Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In either spring of 2020, or spring 2021, I will be looking to update my 2016 Enduro 900. I ride 85% on trail/15% off trail (could be 90/10). The off trail is during the 3 day trip up to Wawa, Ontario. Where I tend to be attracted to the vast expanses of deeper snow.

The 900 does great for the on trail. Weaknesses show quickly when venturing deeper off trail snow, and I am leaving an areas I REALLY wanted to play in more.

I am considering a Backcountry 600, put a different track on (Ice Cobra?, Ice Storm?, Hurricane 175?) on, and upgrade the shocks.

If costs on the BC 600 approach the cost of a spring order BCX w/ SHOT and Ice Cobra track, I would take a hard look at that

I am not really needing the 850 by any means, unless, like previously stated, costs approach the BCX range.

Or spring order a renegade x 600, or turbo with the 1.5 ice ripper.

I have read many threads saying the BC/BCX sleds are good for what I am looking for. But also see quite a few mentioned of lugs getting ripped off of the 1.6 Cobra series tracks. I also see many people raving about the 1.6 Cobra series tracks. Seems like it's a love/hate relationship.

For my riding style, and wanting to play in deeper snow more during my Wawa trip. What is some advice for when the time comes to update?

·
Registered
904 Posts
In either spring of 2020, or spring 2021, I will be looking to update my 2016 Enduro 900. I ride 85% on trail/15% off trail (could be 90/10). The off trail is during the 3 day trip up to Wawa, Ontario. Where I tend to be attracted to the vast expanses of deeper snow.

The 900 does great for the on trail. Weaknesses show quickly when venturing deeper off trail snow, and I am leaving an areas I REALLY wanted to play in more.

I am considering a Backcountry 600, put a different track on (Ice Cobra?, Ice Storm?, Hurricane 175?) on, and upgrade the shocks.

If costs on the BC 600 approach the cost of a spring order BCX w/ SHOT and Ice Cobra track, I would take a hard look at that

I am not really needing the 850 by any means, unless, like previously stated, costs approach the BCX range.

Or spring order a renegade x 600, or turbo with the 1.5 ice ripper.

I have read many threads saying the BC/BCX sleds are good for what I am looking for. But also see quite a few mentioned of lugs getting ripped off of the 1.6 Cobra series tracks. I also see many people raving about the 1.6 Cobra series tracks. Seems like it's a love/hate relationship.

For my riding style, and wanting to play in deeper snow more during my Wawa trip. What is some advice for when the time comes to update?
If you ride 85-90% on trail, then definitely stick with a trail sled. The deeper lugs like the 1.6 do not hold up well on trails which usually are somewhat hardpacked, they are also noisier and heavier. I would go with a 1.25 or possibly a 1.35+ or - track at 137". For the minimal off trail that you do, I would stay away from BackCountry and longer tracks like the 144 and longer. The 129" is the perfect length for trails, 137" will work but push some in the tight twisties on the trail. You answered your own question when you stated the percentage of trail riding that you do. Bottomline is that you will not like an off trail sled on the trails which is where you will be the vast majority of the time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Loving my 900 turbo built as a backcountry with 146x2 track. I have been riding 1.75 or bigger tracks since 2005 with no issues on trail. I've tried everything from 121 up to 154 and I've tried the 3 front ends Doo offers (36/38, 38/40, 42) and I have found 137/146 track with 1.75-2.25 track and the 38/40 front end to be my favorite do everything combo.

I think if you want to keep 4 stroke and are not sidehilling/carving/etc then a renegade 900 with 137x1.75 track would be great on trail but still capable off trail. If you like the off trail maybe swap the front end to a narrower one. If you are happy with 2 stroke then a backcountry would be a perfect combo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loving my 900 turbo built as a backcountry with 146x2 track. I have been riding 1.75 or bigger tracks since 2005 with no issues on trail. I've tried everything from 121 up to 154 and I've tried the 3 front ends Doo offers (36/38, 38/40, 42) and I have found 137/146 track with 1.75-2.25 track and the 38/40 front end to be my favorite do everything combo.

I think if you want to keep 4 stroke and are not sidehilling/carving/etc then a renegade 900 with 137x1.75 track would be great on trail but still capable off trail. If you like the off trail maybe swap the front end to a narrower one. If you are happy with 2 stroke then a backcountry would be a perfect combo.
i did see that thread. Quite interesting.

From what i've been seeing. It might be better if I stick with the 137" length, with the 1.5" lug. Maybe when I take that Wawa trip, I could have a pair of 6.9 skis to swap out.

Jury is still out overall though. Still some time to think about wants/needs.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I had a 14 Gade X 800r and I modded it to be better off trail. I used 6.9 skis (better off using DS2's now), geared down two teeth, and added a 1.6 ice Cobra. It did well off trail and with more seat time I'm sure I would've done better. I feel it improved ontrail.....faster out of the hole with the lower gear ratio and hooking better with that track....it was an absolute beast on the trail.

It was close to a BCX at the time but wider and different shocks. IMO I'd do it again if I was back into trail riding.

IMO, out of the box, Doo doesn't offer a good compromise. 146 is too long for trail and the 137s they offer have terrible off trail setups (still selling with junk ripsaws).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I own a BCX and ride it 60/40 in the UP. When you get the front end set up the way you like, it rails around corners very well on hard pack and mashed potatoes. People demo these sleds and complain that it does not corner well. A Renegade will not corner well if you don't set it up to your weight and riding style. I have the 1.6 cobra with 3k miles on it and there are no missing lugs. After the last big snow up here, I kind wish I got the Powder Max. The 850 is beast and the extra hp comes in handy when off trail and trying to get out of some deep. Pin and wiggle works well with this sled to get un-stuck many times.

You don't notice the extra length on the trails because for the tipped rails. I have ridden 129s, 137s, anf this BCX. Would not trade it for the world.

I feel the BCX is the Enduro 2.0.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts