Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, as the title says I am new to the forum and am looking for help. Not only am I new to the forum but also snowmobiles. I have been fortunate enough with customers from work giving me a 96 ski doo formula 380 fan cooled that was blown up for free. At first I was going to rebuild the engine and have a running sled. Then I came across another customer giving away a 1969 Polaris charger for free. No motor or seat but hey what the heck why not right. I traded the charger plus a hundred bucks for a 2000 ski doo formula 500 deluxe fan cooled with electric start and push button reverse. After replacing the pickup tube and grommet in the fuel tank and flushing out the carbs I got it running. I noticed the carb on the mag side the throttle valve was up higher than the pto side. I did not change the position of the valve or slide or whatever it's called. I ran it for approximately 50 miles over the last couple days. Seems fine but I feel like it could perform better. My neighbor has a Polaris 440 liquid cooled and he is always pulling away from me. Now just tonight one of the throttle cables in the mag side carb frayed and stuck the throttle valve wide open. Good thing I have the 380 for parts. Going to replace the throttle cables this weekend.
Now my problem and what I need help with. I do not have a service manual (I am a certified diesel tech and have worked on 2 stroke and 4 stroke gas engines in my lifetime) to help me set the carbs to be tuned to each other. Anyone know how to set the carbs to be tuned and in sync to each other? Or does anyone have a service manual I can download to a jump drive?
I am happy to be on the ski doo side of snowmobiles. They have always intrigued me due to their styling and performance. Plus my in-laws only run ski doo and sea doo.
Thank you in advance and hope to have lots of conversations on this forum.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hello all, as the title says I am new to the forum and am looking for help. Not only am I new to the forum but also snowmobiles. I have been fortunate enough with customers from work giving me a 96 ski doo formula 380 fan cooled that was blown up for free. At first I was going to rebuild the engine and have a running sled. Then I came across another customer giving away a 1969 Polaris charger for free. No motor or seat but hey what the heck why not right. I traded the charger plus a hundred bucks for a 2000 ski doo formula 500 deluxe fan cooled with electric start and push button reverse. After replacing the pickup tube and grommet in the fuel tank and flushing out the carbs I got it running. I noticed the carb on the mag side the throttle valve was up higher than the pto side. I did not change the position of the valve or slide or whatever it's called. I ran it for approximately 50 miles over the last couple days. Seems fine but I feel like it could perform better. My neighbor has a Polaris 440 liquid cooled and he is always pulling away from me. Now just tonight one of the throttle cables in the mag side carb frayed and stuck the throttle valve wide open. Good thing I have the 380 for parts. Going to replace the throttle cables this weekend.
Now my problem and what I need help with. I do not have a service manual (I am a certified diesel tech and have worked on 2 stroke and 4 stroke gas engines in my lifetime) to help me set the carbs to be tuned to each other. Anyone know how to set the carbs to be tuned and in sync to each other? Or does anyone have a service manual I can download to a jump drive?
I am happy to be on the ski doo side of snowmobiles. They have always intrigued me due to their styling and performance. Plus my in-laws only run ski doo and sea doo.
Thank you in advance and hope to have lots of conversations on this forum.
Lots of info here. Since your a tech a good carb clean and reset should be no problem.

Not sure what sled you have, just guessing something like a formula 500 zx chassis.
There is a separate forum area for all the different chassis.

Since the sled is new to you but older I would go ahead and change out all the skid bearings, clean clutches, clean carbs, new plugs, new belt, inspect sliders/hyfax, clean rave valves, change chain case oil etc. Easy maintenance and will be a great sled.

Check out the site I'm sure in the zx area you will find all kinds of good stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Are you also a cross country skier? If so, what kind of hat do you wear?... Welcome! there's a lot of knowledge here and many willing to help..

·
Registered
657 Posts
yep search the sub forums for your specific sled chassis . will get better info. there is somewhat of a spec for the carb slides i believe. and old sleds in extreme cold if stuck wide open will take off and ride away w/o you if your not sitting on it or have e-brake on. could take off and strike some one. i had a polaris storm take off ,miss some people and nail the sea wall. was a fun time. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for replying to my post. This will definitely help me in the correct direction. I did not know that I had to search under a specific chassis. Didn't realize it was almost like have it a 60's mopar with their different chassis to find parts and info. My plan for this sled is to use it as my ice fishing rig for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
You can't compare a 500 fanner to a 440 liquid. He will always beat you!

Liquid cooled engines make more HP than fanners. This is because fan cooled engines must function over a much wider temperature range, thus the clearances are wider and the compression is lower. This results in lower HP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can't compare a 500 fanner to a 440 liquid. He will always beat you!

Liquid cooled engines make more HP than fanners. This is because fan cooled engines must function over a much wider temperature range, thus the clearances are wider and the compression is lower. This results in lower HP.
Makes sense. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
21 MXZ XRS 850
3,776 Posts
Welcome to the site. Your opinions will offend nut there aint no better place to get answers to your Doo related questions.
I would say keep you questions are clesr as possible or you will end up with more questions than answers. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As today unfolded another opportunity arose. I have a chance to purchase a 94 safari. I was told it runs but the reverse doesn't work. I've got a ton of prepared scrap iron that I am going to haul in tomorrow afternoon to help purchase the safari. Anyone have any input on how much it could possibly sell for. The guy hasn't given me a price yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
welcome... we love threads about cans, oil, global warming, and ride lites. if you want to be become popular here, starting those threads is a clear winner, also becoming best friends with Tic is bonus points!
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic but it sounds like you are. And in that case I'm laughing. If not then I guess it is what it is.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
You guys are harsh. I have no problem with the FNG as long as he doesn't ride standing up, doesn't do throttle blipping, wear a backpack or use a motoX helmet.. Small things to ask.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
For that sled, just ensuring both slides are equally matched will be sufficient. After you replace the throttle cable, simply look into the carb bores (without the airbox installed). Cycle the throttle lever, and ensure both slides travel in unison. You don't really need vacuum gauges for it. For idle, start at the bottom and raise the slides equal amounts (via idle adjustment screws) until the sled idles as desired.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts