Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Put a Storm 150 on it and get rid of that god awful wrap.....! ????

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'd put a 1.75 Hurricane track on your Gade, & not even look back, oh yeah you wouldn't even have to worry about studs with the Hurricane track, just wouldn't need them, that track hooks up incredibly well, minus any studs!! :righton :righton :ridedoo:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I can't believe more people aren't telling you to just stick with this sled. I've had that track on a 2016 Renegade, a 2018 Assault and a 2020 Assault. Total milage on all 3 is probably around 12,000 miles. No tears, all still looked like new. Traction on icy corners was fine. Traction in packed snow was better than the 1.25 ice rippers I had previously, and in deep off/trail riding, I never got stuck.

Reactions: fishwater

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I can't believe more people aren't telling you to just stick with this sled. I've had that track on a 2016 Renegade, a 2018 Assault and a 2020 Assault. Total milage on all 3 is probably around 12,000 miles. No tears, all still looked like new. Traction on icy corners was fine. Traction in packed snow was better than the 1.25 ice rippers I had previously, and in deep off/trail riding, I never got stuck.
There seems to be a difference between the track on the Assault & G4, Skidoo spec'd a different height due to the tunnel design. The G4'S are not doing well with the IC due to ice build up testing lugs? Not sure, I rode a friend's Assault with the IC & liked it, I'm just concerned with the lug's tearing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There seems to be a difference between the track on the Assault & G4, Skidoo spec'd a different height due to the tunnel design. The G4'S are not doing well with the IC due to ice build up testing lugs? Not sure, I rode a friend's Assault with the IC & liked it, I'm just concerned with the lug's tearing.
That would be the difference between 2 ply and single ply. Polaris always uses 2 ply for durability no matter the price difference. If a certain track is only offered from camso in single ply, they go the extra mile and get them custom made for production models and parts inventory.

You can order the 2 ply from them. Just go onto the sled they come stock with, go to parts fische and order that track part number.

·
Banshee Builder
2022 backcountryXRS ordered// 2019 BC 850- 16,238miles traded
8,306 Posts
Cobra heats , is soft so durability in sub par conditions is not good and is an absolute speed killer . Get rid of it .
in my experience with 5000 miles on a 1.6 cobra i would have to 100% agree. mine did not take dry frozen groomed trails good at all. track got too hot and started chucking lugs in those conditions, on the other hand i sold that same track with 8-9 missing lugs to a buddy who put anther 1000ish miles on it last season and he had no complaints ;)

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I'd put a 1.75 Hurricane track on your Gade, & not even look back, oh yeah you wouldn't even have to worry about studs with the Hurricane track, just wouldn't need them, that track hooks up incredibly well, minus any studs!! :righton :righton :ridedoo:
We had a problem with torn lugs on a 1.6 IC on my 18 850, and I was careful. I had always read about the lug issues and swore it was all from the ice build up. Every time we took a break, I banged on the tunnel with a mallet and knocked the ice out, still after 3 seasons and about 3500 miles, I had 3 torn lugs. We replaced it last year with the 175 Hurricane. Wow, what an awesome track. I would recommend this to anyone wanting an aggressive non-studded track.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anyone have experience with using the screw in type studs on a 1.7(ish) track? For example a Talon C45 with a 1.77" lug, then adding the screw in stud. I am not sure if the track lugs bend too much on hard pack, resulting in the stud on the tip never making contact or if they are a good combo. I do enjoy a backwoods or field blast when appropriate, so I tend to favor slightly longer lug tracks (1.5" - 2").
My story. Put a Storm 150 on my TNT850, installed Icemaster screw in studs in the towers at the ends of the paddles where they put the studs on the ice version. Worked great, Storm has excellent acceleration hookup,does loose about 5mph top end though. Those studs stick up a quarter inch beyond the lug and seem to grip well, plenty for my style of riding[had original Ripsaw studded with 96 Woodys] . This winter we had a three week cold spell and not much snow, leading to hard dry and fast trails. And I ride fast. End of season I noticed a dent sticking up in my tunnel, and I was pretty sure what caused it. Checked the track and found 16 of the lug towers and studs missing! And I am the type of rider who tries to not spin the track, so I am blaming it on the high speed running. Never heated the hifax either. So now I have to decide if I need to replace the track. Did remove the remaining studs. Never had one pull out, which was my fear originally, but taking the lug with is worse. Total mileage on track is about 2000 miles. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So the decision has been made, I found a 1.5” Ripsaw 2 on eBay with 400 miles on it. I’m going to pull the IC & replace it with the Ripsaw 2 which will then be studded with 96 studs in a double backer pattern. I’ll sell the IC in the fall to help offset the cost of studs.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
So the decision has been made, I found a 1.5” Ripsaw 2 on eBay with 400 miles on it. I’m going to pull the IC & replace it with the Ripsaw 2 which will then be studded with 96 studs in a double backer pattern. I’ll sell the IC in the fall to help offset the cost of studs.
View attachment 1972277
I have that track. Going back to the storm, it's just far superior. Check both tracks side by side, even pics on the net. You will see why the storm hooks up way better.

But what is done is done. You still will be happy with the rip 2 1.5. Way better choice then the cobra.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I hate my ice cobra. I dont ride off trail. Just lake and trail and find it very squirelly in corners. Soon as my shop is done that thing is coming off! Lots of reading on many forums and the 1.25 ripsaw 2 seems to be the most popular track.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you ride aggressive I would go with 192 1.74 woodys mega bites. You have a lot less chances ripping studs out when using double backers and over studding the track. My 2 renegades will stop better than any other sleds I have ridden.

my rip 2 1.25 in my 2020

My storm 150 in my 21. I prefer the 1.25 rip 2 btw.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If you ride aggressive I would go with 192 1.74 woodys mega bites. You have a lot less chances ripping studs out when using double backers and over studding the track. My 2 renegades will stop better than any other sleds I have ridden. View attachment 1972819
my rip 2 1.25 in my 2020 View attachment 1972820
My storm 150 in my 21. I prefer the 1.25 rip 2 btw.
I noticed that you only have the stock center protector & rears, safe to assume that there’s no issues without adding the additional front protectors?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Plenty of room. When the storm gets a little bit loose with the rotating mass of the studs the lugs will hit the center protecter when the suspension compresses and the track loosens more on big moguls.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just run your 1.5 pretty snug if your studding it. I run my rip 2 1.25 pretty loose. Probably looser than I should. I like being able to pull it forward or backwards in the trailer by hand without lifting it if necessary.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I hate my ice cobra. I dont ride off trail. Just lake and trail and find it very squirelly in corners. Soon as my shop is done that thing is coming off! Lots of reading on many forums and the 1.25 ripsaw 2 seems to be the most popular track.
I see online a lot of guys that are fast trail and lake running 129’s like the 1” rip2 with 1.63 studs and extra tunnel protectors. I am way to careless to try something like that though. I would definitely destroy stuff.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts