Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pick up my new sled this weekend and go up to the u.p. on sunday the 5th of feb. I have not owned a sled in quite a while, so I am wondering if there
is anything I should look for or be aware of on my first ride. We are planning on
leaving Manistique on monday the 6th and not returning hopefully untill friday the
11th. I am nervous about such a long trip having never riden this machine.

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
438 Posts
welcome aboard and congrats on the new sled. you have bigger nads than I doo, picking up your new sled and heading out on a trip like that. The gade 600sdi is the best sled out there IMO and you will love it but first take it slow to start and get used to the machine, these sled are fast and smooth and can get you in over your head in no time. and bring your owners manual and read about your suspension adjustments so you can get it dialed in on the trail.
good luck and have fun,let us know how the trip goes.
kevin

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Ok, first off this is after a few margartias this might be a little messed up.....

In 5 days of riding you may have to do some adjustments to things that are going to wear in.
Check chain and tighten
Check track and tighten
Springs (All 5) should have set in by 300 miles might need to adjust
The all famus 'chip' will have brn out by 10 hours (oh the stories!)
Your belt should have enough miles you might have to adjust deflection to be at optimum.
Also your clickers (lots of info if you do a search) migth need to be ajusted to make you sled have a max RPM of 8100 or so.

OK I know it MAY seem like a lot to remember but these are just some items that change in the first 300-500 miles. One of the biggest is keep ing suspension "tuned' to YOUR type of riding. These sleds are great you shoud be riding mid pack in ANY competitve group you ride with.
One last thing...... WHEN IN DOUBT PUNCH OUT!!!

05SDI

·
Registered
26 Posts
Add a pint of oil to the first tank of gas to be safe, and watch the oil consumption from the oil tank closely.

I just did a 3-day 500 mile trip with a new 600SDI renegade, and it used barely any oil the first tank. I was concerned so I kept adding oil to the gas each time I filled up (pint per tank). Did NOT foul a single plug. Temps were 30 to 45 degrees the whole trip.

I calculated the oil used by the injection system and the gas burned, and the ratio was close to 100 to 1. I called a Doo dealer and they indicated that it should be closer to 40 to 1 on average, or about a quart per tank when the pump is set properly.

Just got the sled back from the dealer today, not the one I bought it from, and he said that the oil pump setting was WAY to lean. If I hadn't been watching and adding more oil, its likely I would have lunched the engine.

Lean oil pump settings appear to be too common.
Keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, of the four of us that are going two of them are
real sled heads, but one of them seems to thrive on tweeking and
checking every setting possible. That said, I feel better about this trip and
can't wait to get out there. Heres hoping that the snow and cold weather
stick around. Thanks again guys, I am sure I will have more questions
when I get back. I'll be sure to post when I get back.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Rev's ride will be like nothing you have experienced before with a sled, IMO. Have a great trip. Im headed up to Brimley on Wednesday for a few days. And welcome to the site. Sent you a PM.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts