scoffed at, and people take way more than legal, A year without a doe permit would do wonders.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Wow... painting with a broad brush today. Let everyone know what club you are in so it can be avoided.
I belong to one club but usually pound stakes and do trail work for 2 to 3 clubs every year in CNY and WNY. I am disheartened on trail work days to only see old guys, but then see lots of young people out riding the trail .... often before it is even open.

Sorry, but it is sad that a very small handful of snowmobilers will be the only ones to contact the DEC regarding this critical issue.

And yes, MOST years you can ride between Christmas and New Years in the "Southern Zone", especially in the areas subject to lake effect snow, Noreasters, and in higher elevation. And that time of the year the deer are mostly hunkered down, and with this proposed extension only for bow and black powder hunting, the potential impact for this extension decreasing the deer population is negligible. This only a ploy by the NYS DEC against motorized recreation and the businesses that rely on said recreation.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I see it as King Andy's way of sticking it to his upstate ''friends'' . Wink and a nod directions coming down the pipe since raiding the snowmobile fund is getting resistance.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
We were out doing trail work and talking about this....... wonder when they are going to make the decision on this.??

·
E-Tec Rules
33,762 Posts
Looks like it passed. Holiday hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts