Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 800x and i have no top end my brothers summits run me down on top end. I can only hit 100 mph on the road weve tried everything from stock cluthing to clutch kit to CPI pipe to stock pipe. The clutch will not shift out it is about 1/2 inch from the top. I took it to birds sno sports and they had it for a week and couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. We evan tried my brothers MPEM box and didnt help so its probably not that. Well thats my dillema if anyone has any suggestions it would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the Pipe said:
Make sure your rings are good. Also if your raves are dirty and sticking it will kill your top end.
[snapback]257558[/snapback]​
I replaced rings this summer and checked the raves they were fine.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
You may have lost some speed with the track size, what rpm are you topping out at ? could be gearing
also when adding after market pipes unless dynoed to verify any gain in hp, you sometimes lose hp.
Though I don't advocate going over 100mph's, those are my suggestions.

Rich

On edit what head ? and what cc are you at ? and what is your squish at?

·
Registered
335 Posts
swap the clutches and gears with your brothers and see which one runs better. that will tell you if its the engine not making power.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A local guy did my head i dont know the specs off hand but i had it done with my other 800 and never a problem so im sure its not that. Had a 1.5 track on my 01 800 and never lost any top end. This sled seemed to run great at the start of last year then it all of a sudden just lost it it the motor feels strong but it just wont go. I'll try swapping gears and clutches thanks for the idea sleeperzx. Is there a possiblilty that the stator is going bad what would be the symptoms of that. we evan went down to a 22 for the top gear didnt help.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
get some 2mm oversized tra rollers ,this will help with the not shifting out all the way also,check the outer cercumference of all you belts and run the smaller one,.goodluck.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
All of the above and what do the plugs look like ?
Are you sure not sucking air ? crank seal ,carb boots,or the head gkt.
Give us your compression #'s

Rich

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive been fouling out plugs this year i went through 8 already but went down on pilots and havent had a problem yet but only went 50 miles since then. compression is 145 on both sides when the engine was warm

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put my brothers clutches and gears in mine and it shifts out better than my set up but still has no top end

·
Registered
393 Posts
Cubswin said:
I put my brothers clutches and gears in mine and it shifts out better than my set up but still has no top end
[snapback]258842[/snapback]​
Give Bill Cudney a call.....he's always been more than happy to help me out.

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
First off...the CPI doesnt work unless ceramic coated- even then...I'll take the stock pipe w/HPS any day.

as for clutching and gearing w/1.75" track-

23/45 gearing
414 ramps
200/320 spring
19-20 grams
47/40 cam
violet spring

adj pin weight as needed to run 8000 rpm on the tack on clickers 3 or 4, buy a crank shop clutch alignment tool,and keep the belt tight (track spins 1 mph when sled is lifted off the ground)- and with the stock pipe...run stock jetting- I offer a trail torquer kit to perk things up..comes with the chrome rings...did you put the chrome rings in this summer or the stock moly rings?-BJ

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought an 05 800 X Renegade with a 1.75 lug track on it but have not yet rode it.

Should I expect this one's top end to be lagging?

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
You say you've been fouling plugs? Try going down on your main jets? I only say this, because your main jets control the fuel during top speed runs. This has nothing to do with your clutch issue obviously.

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
Dude, you're turning a 1 3/4" track!!

If you are able to get much over 100 MPH with your sled I would be suprised, think of all the extra air and snow you are churning at 100 MPH with those paddles whipping around the suspension and under the tunnel.

Wanna go faster?? IMHO, get a shorter lug track.

Jerry C.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree that is a large track for the trail , 1.25 is the best of both worlds . run a crank dyno on your sled , check peak horsepower at max rpm . its the best way to check your engines power output , sometimes the apple is rotten on the inside.if motor checks out great seek a professional for clutching and gear set up . you have a handicap with a 1.75 track, not a good top speed track.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate the advice guys as for two long of a track i dont believe thats it I ran a 1.5 on a 01 mxz 800 and never had a speed issue. I am running 390's for mains.
And Big John thanks for the advice i'll try that set up.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have an 05 800 with the 1.25 track. I see about 104 on snow and should see 110 maybe on a plowed road. I am going to try to up my clicker to get some more RPM. I am at 78-7900 right now. i was a little disappointed in the top speed but coming from a T Cat that is to be expected. I love the low and mid and that is worth the top end.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
granted it is on the Doo speedo, but I saw 113 yesterday on a lake with my 03 800

1 - 20 of 41 Posts