Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’m new to the forum. I’ve been reading threads on here for a while -there’s a lot of great information to be had- but just joined recently.

My questions start with a 1992 Skidoo Skandic 2, the 377 model. No reverse, no electric start. I picked it up early this summer, hoping to fix it up for winter to use for some firewood hauling, light trail grooming, etc. It has no spark, and unfortunately the issue was not as simple as replacing the CDI, which I did, as the last one was definitely shot. And oh- I think this is the weird ducati ignition system with the CDI and coil in one unit, mounted (for whatever reason) on the backside of the engine block. I’m fairly new to fixing snowmachines, but I’ve had a little experience and have covered the basics. I’m working on this skandic hopefully to build my skills and learn a little more.

Anyway, I replaced the CDI only to realize that there is this mysterious part on the wiring diagram, somewhere between the CDI and some switches, that is missing on my machine. It appears to be marked as “Booster Assembly”. I can’t seem to find any information on this part. Am I completely missing something? Is it like a voltage regulator or something? Any idea if this is a necessary part to creating spark?

Any help or ideas towards the no spark problem in general appreciated as well. What I’ve done so far: replaced spark plugs and CDI/coil unit. Tested plug caps for proper resistance. Tested the stator as well and resistance values appear to match up to factory specs.

Thanks in advance.

Here’s a picture of the wiring diagram with the mystery part circled.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The booster unit on the diagram looks like your voltage regulator. You have 2 power generating coils behing the magneto, one for your 12 volts going through your regulator and one for the ignition. First thing I would do is to check the resistance of these 2 coils to make sure they are good before going any further.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can search my threads.. I'm going through the same thing as you.

Check to make sure the engine is grounded properly. I believe its a brown wire.

Check your stator (this is a SOB to find the spec numbers.. even the local shops had no answers)

Check the spacing of your pick up coil. I have found out these machines have very weak spark when they are brand new so if the spacing is slightly too big it won't be enough to generate spark.

Check your pick up coil itself.

My 2000 skandic had the starter/battery removed and in the process some wiring was redone to make it work properly so its tough for me to even use a diagram to trouble shoot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The booster unit on the diagram looks like your voltage regulator. You have 2 power generating coils behing the magneto, one for your 12 volts going through your regulator and one for the ignition. First thing I would do is to check the resistance of these 2 coils to make sure they are good before going any further.
Great. Glad to hear the booster assembly is probably my voltage regulator. I wasn’t quite sure, so thanks for helping confirm. I’ll definitely be sure to check the coils first (as best I can). Your resistance diagram looks like it might be useful. I’ll have to see if the colors match up. Either way, good to know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can search my threads.. I'm going through the same thing as you.

Check to make sure the engine is grounded properly. I believe its a brown wire.

Check your stator (this is a SOB to find the spec numbers.. even the local shops had no answers)

Check the spacing of your pick up coil. I have found out these machines have very weak spark when they are brand new so if the spacing is slightly too big it won't be enough to generate spark.

Check your pick up coil itself.

My 2000 skandic had the starter/battery removed and in the process some wiring was redone to make it work properly so its tough for me to even use a diagram to trouble shoot.
Yes. The ground wires in my machine are brown. Would you suggest reinforcing these wires with other wires to more surely grounded locations? Thereby re-routing the grounded wires in some way?

Hmm. Looks like I may be in line for a challenge with the stator. I did end up finding some resistance specs for some non-OEM parts online. Those values seem to match up with my stator, so I’m guessing that’s a good sign.

Forgive my beginner knowledge: the coils are just the inner part of the stator, right? The part that spins round in circles? I’ll definitely have to keep the spacing problem you mentioned in mind.

Sounds like you’ve got a tough machine to work on, without a reliable wiring diagram, that is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts