Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've got a 1998 Summit 670, only 800 miles on it.
I bought it one month ago, it ran great until last week. I went out and it started to act weird, the engine would shut down unexpectedly. I would have it sit for 5 minutes then it would start again fine. Did that many times, but always started. Yesterday, I started it, it ran for 5 minutes, then nothing. Totally dead. I thought it was a gas issue, water in tank or something. I cleaned and drained everything, it was not.
I checked the spark plugs, but NO spark! At all.
I have the shop manual, tested all the electric as suggested in the book. It all seemed alright, liked indicated in the manual. But still no spark.

Any ideas? Suggestions? What should I do, I need my machine!

Thanks much!!

J.

G

·
sure sounds like what a stator does when it goes bad. double check all your plug connections. my 99 670 ho had a issue with no spark so i started unpluging and re pluging all electrical connections and it started working. the way you describe it sounds like a stator going bad. electrical gremlins suck! good luck ERIC

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure sounds like what a stator does when it goes bad. double check all your plug connections. my 99 670 ho had a issue with no spark so i started unpluging and re pluging all electrical connections and it started working. the way you describe it sounds like a stator going bad. electrical gremlins suck! good luck ERIC
Thanks Eric.
We did unplug all or most of the plug connections. Still didn't work after that...
Isn't that strange though that the stator goes bad with so few miles on the machine?
Is it the only possible thing not working if electrics seems all ok?

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Thanks Eric.
We did unplug all or most of the plug connections. Still didn't work after that...
Isn't that strange though that the stator goes bad with so few miles on the machine?
It is very posible that the ignition module ( cdi ) is bad (#13) .
Check the stator for resistance and shorts according to shop manual and if it passes then its probably the module.
Unfortunatly there is no way to test the module.
Maybe you can find one from a buddys sled to plug in and try.

http://216.37.204.206/xtremepowersports/Sk...;A=285&B=10

G

·
Thanks Eric.
stators are a funny thing they can leave you in the middle of nowhere at any moment. milage has nothing to do with em. my mach z has a tad over 6000 mi on it and it may still be the original. you hate to replace somthing if its not the problem. and electrical parts are not return able. you did check it with new plugs right??? kill switch o.k??? c.d.i is not out of the question either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stators are a funny thing they can leave you in the middle of nowhere at any moment. milage has nothing to do with em. my mach z has a tad over 6000 mi on it and it may still be the original. you hate to replace somthing if its not the problem. and electrical parts are not return able. you did check it with new plugs right??? kill switch o.k??? c.d.i is not out of the question either.
Hi!
Yeah, I did check with new plugs, but still nothing.
All the switches seemed ok, although something odd happened. I am not an electrician and it's been a while since I used a voltmeter, but I was testing close and open circuit like suggested in the manual.
For the kill switch, when switch down (kill machine), the resistance indicated 0.L like supposed to. When up, it showed numbers, when the book says it supposed to show 0. And for the tether cord, it was the contrary that expected, it showed 0.L with the key on and values when the key wasn't on. Again, the book suggested 0 instead of values... Any suggestions about that??

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is very posible that the ignition module (cdi) is bad (#13) .
I had one fail on my 98 MXZ 670 years ago.
Check the stator for resistance and shorts according to shop manual and if it passes then its probably the module.
Unfortunatly there is no way to test the module.
Maybe you can find one from a buddys sled to plug in and try.

http://216.37.204.206/xtremepowersports/Sk...;A=285&B=10
OK, thanks. I will check the stator, for some reasons I did not see a procedure to test it in the manual, but I will double check.

·
RV Mod Maniac
1,660 Posts
Hello,
I've got a 1998 Summit 670, only 800 miles on it.
I bought it one month ago, it ran great until last week. I went out and it started to act weird, the engine would shut down unexpectedly. I would have it sit for 5 minutes then it would start again fine. Did that many times, but always started. Yesterday, I started it, it ran for 5 minutes, then nothing. Totally dead. I thought it was a gas issue, water in tank or something. I cleaned and drained everything, it was not.
I checked the spark plugs, but NO spark! At all.
I have the shop manual, tested all the electric as suggested in the book. It all seemed alright, liked indicated in the manual. But still no spark.

Any ideas? Suggestions? What should I do, I need my machine!

Thanks much!!

J.
is this a summit x model with the Ho engine? the ho's were notorious for bad grounds in the cdi. they had an ignition totally seperate from all other 670's..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds like stator for sure. I had one go out on the 670 ho this yr.. Take it apart and just check for burnt wires or the smell. All you need is a couple standard tools and a 3 tower puller.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like stator for sure. I had one go out on the 670 ho this yr.. Take it apart and just check for burnt wires or the smell. All you need is a couple standard tools and a 3 tower puller.
Ok I will do that, thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just checked the stator. No visible burnt wires or smell
It did smell strange in there, but that was not burning. How do you change it anyway, it is hardly possible to have it moved from its place as the wires are so short!
I did test the resistance on it, indicates 0.L in open circuit and about 0.00 in close, which I believe is what I want. Couldn't find how to test the stator in the manual! Suggestions?

G

·
yes 98-99 are the only 2 yrs for the 670 ho they put em in 98 summits and 99 mxz's there is a difference in all parts. regular 670 stuff is not the same as 670 ho parts. so be sure what you have before looking for parts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes 98-99 are the only 2 yrs for the 670 ho they put em in 98 summits and 99 mxz's there is a difference in all parts. regular 670 stuff is not the same as 670 ho parts. so be sure what you have before looking for parts.
Good to know, I am going to try to find the info as I am not sure...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
According to the microfiche, that cdi box was only used on that sled only.
The 99 HO is a different part #.

Jaycox Powersports
Summit 670X, 1998
Ignition Module (SKU: 415111800) (Supersede: 512059220) 1 $411.99

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
According to the microfiche, that cdi box was only used on that sled only.
The 99 HO is a different part #.

Jaycox Powersports
Summit 670X, 1998
Ignition Module (SKU: 415111800) (Supersede: 512059220) 1 $411.99
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. That's a quite expensive part!
Any idea how easy/difficult it is to replace the cdi? Wondering if I should try or just take it to the shop...Labor here is crazy expensive, that's why I have been trying to figure out myself what was wrong with the sled.
So getting some output voltage out of the spark plug caps can happen even if CDI is dead?? I am trying to understand how to link everything together, as all the wires tests I have done so far have shown good expected results, I am confused about what could be wrong...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts