Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock sled 04 800ho 300 miles on it. 144 1.175 studs. On the primary the belt only goes about half of inch from top. What can Ido to get full shiftout? This was on a long long wide open run. Thank for any help.

·
Samsquamch
1,652 Posts
This is normal for these sleds...they are "over geared" I geared mine down 2 teeth (what I was suggested) and marked my clutches with a marker.....havnt been able to RUN it yet (far enough) to see if it shifts fully....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dooinvt said:
This is normal for these sleds...they are "over geared" I geared mine down 2 teeth (what I was suggested) and marked my clutches with a marker.....havnt been able to RUN it yet (far enough) to see if it shifts fully....
[snapback]262671[/snapback]​
Dooinvt, Could you keep me updated when you run your sled with the lower gear? Are you running the 24 top gear with stock bottom? I was thinking of trying this, However I don't want to loose any topend.

·
Advanced......dat's how ah roll.
1,950 Posts
zooker said:
Dooinvt said:
Dooinvt, Could you keep me updated when you run your sled with the lower gear? Are you running the 24 top gear with stock bottom? I was thinking of trying this, However I don't want to loose any topend.
[snapback]263548[/snapback]​
Actually, if you're not shifting out all the way, gearing down may get you a couple miles an hour.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
zooker said:
Dooinvt said:
[snapback]263548[/snapback]​
I went down one tooth on mine no top end lost at all I was going to go down to 24 also but traded sled

·
Samsquamch
1,652 Posts
The theory behind it is,that the 800 H.O. was over geared from the factory,I"m not sure of the formula,but the info that I gathered is that the sled 's gearing is equal to a 138mph top end speed....
We all know that unless you have some MAJOR mods,that'll never happen...so in all reallity if you gear it down it should pull full shift wich in turn should give you more top end mph....

I'll let you know....

I'm running a 24T top gear/stock bottom..

I'm also running a Cudney clutch kit...I havnt been able to run it much too notice any gains...but I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
404 Posts
All sleds are geared for higher speeds than you would normally see except for that perfect day. If you are looking for top speed, ie( speed run) chaincase gearing can be set for high theoretical top speeds. Use the largest top and smallest bottom sprocket available. This will keep the belt low in the drive pulley which lowers the belt and countershaft speed which makes the transmission more efficient. If you are racing ovals then gear for the speed you will go on the course. If you are into drag racing gear for about 10% over the actual speed you will run in the race. This is not info that I just made up, this comes right out of the Ski-Doo racing handbook. This is a book that is a must read to dispell all the crap that you read on this board at times! I know most have good intensions, but most should keep their ideas to themselves. I have raced in the past, mostly radar runs and I know what works. But I do not claim to be a expert by any means. But I have tried and followed the guidlines from Ski-Doos racing handbook and I have several trophies that prove their info correct.

·
Samsquamch
1,652 Posts
Laker said:
All sleds are geared for higher speeds than you would normally see except for that perfect day. If you are looking for top speed, ie( speed run) chaincase gearing can be set for high theoretical top speeds. Use the largest top and smallest bottom sprocket available. This will keep the belt low in the drive pulley which lowers the belt and countershaft speed which makes the transmission more efficient. If you are racing ovals then gear for the speed you will go on the course. If you are into drag racing gear for about 10% over the actual speed you will run in the race. This is not info that I just made up, this comes right out of the Ski-Doo racing handbook. This is a book that is a must read to dispell all the crap that you read on this board at times! I know most have good intensions, but most should keep their ideas to themselves. I have raced in the past, mostly radar runs and I know what works. But I do not claim to be a expert by any means. But I have tried and followed the guidlines from Ski-Doos racing handbook and I have several trophies that prove their info correct.
[snapback]264635[/snapback]​
If your belt is riding too low in your primary...(i.e. not fully shifting out).. you will NEVER reach top operating gear ratio....or the top speed your gear ratio is set for...

We are not talking about"drag racing","oval racing",or top speed runs,we were talking about "proper operation"... of the clutches

·
Samsquamch
1,652 Posts
Laker said:
I know most have good intensions, but most should keep their ideas to themselves. I have raced in the past, mostly radar runs and I know what works. But I do not claim to be a expert by any means.
[snapback]264635[/snapback]​
Further more...MY ideas are not MINE...this info that I have passed on here...DID come from the "EXPERTS"...(Bill Cudney,Big John, etc.) these guys DOO this for a LIVING......

·
Registered
757 Posts
These guys are right zooker. Almost all Doos are over geared. They don't have the power to pull the sled at full shift (belt riding at the top of primary) with the stock gears. Therefore they will never achieve thier calculated top speed. The only way they will is if you drop it off a cliff.
With that information the best and cheapest thing to do is re-gear to achieve a full shift. On my 600 I dropped 2 teeth on top and saw an increase in top end. The sled also got there faster too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2002mxzx said:
These guys are right zooker. Almost all Doos are over geared. They don't have the power to pull the sled at full shift (belt riding at the top of primary) with the stock gears. Therefore they will never achieve thier calculated top speed. The only way they will is if you drop it off a cliff.
With that information the best and cheapest thing to do is re-gear to achieve a full shift. On my 600 I dropped 2 teeth on top and saw an increase in top end. The sled also got there faster too.
[snapback]265775[/snapback]​
If I drop the top gear by two teath can I run the stock chain?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
zooker said:
2002mxzx said:
[snapback]265775[/snapback]​
If I drop the top gear by two teath can I run the stock chain?
[snapback]266699[/snapback]​
I have been told you can drop two teeth and use the stock chain but it is at its limit. I will let you know as my gear is on its way here and I will be changing it in the morning.

·
Samsquamch
1,652 Posts
Yes,you can drop 2 teeth and still use the stock chain...but it is at its limit,..after that ,you need a new chain.

AND,....THE Ghost is right...you'll need more pin weight...thats why I'm running Cudneys kit...new springs,helix and adjustable pins.....

I still dont know how this setup is going to work,because WE HAVE NOOOOoo SNOWWWW....

But,I have no doubts about it at all,because it come from the people who KNOW

·
Samsquamch
1,652 Posts
Well,I got a chance to run my sled some.....clutch kit is AWESOME..! I am getting FULL SHIFT out on my clutches!!! Pulls hard and smoothe,backshift is seemeless,and always right there!
As far as top end speed goes,well,thats a tough one,see.....my rings are....well....you all know about the rings.....ANYWAY,she wont pull 8 grand,hits it quick drops to about 7500,back up to 7800 and hangs there....

I will say,that I was hitting the same #'s on my speedo that I hit last year,110-115mph (speedo,remind you) and my sled isnt reving to peak power.....so,in go the new rings, and I'm expecting to pull quite a bit more mph on top after she's fixed!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts