Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought i would add some good news to the fray.

2005 800x ptech 4250 miles now.
2 sets new plugs, 1belt , run premium fuel,
6 oz of iso each tank. allways and i mean allways warmed up.
i allso run 6 oz of oil per tank. i run torco semi synthetic oil.
i am not a lake racer, mainly ditches, i am allways blurping the throttle as it cools
the pistom /exhaust temp down.

my 2003 800 blair had 3600 miles, rings ,seals, but no burn downs

·
Registered
477 Posts
Soooooooooooooo are you looking for some kind of award?
All series 3 rotax engs. suck. Compare them to the reliabilty of the old rotary engs. of yester year. Not even close!
Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Not even close!
If you had verifiable figures I would take that bet!

I would go on the bet that the new motors are more reliable than ALL previous motors. selling a lot more sleds now too-

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
danx123 said:

i am not a lake racer, mainly ditches, i am allways blurping the throttle as it cools

[snapback]721560[/snapback]​
It is nice to here some good news, thank you for the post.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ripcord said:
All series 3 rotax engs. suck. Compare them to the reliabilty of the old rotary engs. of yester year. Not even close!
Just my opinion though.
[snapback]722137[/snapback]​
Some people are just negative!! I had a 03 800 with no problems, and I now have a 06 PT with no problems. I ride with a lot of Skidoo's with the Series 3 Rotax. 10 of us. There has only been 1 motor failure. It was last March on a 03 800 with 4000+ miles on it. I'd have to say they are pretty reliable engines.

Just like Viper said, they are selling more sleds with the series 3 motors than the older ones!!!

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
ViperER said:
Not even close!

I would go on the bet that the new motors are more reliable than ALL previous motors. selling a lot more sleds now too-
[snapback]722191[/snapback]​
I agree with that, we had more failures on 670s with 25% of the miles on them than we put on series 3 engines in our group.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Jeb said:
ViperER said:
Not even close!

[snapback]722191[/snapback]​
I agree with that, we had more failures on 670s with 25% of the miles on them than we put on series 3 engines in our group.
[snapback]722386[/snapback]​
You made an excellent point there!!! With the REV, people are putting a lot more miles on the sleds than before. It isn't very hard to put 250 miles on a REV in a day. I remember with the "old" sleds, I would have a hard time putting 1000 miles on in a season. Now I have a hard time NOT to put over 2000 miles on in a season. Great point!!!!

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
I'm with viper.....

I would ather rering a series3 then recrank bearing a 670.....been there done that...BJ

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,675 Posts
Better than my '03 800. First 900 miles on it I took out set of rings and motor and had to be replaced then rings after 230 miles in that one. '06 Power TEK first 900 miles only piston, jug, head and crank and 2 chains, yup getting better!
-Grover

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Ride my buddy's 06 Ptec 800X lots and it is flawless with around 4k on it and also his 05 800X P tec the same. He loves the motor and the Ptec....as doo I !

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
Ripcord said:
All series 3 rotax engs. suck.
and you would know this because????????????????

Maybe you had one, and had a problem.....so you decided they all suck and you are going to get a POO cause its alot more reliable

·
Registered
395 Posts
danx123 said:

im guessing you mean alcohol by iso, if yes why? and oil in tank why? i want to get as much as possible out of mine also, i put 1 gallon of 110 octane to 9.5 premium in every tank. curious about what you do

·
Registered
745 Posts
kerry1355 said:
danx123 said:

im guessing you mean alcohol by iso, if yes why? and oil in tank why? i want to get as much as possible out of mine also, i put 1 gallon of 110 octane to 9.5 premium in every tank. curious about what you do
[snapback]722770[/snapback]​
If it's working for him tough to argue. He has no probs with over 4k miles. I have burnt 1 motor in my PT due to oil pump failure... Fluke. Since then 2000 miles and no problems, I use cheapest gas available, whatever oil I can get my hands on when I need it(oil is oil and nobody can tell me any diff.), and never used any fuel additive. Pretty reliable IMO.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
kerry1355 said:
danx123 said:

[snapback]722770[/snapback]​
Alcohol to prevent water in fuel from accumulatiing and freezing causing a lean burndown. And the oil in the fuel would be for some added lubrication for crank band rod bearings where the case has gained alot of heat due to lean calibration, thus benefiting from the added lube circulating in the case.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ripcord said:
Just my opinion though.
That time of the month again eh?
Go ride your polaris...what a joke.

danx123- glad to hear your sled is spot on
4000 miles on our 600 HO with no problems...we re-ringed for the hell of it at 2500 miles cuz we were putting in ceramic dome pistons. very happy with our doo's.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Alcohol to prevent water in fuel from accumulatiing and freezing causing a lean burndown. And the oil in the fuel would be for some added lubrication for crank band rod bearings where the case has gained alot of heat due to lean calibration, thus benefiting from the added lube circulating in the case.

ill have to say, ive always put alcohol in a truck but never heard of it in a snowmobile, is it safe or recomended, i was thinking of setting my oil pump up a little as my plugs look a little more tan then brown, would this produce the same results as say mixing 100 to 1 along with standard oil settings. i have always mixed the first tank for breakin, also can it do anything to the carbs. we go to far back in the mountains, and i hate the thought of having to try and get a sled out of the places we ride even more so if its mine. give me some more info

·
Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it Snow
1,015 Posts
Color of your plugs is more dependendent on your jetting not your oil settings.
kerry1355 said:

ill have to say, ive always put alcohol in a truck but never heard of it in a snowmobile, is it safe or recomended, i was thinking of setting my oil pump up a little as my plugs look a little more tan then brown, would this produce the same results as say mixing 100 to 1 along with standard oil settings. i have always mixed the first tank for breakin, also can it do anything to the carbs. we go to far back in the mountains, and i hate the thought of having to try and get a sled out of the places we ride even more so if its mine. give me some more info
[snapback]724895[/snapback]​

1 - 20 of 29 Posts