Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a motorcycle trip this summer from Minnesota to Maine and thought that I would go a little further and visit Nova Scotia. Just wondering what there is to see there, if it be worth the extra miles. I have just started my research and found out about a place called Fossil cliffs that looks interesting. I am wondering what else there is to see there. Are they friendly toward english speaking americans or do they speak french that would cause communication problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My wife and I took a boat cruise up the coast from NewYork. We traveled to Halifax, St Johns, Prince Ed Is. what great country. All English speaking areas...Quebec is much more French. After getting off the boat in Quebec City, we took a tour of Valcourt factory. Great tour, nice people and beautiful country. Pace is a bit slower, scenery is wonderful.

you won't regret it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I live in Nova Scotia. Fossil Cliffs are ~20 minutes from where I currently live. I am very well traveled in Nova Scotia and all Maritime provinces and a lot of Quebec, Maine, NH etc. So I can probably answer some questions and offer some opinions. Nova Scotia is big area so you need to decide how much time and generally where you want to travel and things you like to do. Plus there are some fun roads worth riding a motorcycle on. It really depends on what you're looking for. The Cabot Trail is worthwhile on motorcycle, but is the other end of the province, so time maybe an issue. I can help on where and where not to go, I've spent most of my life travelling here and there. Nova Scotia is English, the Maritimer's are freindly.

Gaspe (Quebec) is not only good snowmobile destination but can be excellent bike ride, however Nova Scotia is only about 3 hours from US/Canada border (Calias, Maine/Saint Stephen NB) and Gaspe is bit further and might not fit into your plans

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The amount of time I spend there will depend on how much there is to see. I am in the preliminary planning stages. I am not interested in museums or art,I love to ride through mountains, Valleys, forests, and follow rivers and oceans. I don't like to be inside, I want to be on the open road on scenic highways or some small secluded paved road winding my way through natures sights and smells. Ever ride through the forest right after a good rain and feel the fresh air and smell the pine in the air, or come over the top of a mountain pass and your looking down at the world, then the road winds down and gradually brings you back to earth.
I would like to hear more about NS and will make a list of things to see, then prioritize it, figure out how much time out will take and then plan a route. Keep the suggestions coming

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
WIfe and I went there on our Honeymoon beautiful county. If you can spend some time on Cape Brenton Island...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like the Cabot Trail is right up your alley! After you do the Cabot trail you will likely have seen enough of N.S and be ready to head elsewhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Google the names on Google-Maps, it will give you an idea.

Lunenburg, Blue Rocks, Mahone Bay, Chester, St Margarets Bay, Peggy's Cove and then to waterfront in downtown Halifax. From Upper Tantallon take route 333 to Peggy's Cove and onto Prospect. This is all coast views, small villages, things to see and fun road for a bike.

Don't be fooled that the Cabot Trail is the only thing worth seeing in Nova Scotia. However if you choose to do the trial, I recommend riding it clockwise. From Canso Causeway ride to Mabou, Inverness, Cheticamp (Cabot Trail really starts here IMO and goes to Cape Smokey) then travel onto Baddeck.

If any of these areas sound worthwhile I can offer more details, roads, places to stay, things to do.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, Thanks for all the replies. I will have to start doing some research on the areas mentioned and start planning.I'm sure I will have Alot more questions. I'll be back!!!

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cabot trail is a must! Still doing my research for other places to see and things to do. Its going to be an awesome trip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts