Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
This will be my last post for this. I promise I am done complaining! I am done checking on my tolls with ez pass account too! I will be the normal guy that just pays the bills and moves on. So here we go..........Same truck, same trailer, with 1 sled inside same run, with the same blue transponder as last time. Pa line to Dunkirk exit was the run. For some reason it didn't post immediately last night on the ez pass account. It just posted now. The run was $2.32 one way. Funny thing was last week it was $3.85! HMMMMMM.... I'd say the scanners/ cameras are all messed up! Everything matches but last week was more expensive. WHY? I wish I had my cash booth back. It was so much easier and consistent!

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
Give it a bit and I'll have a comparison using my original white transponder. Last week we did a run from Syracuse to Rochester pulling my 16' enclosed trailer.

Yesterday I did the same run with the same truck and same transponder without the trailer.

I have last week's trip back, $5.59 I think. Wait...I'm not sure if that was one way or round trip. I'll find out for sure. Now lets see what yesterday's trip cost.

Side note - big OH ???? on me. On the way home from last weeks run I happened to notice my inspection was over due. Oops.

It seems they're checking plates but not necessarily stickers.

Yes, I got it inspected the next day. I don't make a habit out of driving uninspected stuff - normally. That was just a big :headbang on me.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
exit 36- i81 to exit 45 Rochester i490 with 4 axles under 7-6 is $5.59 one way using the 2021 chart. $3.04 for truck alone if I calculated correct. My last trip calculated is correct i think if I look at the chart. Don't know why my first trip was so much higher.

·
Ford hater
21,281 Posts
Give it a bit and I'll have a comparison using my original white transponder. Last week we did a run from Syracuse to Rochester pulling my 16' enclosed trailer.

Yesterday I did the same run with the same truck and same transponder without the trailer.

I have last week's trip back, $5.59 I think. Wait...I'm not sure if that was one way or round trip. I'll find out for sure. Now lets see what yesterday's trip cost.

Side note - big OH on me. On the way home from last weeks run I happened to notice my inspection was over due. Oops.

It seems they're checking plates but not necessarily stickers.

Yes, I got it inspected the next day. I don't make a habit out of driving uninspected stuff - normally. That was just a big :headbang on me.
do you have your trailer listed on your ez pass or just the truck? From poking around the vehicle page, looks like you can add a trailer under the ez pass account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Got blue transponder and took a trip Sunday 1/24/2021 from Exit 40 to Exit 33. Price was $3.56 each direction.

According to the Toll & Distance calculator on the NY Thruway web site, it should be $7.85 for a 2 axle truck and single axle trailer over 7'6" in tow.

This makes no sense to me, but I am not going to call EZ Pass since I should be charged more?

https://wwwapps.thruway.ny.gov/tollcalculator/index.aspx?Class=5&Entry=m40x&Exit=m33x

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
do you have your trailer listed on your ez pass or just the truck? From poking around the vehicle page, looks like you can add a trailer under the ez pass account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trailer is not listed. I haven't logged back on to see how the trips compared.

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
So my EZ Pass statement came today...

First off, only the Gubment could make something so simple so complicated.

As close as I can tell, identical trips with and without the trailer were $6.00 with the trailer, $3.45 without.

I am not a dense individual and I'm good with numbers but I have to say, as much as I tried I'm not 100% sure of what exactly they're charging and where they're getting their numbers from. Making the transaction date one time and the posting another certainly helps keep things as clear as mud too. Something tells me this is by design - as we often hear, "there is money in confusion".

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That's the same with me. Last week I ran the same truck and trailer 3 times with the same load to the same exit. For some reason, Thursday and Saturday was the same correct price and Friday was $1.13 more. I don't know. I have run that same route 5 times total since I got the blue transponder. The first was totally wrong. The second and third time was correct and matched the toll chart. The 4th time totally wrong and the fifth time same as what the chart shows again. MXZ if your refering to the trip on January 21st, I gave you the the correct numbers that matched what you originally posted. I just ran a couple different options different (axels, height etc) and I can' t come up with either of those 2 numbers on the post above. I can't come up with mine on Friday either how they calculated it. EZ pass has been around for years and why NY isn't using the same equipment as other states is beyond me. Here's a funny one........My boy had to run the ohio turn pike last week. So I gave home my NY white EZ pass to run out of curiosity. The white was spot on in Ohio. The cash and credit rate was the same. He ran one way with cash and back with the white NY transponder. It has to be the scanning equipment. Are you saying the posted charge on the date on ez pass app is different than the end of the month statement? If so then you should be able to see where and when the took the difference out after you were charged. I'd Think. My ez pass app is the same as my monthly summary email statement.

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
So I just pulled both trips out of the statement and pasted them side x side so I could compare them.

The total round trip with the trailer was $11.51, without the trailer it was $6.08 - exactly what you had calculated.

Why the numbers from before were skewed was for the first trip, taken on 1/13, they posted charges on 1/14 and 1/17.

For the trip taken on 1/20 they posted charges on 1/21 and 1/23.

On the trip with just the truck they have me listed as a Class 2L. For the trip with the trailer they have me listed as a Class 4H in one section and a Class 4L for the rest of it.

Needless to say this system still has a few flaws in it...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
So I just pulled both trips out of the statement and pasted them side x side so I could compare them.

The total round trip with the trailer was $11.51, without the trailer it was $6.08 - exactly what you had calculated.

Why the numbers from before were skewed was for the first trip, taken on 1/13, they posted charges on 1/14 and 1/17.

On the trip with just the truck they have me listed as a Class 2L. For the trip with the trailer they have me listed as a Class 4H in one section and a Class 4L for the rest of it.

That's really weird. If I look at the chart it should be 11.44 or 10.38 for 4H on my blue transponder one way from exit 36-exit 45! How can they change H to L as you pass an exit when you're not going through the gates? So like someone else posted earlier, they are overcharging the undercharge...........If that makes any sense at all but I can't calculate it. I have never got double charges on different dates and I wonder if thats why the blue transponder is in existence? It must have to do with the height. When my boy ran the ohio turn pike it said 4 axle class A. So assume its axles and weight in OH rather than this height thing in NY. I assume in ohio Class B or 2 starts at 17000 lbs. That I don't know for sure but just an assumption.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hey MXZ I just figured it out. Your trip with the trailer from exit 36-45 @ 4L should have been 5.59. Your trip with the truck form exit 36 to 45 @ 2 axle should have been 3.04. Thats what it should have been. Multiply 5.59 x2 and thats what you got charged one way! Multiply 3.04 x2 that what you got charged coming back. They DOUBLE charged you exactly!

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
I wasn't double charged, it was $11.51 for the round trip with the trailer. At $5.59 it should have been $11.18. I'm thinking the extra $0.33 was for the wrong class.

The question is how was it 4H at one reader and 4L for the others???

If I remember right I may have been passing a semi at the first reader, I wonder if that confused it?

Now think about this...

I looked to see what the daily traffic was. The easiest thing I found said;

In March 2019, 640,000 passenger vehicles and 132,000 commercial vehicles drove through the Williamsville toll barrier.

Thats Buffalo. So they got me for an extra $0.33. Lets say this happens just10% of the time.

Based on the numbers above that 772,000 vehicles/month x 0.10 = 77,200.

If they got those 77,200 @ 33 cents each thats an additional $25,476 A MONTH they're over charging us.

Sure it's only 33 cents here and 33 cents there, who cares, right?

As I put on my tin foil hate I'm telling you this isn't happening by accident.

·
TriCountyTrail
1,618 Posts
My heights changed from 4L to 4H (Truck plus 2 Axle in line trailer apx 7'3" tall) on the same trip 4H (Over 7' 6") For a section 4H is alot more and all sections are calculated individually.

This was before any snow was on top of the trailer. I have been NOT used the thruway since. I only have the white transponder on my truck.

The back way is shorter, more enjoyable, and I get better gas mileage. As long as there isn't lake effect snow along Lake Ontario.

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
So the question is, how does a trailer height change???

IT DOESN'T!

But if they hit you in one section who's going to argue? 33 cents at a time adds up. This is NY, I'm sure its just an innocent mistake. :rolleyes:

Yes, my tin foil hat fits nicely. :lol:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I havent got charged for my trailer yet going to tug from buffalo just the truck with a white responder. And dont think ive ever been charged for it. Also ive never heard of the blue responder.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 194 Posts