Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, This will be the year i spring check something, 03 800 Sdi grand touring is great but its just time. Anyways I'm having a difficult time, I'm really looking at the backcountry x but the dealer in my area is, how can i say, less then impressive. On the other hand i have a fantastic polaris dealer but not 100% sold on those sleds. Just looking for some input.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I considered a leftover Assault 144" from the dealer I ended up buying my Freeride from; spending about $3-4K more. There are things; small things, that I like better about the doo but I don't think the poo would have disappointed me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We are very satisfied with our 2015 backcountry and renagade x.

But I wouldn't discount Polaris they make some nice sleds also.

Having a good dealership means a lot .....and the doo dealers is only 10 minutes from us so riding Doo made good sense

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with paul yarek and couch1, Northern Ontario is a big place and there are plenty of dealers to choose from. Personally I have a great dealer close by and have trusted them on more than one large purchase.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Dealers get a lot more friendly when you show them you are serious about purchasing a new sled. Yep, damn capitalistic tards. Always wanting to sell you something. :p

Seriously though, you can go in 2-3 times to a dealer and just get the tired sales person that sees track-kickers all week long. I've been there, not in snowmobiles, but in other stuff. It gets really tough to be the smiley "can I help you" type of person every time when potential customers come in, look around, and walk out with no intention of buying anything in the first place.

Be the aggressor when it comes to wanting to purchase.

That said, I'm pretty biased against Polaris. I've not had good luck with any of the Poos I've owned. One thing I would say is to keep in mind this is the first winter with the new 800 motor with the light weight crank. While the specs and what people are saying about it have been great, for me, the jury is still out as far as durability. I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying that it really isn't proven with the masses.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
That said, I'm pretty biased against Polaris. I've not had good luck with any of the Poos I've owned. One thing I would say is to keep in mind this is the first winter with the new 800 motor with the light weight crank. While the specs and what people are saying about it have been great, for me, the jury is still out as far as durability. I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying that it really isn't proven with the masses.
Me also and rest assured that Polaris that is the very best sled {according to stupidtrax}will be all changed for next year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live close to sudbury Ont, Its about an hour drive, the polaris dealer is 5 mins, Ive been in twice to the skidoo dealer and the second time i said I'm looking at buying right now and they said, whatever we have left is in the showroom, i tried to explain i knew the model but he couldn't get out of his chair to help. I have friends that have bought new sleds and have not been pleased with timelines of repairs and knowledge. Its still a tough call even with that because the bcx seems to be great for my intended purpose

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealers get a lot more friendly when you show them you are serious about purchasing a new sled. Yep, darn capitalistic tards. Always wanting to sell you something. :p

Seriously though, you can go in 2-3 times to a dealer and just get the tired sales person that sees track-kickers all week long. I've been there, not in snowmobiles, but in other stuff. It gets really tough to be the smiley "can I help you" type of person every time when potential customers come in, look around, and walk out with no intention of buying anything in the first place.

Be the aggressor when it comes to wanting to purchase.

I totally understand the tire kickers, i imagine it can get receptive putting on a "happy face"

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I bought my SWT in the spring of 2014 I wanted to see what sort of response I would get from the dealers around me. I knew exactly what I wanted, so I made a list and emailed it to 10 dealers within a few hundred kilometres of my location. The Timmins dealer was a no-show, the Cochrane dealer replied right away, but couldn't supply from stock (he gets the service work now). Only about half the dealers replied. In the long run a dealer about 250km away not only replied to the email, but also followed up with a telephone call and was $1500 cheaper than anyone else on a machine in stock. Their service was top-notch and they followed thru' on every detail that they promised. So ...... my advice would be to do what I did.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Fish, you live close to Sturgeon Falls then if the dealer is crap I have had experience with Algonquin Equipment in Lively they seem great

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I wanted a close by dealer first and foremost.

Talking to the two local dealers, I was slightly more impressed with the Doo dealer than the Polaris dealer. The fact that the only Polaris 4 stroke option was an orphaned left-over that they weren't going to cut me much of a deal on pretty much finalized it for me.

If there was a Cat or Yamaha dealer "close enough", I probably would have gone with one of them. Taking a half a day to drop a sled off for service and another half day to pick it up didn't strike me as a good idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fish, you live close to Sturgeon Falls then if the dealer is crap I have had experience with Algonquin Equipment in Lively they seem great
Actually AE is the dealer i was talking about, i live in Espanola, we used to have a skidoo dealer but has closed up. Location has a bit to do with it swell but assuming i will be at the dealer less with the skidoo?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And i guess to me that would be more Important, i really don't care if the sales rep is great and then the service sucks, but other way around I'm ok with. Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts