Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....the wife and i are going to go look at the options for getting a renegade 600 carb....either getting a slight discount for a left over 16 or paying the slight extra depending on spring-fever options/warranty.

That being said.....i am coming off of a 97 yamaha vmax 500

-am i going to like the XP chassis?
-is the ride/rider position really that much more user friendly?
-does anyone out there have any experience on the 600 carb and like it?
-also does anyone know the warranty for either buying left over vs. spring order?

im not really looking for a fuel injected sled......like the old school approach of things.

and has anyone who owns one of these had any dislikes?

ive heard rumors on here of someone hooking the engine temp/ambient air temp to the budds connector with success but also heard some say theirs did not work.......if i were to purchase the module.....would the dealer likely return it if it doesn't adapt to the sled?

thanks in advance guys.......this site has been a blessing as everyone i ride with rides either cat or yammies and id rather be the odd ball........not to mention i like the idea of riding something where there are more service centers than the other brands for maintance/repair issues here in michigan.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I know this isint going to really answer your question. But 2 things to consider, there are some really great deals out there on leftover stuff. Deals that make it not worth settling for a carbed sled,when you can get an ETEC for a really good price, with R motion suspension. Secondly I wont go as far as bashing carbs, they have there place in the sport, and there is nothing wrong with them, but I would suggest really reconsidering the idea of wanting to go old school. But at the end of the day any new sled no matter which route you go, is going to be a million times better than that old vmax. Also the spring order warranty will be longer.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
The 600 carb motor is pretty much bullet proof. Will this be for 2 up riding?

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Yes, you'll like the XP chassis.

Having recently upgraded from a 90's sled to a '15 XS chassis, I can say that the rider forward position takes some getting used to, specially when going down a steep hill. As for comfort, that is the #1 reason I decided to upgrade. Told the wife that I either needed to buy a new machine or save up money for doctor bills.

Recent trip, a friend was riding my old machine and said it was having problems, so we swapped sleds for about 2 miles. I could not believe how much that thing beat me up compared to my new sled. (turned out my old sled just had loose spark plugs!!).

600 Carb is a great motor. Hard to compare it to your Viper as I don't know how your VMAX was set up. A friend has a VMAX and it is set up to really take off, but then has limited top end. Skidoo Gade 600 will have some snap to it, but typically Skidoo is slow start, great middle and has decent top end. (when comparing to others in the same class). Doesn't take much to change that though if you don't like it.

As far as warranty and electronics, you'll have to ask your dealer. Some dealers will, some dealers won't.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dood.....my wife said she would not be opposed to riding with me for no longer than 30 minutes or so. she doesn't like the cold but doesn't mind the scenery. that being said i honestly expect that if she were going to want to ride....it would be fore a whopping 10 miles at most down a seasonal road and then right back to the warm cabin. so 99% of the time it will be me on it only.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ThebearAk.......the old vmax is setup for (what was at the time) plush riding.....low clutch engagment and smoth slower style off the line. its definately no racer BUT that being said im keeping it also for a back-up or yamadog to ride when a friend wants to ride

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I like Yamahas, but The 500 Vmax is maybe 85hp if it's running well. The Renegade will have at least 20hp more. I think you'll be very happy with the Renegade. Why a Renegade over a short track though?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly I'm Not getting any younger and would like something that is a little smoother over the whooped out rough sections of trails. And my new riding friend also rides way up in the UP and more track hopefully equals more flotation for the very few off trail/pulling off to the side of the trail moments.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
I rode a 98' formula 3 700 and loved it but I didn't know any better at the time. The motor was great but that seating position?... I'd have to bring a bottle of tums with me for every ride as my stomach was always buckled over riding that old platform. It was like sitting on a sofa that's too low/close to the floor.. Rider forward, more so than the motor is why you need to upgrade. You can rider longer more comfortably and feel good after 100mi. instead of saying "gawd, get me OFF this thing".. The 600 carb is a great motor that should last a long time, deliver relatively good fuel economy and run smooth and quiet. It also has enough power to put a smile on your face every time you squeeze the throttle. You're making a great decision IMHO

·
Ride it like ya stole it
3,759 Posts
Yup like above ... the warranty is better with spring checking, but if you can get an awsome deal on a leftover, you could buy a extended warranty for a few hundred and still be ahead...

600 carb motor is great.. the sport chassie is a XP and is a whole lot better than what your riding now.. only bad thing is the shocks, which is still better than your yammy..

the 600 carb is the most BANG for your buck sled you can get..

also check with your dealer on the temp gauge thing.. they should have one for that sled..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well ,I just got rid of my 00 sxr so I know your sled and yes hands down without a doubt you wish you only had ever ridden a rider forward sled.

I have a 600 carb and a 600 etec

The deals are to good to buy the 600 carb in a old xp skin.

The carb is good but personally you suffered long enough ! It's time to just buy the etec 600 and never look back. You owe it to yourself.

I cringe knowing you were riding on like 3 inches of rear suspension. You deserve a medal.

G

·
I've got a 600 Renegade Carb. Haven't gotten to ride it much with the lack of snow over the last two years. The only complaint I have is the throttle is a little hard to pull. I hesitate to call this a complaint because you get used to it, but if you have trouble with your hands in that way you might not like it.

Also setup out of the box it will ride a wheelie for a mile. A few adjustments to the suspension and it stays pretty flat, but still enough ski lift to hop over things when you want to. Great fun!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I also suggest not getting the renegade sport, it's a uncoupled rear skid on that particular sled.

If your a trail rider mostly 129 is perfect ,no need to deal with the extra push if you never go off trail.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You will never understand why rider forward wasn't invented earlier after you ride it for awhile! LOL There simply is no comparison to how much more comfortable an XP would be against any other traditional sled.

I am a buyer that will either purchase the entry level sled or look for leftovers myself. I do not have $10K around for a snowmobile and end up in the $6k-$8K range which typically puts me in the Sport models or leftover TNT (which is what I bought in 2013) range. The thing is, these are still GOOD sleds just with low end shocks and older tech under the hood. Doesn't mean you can't go for 200 mile rides or enjoy some powder busting. Just means you aren't doing it with the biggest, most efficient motors and you can't tame the rough stuff quite as well as the top of the line sleds.

However, don't let that bother you! The sled you are looking at is a hell of a machine and will give you miles and hours of fun.

After a year or so when those Motion Control shocks wear out do a little search for HPG shocks or better (somebody somewhere will probably swap out HPGs for + or KYBs and have their HPGs available).

I think it is a great choice. It's considered "the best bang for the buck" in snowmobiling.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Don't let the "why pay more?" stigma of the sport turn you off. It's leaps and bounds ahead of what you were on and that chassis and motor are the most proven in the industry.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
You will love the XP carb. I wouldn't even ride if I had to ride a 97 chassis sled, it's that much of an improvement. Coming off a 97 I would say the carb will be great for you. I have one and like it a lot. I have ridden etec 600's and 800's too, are they nicer of course. Let's take the 800 out, is the etec 600 $1000 nicer? Yes, 1500 yes, 2500-3000? Personal choice. There is not anything the etec can do that the carb can't. It just does it a bit smoother. Engine is smoother, suspension is smoother and better on gas and oil. I would not hesitate getting the carb, especially coming off a 97. If money is no object or the deals are that sweet get the etec.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just bought a 15 ski doo sport and I really love it. I put 850 trouble free miles on in a month. I wish I had an etec but for my finacial situation the sport was the way to go for me. I like the fact that you can work on it yourself, not much electronic stuff. It has plenty of power for me. I kept up with 800's in the trees but lakes they would pull away, as they should. The only complaint is the junk throw away shocks they have but i just ordered x package fronts and zbroz shocks for the rear from Ian at monster performance. I was getting better MPG than the 600 polaris I was riding with. And my oil consumption was very good.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a Summit Sport 600 with carb. The service department at Alaska Mining and Diving (largest Ski Doo dealer in the country) says the 600 carb is the most dependable engine Ski Doo makes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You will love the 600 carb. After years on an apex, viper, Srx, Srx 700's. I am in love with the 600. Not nearly as fast as the apex but a great trail sled it is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No matter what you buy, there will always be something newer/better than what you just bought. The 600 carb motor is simple and dependable. You can still work on it and diagnose it yourself. The e-tecs have more expensive fuel related hardware and I would imagine harder to work on than a carb. Not saying they are more prone to failure, but some things in order to be diagnosed/fixed need dealer computer hookup. The carb motor pulls hard right up to 70 or so and then the newer engines will pull away a bit. I love my 500ss sleds and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one over a newer e-tec. I agree with passing on the renegade model due to lack of suspension coupling. Great off trail, but not as good on trail.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts