Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was set on a new Cat Turbo but changed my mind to stay Doo and go with a new 800 E-Tech.Can't fathom buying a heavier sled and 1st year production potential issues,driveline and chassis wise that is as I know the motor is reliable.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The thing is Doo has--still has driveline and chassis issues: Clutch vibrates to the point you can see them wobble and feel vibration; the secondary needs bracing and/or floating secondary to ensure good belt life, the front end could use the bracing kits. So, while the Cat MAY have driveine/chassis issues--the Doo HAS those issues--plus crank/iso-flex.....and RPM inconsistencies, which nobody seems to have figured out (I couldn't--800 Etec). I should probably add mine blew up twice. Pick your poison.

But like you, I didn't want to go heavier--so I found a Cat which is a couple pounds lighter than the XRS and specs out similiarly--for about a thousand less: F800 Pro Cross Retro. I sold my Etec to a buddy (with fresh/new motor) so I should have some fun with/against my old sled. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
There are pluses and minuses to everything and never a perfect answer. In terms of the limitations of the light Ski Doo chassis, there are very effective braces that are commercially available and that will cost you only a few hundred dollars total and some time to install. That will take care of many of the weaknesses.

I have been seeing here complaints of clutch vibration and poor belt life on the 800 ETECs, but I fortunately do not have that problem on mine (at least not yet). Not sure how prevalent the issue is. You will never get that insight on a web board.

First year productions are a chance. Just look at the issues regarding the first year ETECs. At least you can make an informed decision on the ETEC.

No matter what your choice is, you will love some things about it and really not like other things.

I can guarantee you will love the performance of the 800 ETEC!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
It aways amaze me to read this forum and to find out what a absolute and complete POS all these XP,s seems to be and how many problems people are having with them. The biggest problem i have is to try & figure out why my 2 800r ('05 &'08) ran flawless through trough the last 6 seasons and why the other 10 plus etec 6&800's in our group all seems to run like a swiss clock. and no we dont baby them, this year went on a 7 day 1700km trip, flat out most of the time on remote trail/back country riding and lo & behold not one single POS Doo blew up

BOTTOMLINE. I AM JUST HAPPY THAT WE ARE SO LUCKY TO ALWAYS GET THE EXELLENT DOOS AND SO MANY PEOPLE HERE HAVE THEM SUPPOSEDLY FALL APART IF YOU FART NEXT TO THEM. I will try my luck again this year with a 800etec freeride

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It aways amaze me to read this forum and to find out what a absolute and complete POS all these XP,s seems to be and how many problems people are having with them. The biggest problem i have is to try & figure out why my 2 800r ('05 &'08) ran flawless through trough the last 6 seasons and why the other 10 plus etec 6&800's in our group all seems to run like a swiss clock. and no we dont baby them, this year went on a 7 day 1700km trip, flat out most of the time on remote trail/back country riding and lo & behold not one single POS Doo blew up

BOTTOMLINE. I AM JUST HAPPY THAT WE ARE SO LUCKY TO ALWAYS GET THE EXELLENT DOOS AND SO MANY PEOPLE HERE HAVE THEM SUPPOSEDLY FALL APART IF YOU FART NEXT TO THEM. I will try my luck again this year with a 800etec freeride
Yeah, I must be one of the lucky ones to. My 04 Rev 800 HO has 5,600 trouble free miles on it and my 09 XP 800R has 3,500 trouble free miles so combined that makes for 9K plus trouble free miles on Doo 800s with the isoflex crank setup. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
There are pluses and minuses to everything and never a perfect answer. In terms of the limitations of the light Ski Doo chassis, there are very effective braces that are commercially available and that will cost you only a few hundred dollars total and some time to install. That will take care of many of the weaknesses.

I have been seeing here complaints of clutch vibration and poor belt life on the 800 ETECs, but I fortunately do not have that problem on mine (at least not yet). Not sure how prevalent the issue is. You will never get that insight on a web board.

First year productions are a chance. Just look at the issues regarding the first year ETECs. At least you can make an informed decision on the ETEC.

No matter what your choice is, you will love some things about it and really not like other things.

I can guarantee you will love the performance of the 800 ETEC!!!
Yet--conversely, my buddy's 2008 800 had no issues and has just started using belts--probably collapsed motor mount.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The thing is Doo has--still has driveline and chassis issues: Clutch vibrates to the point you can see them wobble and feel vibration; the secondary needs bracing and/or floating secondary to ensure good belt life, the front end could use the bracing kits. So, while the Cat MAY have driveine/chassis issues--the Doo HAS those issues--plus crank/iso-flex.....and RPM inconsistencies, which nobody seems to have figured out (I couldn't--800 Etec). I should probably add mine blew up twice. Pick your poison.

But like you, I didn't want to go heavier--so I found a Cat which is a couple pounds lighter than the XRS and specs out similiarly--for about a thousand less: F800 Pro Cross Retro. I sold my Etec to a buddy (with fresh/new motor) so I should have some fun with/against my old sled. Stay tuned.
I'm sure you will like your new F8. I liked the old F8 which weighed 60 lbs more and had about 20 less hp. The newer ones with their 160+hp 800 HO engines should be pretty fast and now that it lost 60 lbs for 2012 it should be a pretty nice scooter. It will still have the most comfortable rider position in the industry (Doo is a close second in this regard) and it will still have that magic carpet ride floating front arm skid and it sounds like they've made the steering effort even lighter for 2012. The only downside I can see is it being a first year chassis and no one gets a first year chassis 100% right. There's always areas of needeed improvement and subsequent updates and tweaks etc after the first full production run. I almost bought an 09 F8 instead of my 09 XP 800R, it was a tough call. In the end I stuck with Doo mostly because of the terrible luck I've had with Cat in the past, every one we've ever owned had issues. The last one I owned I sold after only one season cuz so much crap went wrong with it and I bought it brand new. If you talk to Cat guys it's usually not major problems like engines going down but it's a lot of little annoying issues that drive them nuts...I"ve had much better luck with Doo as far as quality goes but everyone's experiences are different....

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
it is sorta like pick your poison, all have they're good and bad you just need to choose which one's you like most and what you can put up with, IMO another very important thing (if not the most important) is the best dealer that can look after you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
it is sorta like pick your poison, all have they're good and bad you just need to choose which one's you like most and what you can put up with, IMO another very important thing (if not the most important) is the best dealer that can look after you.
You are right. Having a very good dealer with tecnicians who is on their game and who will support you is almost more important than the make. I find this would often be dealers( like the guys on here) who are passionate about riding themselves and about always finding bthe best setup. whe have a big doodealer locally with useless reputation for customer servive wich make al lot of us drive 4 hours away to an exellent doo dealer

·
Registered
800 Posts

You are a clown! I can only hope you get stuck with a problem sled next time around that will change your tune. Oh by the way your 08 didn't have any issues like drive shaft or heated grips rave valve or belt issues. Then again my wife would not have noticed them either.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You are a clown! I can only hope you get stuck with a problem sled next time around that will change your tune. Oh by the way your 08 didn't have any issues like drive shaft or heated grips rave valve or belt issues. Then again my wife would not have noticed them either.
of course they had issuses but my dealer took care of them.i have had some issues with every one of my sportscars, 4x4, bikes, seadoos,etc. all high tec machinery is close to the edge so chit happens at time. i have no doubt that there are lemons and sounds like you have had your share.
all i was trying to say is that the doos i ride & ride with has been pretty good to us, possibly because whe have good supportive dealers.
as for your wife, well lets rather leave her out of this before someones feelings gets hurt

·
Registered
800 Posts
of course they had issuses but my dealer took care of them.i have had some issues with every one of my sportscars, 4x4, bikes, seadoos,etc. all high tec machinery is close to the edge so chit happens at time. i have no doubt that there are lemons and sounds like you have had your share.
all i was trying to say is that the doos i ride & ride with has been pretty good to us, possibly because whe have good supportive dealers.
as for your wife, well lets rather leave her out of this before someones feelings gets hurt
I have to say if I had never experienced any of the things you read on here I would be skeptical to, I had an 03 rev and 05 Rev that where both flawless great machines. My 08 800 had all the problems you read about here, heated grips , gauge cluster,drive shaft, rave valves and a ton of belts. My 2010 I loved for the first 500 miles after that it was all over. It was getting 8-10 mpg and using so much oil it would leave a black strip in the snow. Every weekend I had to drag the sled from my cabin back to the dealer (3Hrs each way) and they could not come up with a fix. BRP got involved with their techs and still came up with nothing. Why would I come on here and make up that story??? What would I have to gain? Nothing I am like many that was just very frustrated and disappointed about something I was so excited about. The good news for me is I have an excellent dealer that never turned their back on me, they fought along side me and I have a 2012 800 etec coming in the fall/ Hopefully things get figured out as I am sure they will. Doo has some serious competition for the first time in along time. Oh and the inconsistent rpm issue is real and a real problem that as of last year they had no fix yet. I hope you get another good running sled this year but if you don't you will fully understand the frustration that comes from some posts. By the way my wife probably would notice the issues anyways

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have to say if I had never experienced any of the things you read on here I would be skeptical to, I had an 03 rev and 05 Rev that where both flawless great machines. My 08 800 had all the problems you read about here, heated grips , gauge cluster,drive shaft, rave valves and a ton of belts. My 2010 I loved for the first 500 miles after that it was all over. It was getting 8-10 mpg and using so much oil it would leave a black strip in the snow. Every weekend I had to drag the sled from my cabin back to the dealer (3Hrs each way) and they could not come up with a fix. BRP got involved with their techs and still came up with nothing. Why would I come on here and make up that story??? What would I have to gain? Nothing I am like many that was just very frustrated and disappointed about something I was so excited about. The good news for me is I have an excellent dealer that never turned their back on me, they fought along side me and I have a 2012 800 etec coming in the fall/ Hopefully things get figured out as I am sure they will. Doo has some serious competition for the first time in along time. Oh and the inconsistent rpm issue is real and a real problem that as of last year they had no fix yet. I hope you get another good running sled this year but if you don't you will fully understand the frustration that comes from some posts. By the way my wife probably would notice the issues anyways
X2,

·
Registered
489 Posts
i would be just as "edit for bad language" off as you were with that sled. for both our sakes i hope that they have a good toy for us in the '12 800etec. guess i was just tying to say that not all sleds are bad and that is how if feels sometimes when you read dootalk, but no doubt there are peolple like yourself that have terrible ones.
will be very interesti ng to see what happens in the next 2 years the new cat might be the real deal, also poo is coming on stronger again

·
Super Moderator
18,023 Posts
I'm definitely interested in seeing what doo is going to answer the new sleds with. Polaris has really come along way. Arctic cat I'm not sure what to think since all they gave us at shows was some show sleds and no demos. Either way imo its anyone's game now and they all need to stop pretending every little update is a game changer lol!

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I'm definitely interested in seeing what doo is going to answer the new sleds with. Polaris has really come along way. Arctic cat I'm not sure what to think since all they gave us at shows was some show sleds and no demos. Either way imo its anyone's game now and they all need to stop pretending every little update is a game changer lol!
Well except for Yamaha's! They seriously need to do something. Weight reduction mainly...rather than developing technology to hide the weight. From what I understand, most people find the steering on xp's at least so light there'd be no benefit to power steering. XR's too I presume, and if both xp and xr front ends are aggressive enough to go where they're pointed while still being very light steering, I can't see why Ski-Doo would need that $ adding weight adding technology. Anyway Yamaha needs to lose weight, and improve their handling, before being in the game. The other three, as others have alluded to, are quite close now.

I'd be torn between the RUSH 800 Switchback ProR (or 800 Assault ProR if there is such a beast), the Cat XF800HO SnoPro (or limited version), the Cat XF1100T SnoPro (or limited version, or ProClimb SnoPro or HCR using either engine if more off trail), the 800ETec Renegade X if rMOTION is offered on the 137's, if not than an MXZ XRS 800ETec 120" (or 1200 4Tec Renegade X or if no rMOTION on 137's then a 120" as you can always extend the rMOTION). There's just nothing that Yamaha has compared to all of those offerings primarily because of even the Nytro's weight. Obviously if Doo releases a 480 lb 900 ACE turbo Renegade X that would be a no-brainer but until then the turbo Cat is enticing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 03 has 8600miles on it and has not had one problem yet, standard matenance oil,lube, belts, coolant flush.. thats about it. hasn't skipped a beat yet..

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Stay away from first year stuff and your luck will improve... There's always bugs the first year a new chassis or new engine comes out. That's not to say something can't go wrong on a 2nd year sled but your odds are way better....Don't get me wrong, i"m not saying the issues were your fault, just that you can improve your luck by waiting one more year that's all...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts