Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just bought me an 01 mxz 800 with 1100 miles on the chassis and under 200 on the motor for $3700.00 us. I love the power of this sled am currently thinkin about the 136 ext. and a set of twin pipes. but for now id like to know about any info on wut i need to look for and if there is still problems with the 800 twins? ive heard alot of horror stories

The reason for the new motor is the previous owner sunk the front end in some water and had to order a DOO crate motor and the dealer i bought it off of put it in so all the updates are done to it they said. but is there still the chance of rings flaking er anything else? im currently runnig the br9es plugs synth. Doo oil and the sled does not have the dpm . which ive heard is a good thing?? thanks a ton

ScRaPpY

·
Registered
677 Posts
THEY DID A UPDATE ON THE PLUGS, SOMETHING TO DUE TO THE PISTON RECALL, NEW PLUGS ARE BR9ECS, THE GAPS ARE SET AT THE FACTORY AND CANNOT BE RESET. OTHER SLED MANUFACTORS USE SAME PLUG BUT GAPPED DIFFERENTLY SO GO TO DOO DEALER. OTHER THAN THAT MY 01 800 HAS RAN PERFECT HOWEVER I DID INSTALL RAD VALVES AND IT MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. YOU SHUOLD BE HAPPY WITH YOU NEW TOY JUST HANGON TIGHT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks 01 wut did you go with on the rad valves???
have you heard any good er bad on after market pipes i got ahold of a twin set for $200.00 but dont know if i should get em :S
thanks again!!

ScRaPpY

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Never heard of any twin pipes really doing any good on the 800 twin. Haven't tried the RAD valves but the Boyesen reed petals are a cheap improvement. It's OK to run the BR9ES plugs. The ECS plugs are supposed to help prevent detonation. A lot of guys are running the ES without any problems and they're a lot cheaper. If you run the stock pipe, keep an eye on your jetting, you can probably go down to 480's or 470's depending on where you ride. 500's are stock. These sleds have a lean mid-range, so if you do any extended riding at between 6000 and 7000 rpm's, try and blip in and out of the throttle. You can gear down a little by going to a 25 tooth top gear. There are a lot good clutch kits out there for it. I'm a big believer in Goodwin Performance. Cudney, who is a sponsor of this site has good kits also. A kit is a big improvement over the stock set-up.

·
Registered
677 Posts
i had a bad carb mounting flange and it is a one piece unit after dooing some research on aftermarket reeds i went with the Boysen
Rad Valves due to their aluminum housing where the only things i will
have to replace is the mounting boots and reed petals without buying whole assembly. also a dealer that i deal with had low milage failers on more than one occasion with v-force reeds, including his personal ride, and won't deal with them anymore. so far i have no complaints with the rad valves and plan on putting a set on the wifes cat when her reed cages need to be replaced.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wink1 said:
Never heard of any twin pipes really doing any good on the 800 twin. Haven't tried the RAD valves but the Boyesen reed petals are a cheap improvement. It's OK to run the BR9ES plugs. The ECS plugs are supposed to help prevent detonation. A lot of guys are running the ES without any problems and they're a lot cheaper. If you run the stock pipe, keep an eye on your jetting, you can probably go down to 480's or 470's depending on where you ride. 500's are stock. These sleds have a lean mid-range, so if you do any extended riding at between 6000 and 7000 rpm's, try and blip in and out of the throttle. You can gear down a little by going to a 25 tooth top gear. There are a lot good clutch kits out there for it. I'm a big believer in Goodwin Performance. Cudney, who is a sponsor of this site has good kits also. A kit is a big improvement over the stock set-up.
[snapback]273067[/snapback]​
hey thanks for all the info guys does anyone have a link to the cudney clutches and i thought that the stock gear in my 800 was a 25 tooth??? i planed on dropin it to a 24 now that im long tracking it????
thanks
ScRaPpY

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've got an 02, so its basically the same sled. Check my tweak list at the bottum. Bill's stuff really woke this thing up and with the gear change it rocks. I'm 6/3 330lbs and it will run 105110 on the lake. My friends riding 800Pol Edges can't get away frome me even on lake runs. It will also run all day on the trails and still take 1-2 gallons less fule at the pumps than my buddies do and Im heavier by 75-100 lbs on both of them.

Enjoy it....At 3700 bucks I think you got a deal. With all this dam weather and my work schedule Im almost ready to give up sledding and sell mine but for the money it doesn't cost anything to keep it either.

mps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mps1168 said:
I've got an 02, so its basically the same sled. Check my tweak list at the bottum. Bill's stuff really woke this thing up and with the gear change it rocks. I'm 6/3 330lbs and it will run 105110 on the lake. My friends riding 800Pol Edges can't get away frome me even on lake runs. It will also run all day on the trails and still take 1-2 gallons less fule at the pumps than my buddies do and Im heavier by 75-100 lbs on both of them.

Enjoy it....At 3700 bucks I think you got a deal. With all this dam weather and my work schedule Im almost ready to give up sledding and sell mine but for the money it doesn't cost anything to keep it either.

mps

[snapback]300209[/snapback]​
where do i find the cudney clutch????

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
You are gonna love the 136" track! I have an '01 summit renegade 800 that is actualy an MXz. It has the coupled suspention and wide ski stance. It does every thing well enough to be fun, maybe not as well as the purpose built trail or powder or boondocker or highmarker or what ever, but you can play with all of these guys!

Have a good one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts