Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I finally have enough money to go buy a new sled. Can someone give their opinions on the Summit 850 between 2018-2022? Are they reliable? Can you get 8000-10000 KM before they need a top-end rebuild?

Any thoughts or concerns that I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've owned 3, a 17', a 19' and a 22'. I still own the 17' as my backup. All three have been amazing! not a single issue with any of them. the 17 has 2600 miles and i changed the belt at 1200 miles and 2200 miles due to normal wear. The shot start on the 19 burnt out, but was fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This'll probably be more than you're looking for but-

I have a 2018 Summit X 154" with 1500 miles and a 2019 Summit SP 146" with about 2000 miles. Both have been very reliable and the best sleds I've ever had. The power and torque are amazing and the chassis is light yet solid and responsive.

There's nothing really wrong with the 2017s and the 2017 owners are going to get mad at this but I'd personally look for a 2018+ if you can (2019+ is ideal). Not a big deal but they added clutch venting and upgraded the motor mounts. 850s can eat belts but there are some fixes out there to help extend belt life. I am on original belts on both of mine but I keep the clutches clean, run Sledhead Racing Clutch kit, and run the updated 571 belt. That said, another guy we ride with blew his first belt at about 250 miles so I'd feel that out and look for signs of belt blowing when shopping for a used sled. The 2017 Summit X in our group has 3400 miles and has been solid other than blowing a belt.

I can't speak to top end life but I still consider my sled very healthy and reliable at 2000 miles. They all run pretty oily.

There is a significant difference in riding styles between the 154" and the 146". The 146" is playful and lightweight and you can flick it around more. The 154" sets into sidehills a bit better and doesn't lift the skis as much. I can feel the t-motion washout on the 154" more but it does get on edge in meadows easier. Get SHOT if you can, mine went out on the 2019 but was fixed under warranty. I'd do it all again.

Sports equipment Snow Slope Goggles Ski Equipment

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
This'll probably be more than you're looking for but-

I have a 2018 Summit X 154" with 1500 miles and a 2019 Summit SP 146" with about 2000 miles. Both have been very reliable and the best sleds I've ever had. The power and torque are amazing and the chassis is light yet solid and responsive.

There's nothing really wrong with the 2017s and the 2017 owners are going to get mad at this but I'd personally look for a 2018+ if you can (2019+ is ideal). Not a big deal but they added clutch venting and upgraded the motor mounts. 850s can eat belts but there are some fixes out there to help extend belt life. I am on original belts on both of mine but I keep the clutches clean, run Sledhead Racing Clutch kit, and run the updated 571 belt. That said, another guy we ride with blew his first belt at about 250 miles so I'd feel that out and look for signs of belt blowing when shopping for a used sled. The 2017 Summit X in our group has 3400 miles and has been solid other than blowing a belt.

I can't speak to top end life but I still consider my sled very healthy and reliable at 2000 miles. They all run pretty oily.

There is a significant difference in riding styles between the 154" and the 146". The 146" is playful and lightweight and you can flick it around more. The 154" sets into sidehills a bit better and doesn't lift the skis as much. I can feel the t-motion washout on the 154" more but it does get on edge in meadows easier. Get SHOT if you can, mine went out on the 2019 but was fixed under warranty. I'd do it all again.

View attachment 2003058
Great Picture!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
ride it first. plenty of people prefer tmotion or it's not enough of a difference one way or the other to care about.
The only real way to tell if you like one over the other is to ride two sleds back to back, with and without it. I did and much prefer C-motion or any other version that's locked out. A bit more effort to get on the side, but more stable and predictable .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts