Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to explain this on the VAST tread well now New York just did it last night. If your traveling 90 and want to pay tolls it credit card or EZ only. NO CASH. Soon to be EZ only come first of the year no CC even. I was told last night they will take a picture of your license plate and send you a bill with a fine if you don't pay with CC or EZ. Hope everyone going to the Tug from the west or East has EZ.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If anybody could screw something up it will be NYS.

Get ready for the incorrect bills and surcharges.

They are in effect forcing EZ-Pass on everyone who uses the Thruway. They can calculate your speed from point A to Point B and maybe send you a speeding ticket ?

All the while being in your business as to where you are going and when. I know I know they can track you with your phone and whatever if they want to.

Just more control of the populace by emporer quomo.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
My brother in law works for the NY DOT and they are being told that the toll booth takes picture of every plate and send bill till the end of the year as a grace period. After that, there IS a fine/ surcharge. After the 1st EZ will be the only option. It's not in writing just what is being said. The reason I am posting is January is when the prime snowmobile travel will begin.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I can't understand who in their right mind would not have it. I live near the King of Prussia mall which has the PA turnpike next to it. When I get off the turnpike, I often see 4 lanes of cars 10 deep waiting to pay while I just drive right through. I don't care if you use it only 1 time for year. You are retarded if your time is worth that little.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats eastern PA. Besides rush hour theres little wait on the western side of the NY, even in Buffalo. The problem is most of NY is not NY city or Philadelphia like setting. I've never waited more than 2 minutes even getting off to hit the Peace bridge. Heres my problem. I have 2 trucks and 1 car. 3 different trailers. Thats a different one for each. It adds a pretty quick.

·
Super Moderator
6,696 Posts
PA did this back in the spring... they were tying to push people to EZ pass anyway so they could get rid of the toll booth workers. If you don't have EZ Pass and they use your plate, they add a nice administration fee to the toll. A $1.50 toll could cost you more than $5.

I'm not sure anyone could afford to run the PA Turnpike from Pittsburgh to Philly and pay cash. Every year for the past several PA has been jacking the tolls higher and higher. It has gotten so bad now that a lot of people will go out of their way to run I-80 across the northern part of the state instead since there are no tolls.

A few years ago at the made a one-way toll into PA from Ohio for the first 30 miles or so. It is something ridiculous like like $12 for a car and $35 for 4 axles. It is $60 to go 30 miles into PA for an 18-wheeler!!!!

If I am coming back that way with my snowmobile trailer or I'm in the motorhome and pulling the jeep, I end up going along I-80 and then down I-79. I refuse to pat $35 to go 25 miles into PA on the turnpike. The detour adds about about 15 minutes but there are no tolls.

Down in FL they did the same thing a while ago. There is a bridge into Cape Coral and it is either transponder or toll by plate. They haven't had toll takers here in months now.

·
Super Moderator
31,803 Posts
The EZ Pass is free to get. They do link it to a CC and charge it as needed.

In my case they take $25.00 and put it "on account" and pull from it as needed. When it gets down they take another $25.00.

My first time with the cashless tolls was very limited. Years ago when we did the Yellowstone trip in the MH. I hadn't heard of it but the signs said those with EZ Pass go in this lane, those without stop and pay the toll. We never took the cruise control off. I had no idea what/how/what happened, all I knew is we didn't slow down, the line to pay was maybe a mile long.

Our first extended use of it was in NJ, then in Mass. I have to admit, it actually works pretty well.

·
East Coast Tony Administrator
63,118 Posts
The EZ Pass is free to get. They do link it to a CC and charge it as needed.

In my case they take $25.00 and put it "on account" and pull from it as needed. When it gets down they take another $25.00.

My first time with the cashless tolls was very limited. Years ago when we did the Yellowstone trip in the MH. I hadn't heard of it but the signs said those with EZ Pass go in this lane, those without stop and pay the toll. We never took the cruise control off. I had no idea what/how/what happened, all I knew is we didn't slow down, the line to pay was maybe a mile long.

Our first extended use of it was in NJ, then in Mass. I have to admit, it actually works pretty well.
It does work well and makes travel easier.

Hey Bruce don't forget about the monthly service fee you get robed of for having EZ Pass! When it started it was completely free along with some reduced tolls in certain spots & times. It was supposed to save the states money but all it seemed to do was cause massive construction projects at all the toll locations.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've had an EZ Pass for 20+ years now and I won't give it up. From Syracuse, went to college in Rochester and Buffalo. Girlfriend (now wife) went to school in Geneseo and Albany. Most of my family is in Albany. For those that know, Exit 50 (Buffalo) and Exit 24 (Albany) are 2 of the busiest exits outside of NYC on the Thruway. It was great cruising through the EZ Pass Only lanes while 5-10 lanes were backed up 15-20 cars each for those paying cash.

We purchase the NY12 annual pass where the 1st 30 miles are free because we do a lot of driving on the Thruway. We have 3 vehicles and swap the one with the NY12 pass around to the vehicle that needs it.

On vacations its great. Wife drove to Atlantic City and didn't need to use any cash for tolls. *I* was a bit shocked at how much the trip cost! Twice on her trip I had received notification my credit card had been charged the replenishment amount! PA and NJ highway and bridge tolls are out of sight!

Sped plenty of times and never had a ticket mailed to me. NY has always had the ability to calculate your average speed. Can see when you got on (Exit 39 - 690) and got off (Exit 50 - Buffalo) and simple math based on known distances give average speed. Anything more than 65 MPH could technically result in a speeding ticket but unlikely. Too many would dump the EZ Pass if NY decided to do that.

·
E-Tec Rules
34,976 Posts
If you speed from time to time an ez pass can get you a speeding ticket ez also... seems someone is monitoring the checkpoints and if you hit the next toll booth to quick they can include a ticket with your toll. Hahah
they said they will not be monitoring that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,696 Posts
I've got an EZ Pass that covers 18 states. Between pulling the snowmobile trailer in the winter and then the motorhome pulling the Spyder or Jeep in the summer, it's the only way to go with the amount of traveling we do.

Hopefully the tie all of the transponders together so you only need one anywhere in the country. I had one from FL and one from PA, now the two systems have merged and I can use it for almost every toll from Illinois on east.

·
Super Moderator
31,803 Posts
It does work well and makes travel easier.
Hey Bruce don't forget about the monthly service fee you get robed of for having EZ Pass! When it started it was completely free along with some reduced tolls in certain spots & times. It was supposed to save the states money but all it seemed to do was cause massive construction projects at all the toll locations.
I just looked through a years worth of statements, no monthly service fees, not 1 charge other than tolls??? Thats with 4 readers too. :shrug

Is yours a NJ EZ Pass by any chance?

·
East Coast Tony Administrator
63,118 Posts
I just looked through a years worth of statements, no monthly service fees, not 1 charge other than tolls??? Thats with 4 readers too. :shrug

Is yours a NJ EZ Pass by any chance?
Yes NJ, it's $2.00 per month I believe. Weather you use it or not.

My pass works everyplace I go PA CT NY MA ME WV DE MD NH

I recently booted my daughter when she started running the turnpike every day for work, it was replenishing form my credit card every 3 days.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes NJ, it's $2.00 per month I believe. Weather you use it or not.

My pass works everyplace I go PA CT NY MA ME WV DE MD NH

I recently booted my daughter when she started running the turnpike every day for work, it was replenishing form my credit card every 3 days.
Get a new one from NY, no monthly fee

Only downside would be if you get a "discount" on tolls from having a NJ EZ Pass?

I know in NY, the EZ Pass rate is lower than cash rate for the Thruway. Now, with these "cashless" toll booths, who know what kind of "administrative fee" will be added for those that do not have an EZ Pass. I can easily see the EZ Pass rates going up and the mailed toll invoices moving even higher with extra processing fees and administrative billing fees, etc since NY is financially broke.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts