Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay--- My new sleds have patiently been waiting inside the trailer for snow since Dec 3rd. They have only 0.2 mile on them. I have them up on track stands, filled with gas and stabilizer, but My question is--- Is there something more I should be doing, like periodically starting them, or manually rotate the primary, or secondary. Since they are not "Broke -in", I'm Leary of starting them up just to have them idle, because everything I read on this forum about breaking in the sled, suggest the first 30- 50 mile is important for good ring seating, and is done by varying speed, load, and a few short WOT. What would you do?

Thanks!

·
Banned
483 Posts
Okay--- My new sleds have patiently been waiting inside the trailer for snow since Dec 3rd. They have only 0.2 mile on them. I have them up on track stands, filled with gas and stabilizer, but My question is--- Is there something more I should be doing, like periodically starting them, or manually rotate the primary, or secondary. Since they are not "Broke -in", I'm Leary of starting them up just to have them idle, because everything I read on this forum about breaking in the sled, suggest the first 30- 50 mile is important for good ring seating, and is done by varying speed, load, and a few short WOT. What would you do?

Thanks!
Sell them winters over check out the forecast for February LOL

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
One of the hardest facts about being a snowmobiler is that in order to maximize your investment (and enjoyment!!) you need to use them. You really need a trailer and go to the snow. That's the only way to ensure you will be able to ride every year. Even where I am in western Maine a bad winter can limit local riding to a month or less of riding. So, we trailer a half dozen times or more further into the hills (elevation) to get our riding in. Did about 75 miles last weekend and there is no riding around my house right now.

No need to start your sled at this point (in my opinion)....maybe to sit on it and visualize snow.... :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Good riding to be had. Not great but good. Gas is cheap so spend it on lodging. I've cried uncle and as soon as my studs are installed tomorrow I am heading north.

As far as starting the machines and not riding them, I recommend you don't do that. There is no good that can come of it. If you do, make sure you idle it until it gets as hot as possible. Starting an engine and not letting it get to operating temp introduces a huge amount of moisture to the inside of the engine due to condensation which accelerates corrosion.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well...take a week of vacation....hook up and start driving....according to the interweb....Watersmeet, MI is only 21hrs and 40 min (1151 miles)...Not too bad of a drive for 4-5 days out on the snow.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You live in NH and havent heard about Quebec yet ? Or better yet, loan it to me and I will get them broke in for ya :) Free of charge. I can pick it up on my way to the promised land

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Sometimes you have to dedicate the time to go after the snow..... if you're always waiting on a blizzard you're missing the one that already happened somewhere else. If you don't want to travel, then you'll have to live with what mother nature decides to provide. In the meantime, you don't need to do anything to the sleds, let em sit if that's all you can do.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I'd cry first and then I would run them through the summerization mode. Just don't start them after that until you are ready to do miles.

·
Registered
390 Posts
What works best for me is to either wash the truck or buy a lawn mower...guaranteed to get snow!

Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I wouldn't sell em, if that's what you're considering.

my family and I have been sledding since the mid '70s in NH and ME...and there were winters that we didn't put much more than 200-300 miles on in a year, due to poor snow conditions.

Or like others said...drive to the snow. :smile_old:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts