Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking its that time my 2013 has 3500 miles on the original ripsaw 137x16 track that has studs down the center and i dont want to throw a stud or tear a track so its time to look for a new track
i like the ice attack but is only 1.22 lug vs ice storm 1.50 .
will i see much loss or gains if i go to a 15 wide track vs the 16.
im 99.9 % of the time trail rider . give me your ideas. i do accel hard and run a fair amount of lakes.

and yes i know studs is best but im done with the worry of loosing a stud and doing damage. ive seen it too much
with my group. this is the main reason to going with a factory stud track.

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,247 Posts
I changed out the rip saw with 96 studs on my renegade to the ice attack XT on my 2017 900 this spring for some of the same reasons as you... I've always run studs...the 900 is my go by myself for a ride sled and it's just one less thing to go wrong ruining the track or puncturing the coolers... Some friends have had the ice attack XT on their sleds and they have worked out really well...

·
Registered
359 Posts
A few of my friends run the ice storm 150 and lots of positive feedback on here too. Once my ice cobra 1.6 has had it, that is what I will be installing.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You won’t lose anything with a 15 vs 16 wide on your situation. Done it with plenty of 04-07 revs renegades over the years and never noticed a thing in similar riding as you.
track choice is a personal choice when it comes to trailriding. Will 1.25 or 1.5 do better . Yes and no pending the conditions of the trail. I’d go for the 1.22 with less paddle height in a lower snow trail ride. That’s what I’ve used when doing prestudded tracks on my sleds in lower wi.

I didn’t look at either track you’d mentioned but doesn’t the 1.5 have less “studs” in it?
You won’t notice a 1.22 vs 1.5 paddle height on a trail. What works for you at the time is best

I’d say for the wondering on the topic of stud or prestudded

a prestudded track in my opinion is like a worn down studded track on complete bare ice for traction.
a prestudded track in a “icy” condition trail is somewhat a thing to get used to coming off a studded track. There’s stopping grip but not a dig in and you know your going to stop grip that a studded track brings to the party.
Prestudded tracks usually have a meatier paddle. This is big in the low snow conditions that I see in my area. I’ve never once had a torn lug on a prestudded one. They just take the abuse

what do I prefer…. New sled is ordered with a prestudded track. I usually switch out a studded track on a new used sled to me when the time comes

good luck either way

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I had the exact same sled. Having studs is a breakdown waiting to happen. I choose the ice attack because it has many more studs in it and the lugs seemed more stiff. It performed decent on ice. I always went where I wanted to no matter how slick the ice. The sled handled the trails well, might of turned a little better. I put another 13k miles on that track with no issues. If you are on trails 99% of the time, the extra traction of a 1.5 may make it steer a bit harder.

·
Registered
2022 XRS 900R
1,285 Posts
Put 10000 km on a 1.5 Ice Storm and thought it was a big improvement over a 1.25. Hooks hard in most trail conditions and did pretty decent when I did go off trail. I drive 99% on trails and would highly recommend it. Track still looks brand new also.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Ice Storm, you will love the traction!

Bobt

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I might be cursing myself but after about 35 sleds in 50 years of riding, haven't lost a stud on any single ply track. Did lose the entire track at 6K on one but not near the studs. replaced with an ice storm which had better bite in snow, but the miniscule number and size of the tiny pics was pretty much useless. Pretty much zero traction on ice, tar, concrete etc. It was a blessing in disguise as I have decided to only go with the smaller height and small number of studs that doo recommends as I rediscovered how much easier and more fun it is to ride a "loose" sled. Will probably also cure the G4's sketchy high speed pushy cornering. So I'd try an ice attack or conventional studs in a storm before I'd buy another ice storm. Good Luck !

·
Registered
933 Posts
I’ve had an Ice Attak on my last two sleds (6 years, 9,000 miles) and have a new one in my garage waiting for my spring order (anyone need a stock 129” Ripsaw?). Riding partner has an Ice Storm but I haven’t had much opportunity to ride it. Regardless, I think the decision depends on your conditions and what riding you do. Both are good tracks but will have strong points.

If you are trails with good or loose snow cover and or do any off trail riding, the shape and lug height of the Ice Storm will be better.If you’re not on ice that much, you won’t notice the lower number of studs

If you are typically on hard pack trails and or lots of blown out icy corners, the Ice Attak will be better due to the extra picks. On hard pack trails, the Ice Attak hooks up good and you won’t notice much difference from the shorter lugs but it won’t be as good off trail or in loose snow.

I find there are lots of blown out corners in northern Wisco on the weekends which is why I’ve stuck with the Ice Attak. Really considered trying an Ice Storm this year but I’ve been so happy with Ice Attak, I figured why mess with a good thing.

Reactions: Hockeypuck

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
There is no perfect answer, the Ice Storm is a 1.5 track, but that is only in the center, it's 1.25 on the outside. It only has 140 studs as compared to 288 with the Ice Attack, but having used both tracks I find the 140 studs are still OK to help get you through an icy corner. In the loose snow there is no comparison between these two tracks, as the higher lug really works well & it's more of a paddle track so it also helps the sled steer easier because the rear of the sled isn't as hooked up sideways.

·
Registered
911 Posts
No experience with Ice Attack.

Put an Ice Storm on my 1200 GT (137"). Mostly trail ride, but maybe 35% off trail. I'm not gentle with her, but I don't line up and race either.

After about 2000 miles, found many cracks at the base of lugs. After about another 1000 miles, finally tossed a few lugs. I was able to get a replacement under warranty, but it took months. Hopefully the track was in fact defective.

But.....the 1200 is heavy. The GT is even heavier. And I'm a fat slob on top of it. I also carry probably 50 pounds of tools and fuel. As much as I love the track compared to the OEM track, I think all the weight put too much stress on the track. I also think that the extra height lugs down the middle put extra flex stress on the track between the rails. It all sounds good on paper, and again, I love the track, and it hooks up awesome on hard pack, and completely transformed my tank when off trail....but I don't know if I'd pay for another one for my particular sled.

I had 13,000 miles on my OEM track when I changed it. I only changed it for peace of mind. There were no cracks or missing lugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts