Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 17 Renegade 850 X with an Ice Cobra 1.6 track, I've never owned a pre studded track & always ran studs. I live/ride in New Hampshire where locally it can be very icy but when I head north to ride conditions are typically better packed snow groomed trails. I've read as many threads as I could find here & opinions are pretty split on the IC 1.6, what I've gathered is that some say it has enough traction, others don't, some say it tears easy, others say it doesn't & no one recommends adding additional studs. Without riding it I'm thinking that it won't have enough traction for me since I'm exclusively on the trail in mixed conditions & won't be able to stud it so I should replace it before the season with something that I can add 96 studs too. I'm also concerned about tearing lugs, this track is perfect but two other sleds with Ice Cobra's that I looked at before this one had torn lugs. So, if I keep it & ride it can I add some additional studs if I feel like I need more? And are any folks in New England riding icy trails during the week & packed trails on the weekend tearing lugs or is it operator error? More internet hype or the real deal?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I think if you're not going off-trail then a 1.3 Cobra with traditional studs would be better in every condition. The ice Cobra doesn't even have half as many studs as the ice ripper.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The cobra does not hook up that well. My ice storm is 3x better than my 1.6 ice cobra was. The only advantage the cobra had was less vibration. I would suggest a ripsaw 2 or a storm if your going to run traditional studs. The prestudded tracks only help in parking lots and road crossings. They won't do much for braking and acceleration on ice.

Reactions: calrcn

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i live in nh to...i put 96 studs in my ice cobra and no problems

the the sled has 9015 miles and track is still good
You're the first person I've heard of that's done it, so the track is still good? Where do you ride?

·
Registered
597 Posts
My 2 cents...keep it and ride. Tracks aren't cheap. If you feel the 1.6 IC is limiting your fun factor then replace it next year or beyond. I ride NH and never ran picks on any sled. It's just a personal choice. My wife runs picks on her Gade and loves them. She tends to follow the ridden path on the trails and stops up hill so ice can be a problem for her (which then becomes my problem to get the sled up the hill.

To replace the track, and then pick, is an expensive upgrade which can be worth it for those that want/need them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ride exclusively up in Pittsburg, NH and have about 5,000 miles on my 16" wide Ice Cobra and zero issues with it. No torn lugs or missing studs from it. Generally, as you said, the trails are groomed and ice isn't really an issue but I've gone up some icy hills before and no issue getting up. It's enough traction to get you where you need to be. If you're lake racing I wouldn't recommend it, but for the average trail rider it's just fine. It also performs pretty decent in the powder. If I were you I'd run the track for this coming season and see how you like it before spending money on a new track.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
2016 600 Enduro - stock ice ripper - added 96 Woody's studs - almost 9000 miles - no issues - track still looks new - starting to lose the inserted studs on the left side (road edge side)

2019 850 Enduro - stock ice ripper - added 96 Woody's studs - almost 6000 miles - no issues - track still looks new

I would just put 96 studs down the center and ride it. They will cost $400 +/- for the studs but it is worth it for the safety.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Reactions: thunder66

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Such a hard decision, the Ice Cobra is a love it or hate it track. My worry is the durability of the track with or without studs, especially studded since the last thing I want is a stud into the heat exchanger.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I've had zero issues with mine in almost 3000 miles? No heat issues as mentioned? Does trim 5-6 mph off top end,several guys I know have this track and love it? Only place I hear negative comments on this track is Dootalkers? Personally I recommend as others here have is to stud it / run it!! Then upgrade when she's tired but by then you may be after another new sled...Hahahaaa good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had zero issues with mine in almost 3000 miles? No heat issues as mentioned? Does trim 5-6 mph off top end,several guys I know have this track and love it? Only place I hear negative comments on this track is Dootalkers? Personally I recommend as others here have is to stud it / run it!! Then upgrade when she's tired but by then you may be after another new sled...Hahahaaa good luck
What size studs are those? They look like Woody's.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
1.62" Studboys

·
Registered
20 Posts
96 mack stud 1.650 vader kit up center
9015 miles. 295 free shipping
Studs are from moultonboro nh
Kit includes template marker and drllbit
No damaged studs
Get a pic for you

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I agree with the ones saying to keep it .....Just stud it with all Double backer's like (Mack-ster) did you wont have any issues and it will be a lot cheaper and you'll get the same results why waste all the extra coin....? JMHO

·
Registered
192 Posts
From a fellow NH rider, go with the Storm 150 and 96 Mack Mega studs. Great setup, no issues. Really hooks up well. I ride both NH and VT, works well everywhere! 3400mi and still looks good with no tear outs.
9d58ff3080c31b6376bc1281255ac87d.jpg
e4d8edb9c80ae87fa0e26601cb112e65.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does anyone have experience with using the screw in type studs on a 1.7(ish) track? For example a Talon C45 with a 1.77" lug, then adding the screw in stud. I am not sure if the track lugs bend too much on hard pack, resulting in the stud on the tip never making contact or if they are a good combo. I do enjoy a backwoods or field blast when appropriate, so I tend to favor slightly longer lug tracks (1.5" - 2").

1 - 20 of 39 Posts