Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Boondocking Connoisseur
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled is an 09 Summit 800R 154. Doing some boondocking back in the woods this weekend northwest of Watersmeet with two guys. Got to the top of a hill and sled bogged down and died. Tried starting it and it would sputter, misfire, and die again. Eventually this also stopped and it would just crank. Pulled the plugs and got no spark.

As we were trying to pull the sled through a swamp (with little success) I tried the starter and it fired right up. We threw a belt back on it and I took off, got out of the woods and onto a road. At constant rpm's it ran fine, but when I tried to accelerate it would misfire, run rough, but eventually get up there. When I got to the highway the sled died again and wouldn't start. Hitchhiked in to town because being the smart person I have I didn't have spare plugs with me. Put the new plugs in and still nothing. Called someone, loaded it into a truck and when we got back to the house it started instantly.

Any ideas? I have heard that some wires rub behind the can/chaincase, so hopefully its that easy. I think it might be possible that everything just got soaked because we were in some untouched. So it's drying out in the garage now. I will check coil, voltage regulator when I get a chance.

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Last year, with basically the same sled, A similar thing happened to me. I didn't check the plugs. But that night I did some research and came to find out it was a wire or two, going to the voltage regulator, had rubbed enough on the chassis and started grounding out. Preventing me from having fun cut my buddies short of a good day. So yea check that...remove the can and that plastic/foam/heat guard to get to the voltage regulater easier. Hope that's the only issue for ya.

·
Boondocking Connoisseur
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I felt bad for my group because this was our last good weekend, and they were stuck helping me. I'm going to check spark plug wires and all others

·
Registered
621 Posts
Might've had the same thing as what happened to me. There is 4 bolts inside the casing that your pull start bolts onto. My bolts in there came out and destroyed the pickup coils. Might pop off your pull start (real easy with the exhaust off, like 5mins maybe) and see if everything looks good in there. Otherwise I'd checking anything spark related, including those wires behind the chaincase. Goodluck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
621 Posts
mine also was sporadic with that bolt in there, I would sometimes get spark and sometimes not. I guess maybe it would sometimes get electricity off the stator and sometimes not idk. My money is on the previous mention problem or those wires behind the chaincase.

·
Registered
391 Posts
check the plugs for the power wires to the coil, the positive side has a tendency to corrode and break or fall off. I just crimped a new connector on and have had no issues since.

·
Registered
360 Posts
check the plugs for the power wires to the coil, the positive side has a tendency to corrode and break or fall off. I just crimped a new connector on and have had no issues since.
X2. Happened on my '09 earlier this season. Dealer said it's really common on older XPs. At least it's an easy fix.

·
Boondocking Connoisseur
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, let it melt off in the garage the last two nights, planning on bringing it to the shop this weekend. I'll let you know what I find!

·
Boondocking Connoisseur
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after being out of town for a week I haven't had much time to work on the sled. I'll post updates as I go.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The wire in question that grounds out against the chassis is directly under the oil tank.
I had the same issue. Sled would randomly die while just sitting idling.
I ended up finding the wire when in the middle of replacing the e-module due to a crash.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Adub69

·
Boondocking Connoisseur
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought a coil for $18 on ebay. Plugged it in and it cranked for less than a second and fired right up! I'll probably buy a spare in case this happens again. Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts