Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy .. well .. I am a newbie .. and I am going to be getting a sled (new) .. just cant decide which one would be best .. so here goes .. I am 6'2" and 280 lbs havent ridden much at all .. primarily the sled will be for riding around with the parents checking out wildlife and doing group rides .. but once in a while I'll be out with some guys that really ride the trails hard (that will be after I get used to riding and controling the sled of course) .. I have kinda narrowed my choices down to something that runs the 600 SDI or a yamaha 4 stroke ( dont shoot me for that .. I just want to be nice to the environment) ... any thoughts or ideas on which model would be the best for what I am looking for .. also I know this is a Ski Doo board but if anybody has ridden a new yamaha which did you like better? .. from everything that I have read on other boards and in the mags .. the Rev chassis is supposed to be the best handling chassis and thats why I am leaning this way .. but I just want the best bang for my buck .. thanks in advance

·
Registered
165 Posts
MI Snow BEAR said:
howdy .. well .. I am a newbie .. and I am going to be getting a sled (new) .. just cant decide which one would be best .. so here goes .. I am 6'2" and 280 lbs havent ridden much at all .. primarily the sled will be for riding around with the parents checking out wildlife and doing group rides .. but once in a while I'll be out with some guys that really ride the trails hard (that will be after I get used to riding and controling the sled of course) .. I have kinda narrowed my choices down to something that runs the 600 SDI or a yamaha 4 stroke ( dont shoot me for that .. I just want to be nice to the environment) ... any thoughts or ideas on which model would be the best for what I am looking for .. also I know this is a Ski Doo board but if anybody has ridden a new yamaha which did you like better? .. from everything that I have read on other boards and in the mags .. the Rev chassis is supposed to be the best handling chassis and thats why I am leaning this way .. but I just want the best bang for my buck .. thanks in advance
[snapback]263197[/snapback]​
get a renegade 800 your to big for a 600, you will wish you got the 800 after rideing the 600 ,at280 lbs ,i am 270 and glad i got the 800 its nice in the trails to lots of power

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm 6'3", 230 lbs. I ride a 600 HO renegade (no sdi) and find the sled to be plenty good for me. The ride is fantastic, and the power is respectable. If you ride an 800 or bigger, everyone is going to want to line up against you. If that's what you are in to, there is no replacement for displacement, 800 or up is where you want to be. I used to be like that, I would spend as much time tuning as I would riding. Now, with family and time constraints, a sucessful ride is one where I put the sled on the trailer the same way I took it off. If you ride a 600, no-one wants a piece of your "edit for bad language". You can spend your time riding rather than racing. With very minor and inexpensive mods, such as dropping your needle .030, going down one size on your mains, and a stiffer primary spring, you will get a snappy, fuel efficient sled . I ride mostly with poo's, 700 xcsp's and rmk's. I have them scratching their heads and pulling over to the side of the trail and re-jetting to try and keep up with me. One rmk rider wishes he would have rode my sled before purchasing his. The other's are saying absolutely NOTHING !!!, which says enough for me.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Get a 800 you will be happy you did, as for the 4 stroke one word, HEAAAAVVVVVVVVVY. if you are going to be riding back trails or rideing a little aggressive it will kick you arse with the wait. my .002

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with a renegade...I'm 6'4", 240lbs and have a 600ho SDI renegade...I love it...Lots of power, super smooth on the trails and handles bumps and twisties with ease. I've also got a Cudney clutch kit, spacers, reeds, etc. Pulls as hard as my buddies 800 on low end (top speed he still beats me). But from what you're saying I don't think you are too worried about 100+mph. I am a bit biased and don't know the Yammies but in my opinion, no worries with a renegade...you'll love it!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
You didn't say how old you are but the REV chassis is soooo easy on the back compared to the traditional sled position. I would agree with the Renegade for the all around choice. I will be trading in next year and I'm considering the Ren over another GSX.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have been riding Yamaha's for a long time. I love the quality and fit-and-finish of these sleds. BUT, if you ride a Rev for 3-4 hours (not just around the parking lot at the dealership), you will be absolutely hooked. I switched to a Rev last spring and I love it. The ride and seating position is vastly superior to the Yamaha, IMO.

By the way, I'm 6'3" and about 290 pounds and I have a 600 HO. My riding buddies have a 500 SS Rev, a 800 Power Tech Renegade and a Rev 440-X. I don't have any problem keeping up in the trails and on a long run, the 800 only has me by about 5-10 miles per hour. It's probably because he has the 1 3/4" track.

The only thing I don't like about the 600 HO is the gas mileage, it's terrible.

Being new to the sport, I would recommend the 500 SS. It's a great all-around sled, gets good mileage, and will run between 90-100 MPH. Plus, it's a bargain when compared to the cost of the 800's.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for the great responses .. and just to clarify a few things .. I am 29 .. and no I am not looking to go out racing or anything like that .. I want a sled that I can take off the trailer go ride and have a good time .. and then put it back on the trailer and not mess with it .. from what I have been reading thats what the SDI engines are all about .. computer controlled so I dont have to mess with jetting and tuning and temp changes .. and all that stuff .. I had a classic car before with carbs .. I have been there and done that .. it was fun at the time .. but not when its cold out .. I know that clutching will have to be messed with initially and then cleaned and maintained .. and the suspension will have to be worked on to get the ride right .. but once those things are set they shouldnt change much .. right? .. the other thing I noticed .. all of you are recomending the long track (136) compared to the short track (121) .. why is that .. what are the handling differences .. ( go easy I am new to this ) .. does that 15 inches of track make that much of a difference .. and where in the performance envelope does it make that difference .. I know in cars certain suspensions and parts only make positive changes in certain areas .. where does that 15 inches of track length help out? .. sorry if it seems I am a stickler .. I just want the most for my buck seeing as I probibly wont be replacing the sled for a good number of years .. so I want to do it right the first time .. thanks again ..

·
Registered
731 Posts
I just bought a new 2005 mxz adrenaline 800 HO. (red) I am 6'0, 245 lbs. I am athletic though and can throw a tripple around on the trail like a fan twin. Its better to have the big motor and high power even if you dont need it all the time. I paid
$7550. us dollars, no other costs exept sales tax. the retail price is 8599

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is my first rev, and I get a kick out of it. Still only 140 miles but there are no disappointments. At 210# I set the suspension up per the guidelines on the clutch cover and was surprised that it seemed fine.
The 600 SDI is both smooth and easy. If you are new to the sport,
There should be more than enough power there for ya.
But then I'm pushing 60, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.