Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just picked my 2020 XRS and this is my first time buying new and have a few questions.

1. For break in motor dealer said drive the way you want just don't leave open throttle for long stretches. Is this right or should I go easy on it? Anything else I should know.

2. I'm planing on putting a trail can on it. Should I wait until break in period is over?

3. I've heard someone say before that you shouldn't stud a new track. You should run it a bit first. Is this true or can I stud it now.

Pictures doesn't do this sled justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Nice looking sled!
You will be in breakin mode for approx. 400 miles so you won't feel it's full potential until past breakin.
I agree not holding it wide open on the lake for any extended period but I wouldn't be afraid to pin the throttle for quick bursts.
agree with snirthead also....skip the can!

Nice sled, read your owner's manual and skip the can.

·
Super Moderator
29,368 Posts
Run the motor in hard-ish. Heat cycles are good. I normally do short full throttle blasts across the back field, miles at a time.

On the track, probably wouldn't hurt to wait a few miles but probably no real reason to wait these days.

And yeah, PLEASE, skip the can. No need for one other than noise.

Wicked looking sled too, BTW. :righton

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I've always studded mine right away. On the break in just vary the throttle / RPM - don't cruise or baby it. Just load the engine as much as possible especially those first 20 miles, accelerate - coast - repeat. I don't think you need to pin it WFO just load it. And to really throw a monkey wrench in the mix I break mine in with Doo mineral based oil. I suck the full syn out with turkey baster and then fill with dead dinos. After 100 miles I start topping it off with syn and slowly switch it over. The puter adds extra oil during break-in anyway. And I agree with KRM - adjust your chain tension after the first 100 miles. I also check and adjust track tension after those first 100 miles. Some dealers still send them out power robbing rubber band tight. I'd do it before the first ride but I don't start the sled until I'm going to ride it - back to keep it loaded thing....

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I'm not going to mention the " c " word but I can think of other things that sled could use first: storage, wind protection, upgraded lighting, etc...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice sled, do everyone a favor and skip the trail closer........
I assume you mean trail can and not closer. Around were I live my trail can is considered quiet compare to what 80% of other sledders run. One more noisy sled is not going to make the difference.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The fastest sleds are the ones ran like you would normally run I hear a lot. Seats the rings best on cylinders. Just don’t hold it pinned for a long stretch.

·
Super Moderator
29,368 Posts
I assume you mean trail can and not closer. Around were I live my trail can is considered quiet compare to what 80% of other sledders run. One more noisy sled is not going to make the difference.
Actually it will. Be the first to set the example. Be part of the solution, not the problem. :righton

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Just picked my 2020 XRS and this is my first time buying new and have a few questions.

1. For break in motor dealer said drive the way you want just don't leave open throttle for long stretches. Is this right or should I go easy on it? Anything else I should know.

2. I'm planing on putting a trail can on it. Should I wait until break in period is over?

3. I've heard someone say before that you shouldn't stud a new track. You should run it a bit first. Is this true or can I stud it now.

Pictures doesn't do this sled justice.
Good looking sled freeon, have fun & be safe know matter what can you decide on!! :ridedoo:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts