Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Can anyone tell me about thier experience with SDI or should i stick with Carborator model, planning on buying a sled soon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Depends on how long you will be keeping your sled. If you trade every year or so, go with the SDI. If you keep them any longer (ie: off warranty) go carbs. How long before they will come out with direct injection? SDI's will become boat anchors. Carbs anyone will be able to fix and tune.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Carbs are bullet-proof, SDI is NOT!

S-Simple
D-Design
I- Imperfection

You make the call, do you want to be riding or hauling sled to dealer for repairs?
Is the SDI worth the risk of Down time? The fuel milage is better, but mine's been at about 12MPG this year so far, so don't expect 20 mpg if you ride it really hard!

·
Super Moderator
29,365 Posts
No more carbs for me. I am a big SDI fan in every way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
its a tough call i also was thinking about an sdi for next year but, i dont want to change plugs all the time for a little bit better fuel economy. its hard to believe that the sdi motor runs any better

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
2208 miles on mine. ZERO problems. Well, except for the occasional cold start fouled plug. MPG average is about 15. Rode with an 03 600 ho carb, Thursday and Friday, he would use about 2 gallons more than me each fill up. Same speeds. Later, Sxrlar.

·
Registered
353 Posts
SDI all the way!! I disagree with a previous post. The longer you keep the sled the more time to recoup some of the extra dough for the SDI as this motor more fuel efficient. I compare my numbers with a bud who has a 600 HO Renegade. I'm always considerably less than he. Plus no choke and e start.

I've had no problems with fouled plugs, set per year. I just turned 7,000 km. 20 miles per mile (Imperial Gallons). 40 below temps outside parked overnite, just one push of the button, ready to roll.

There a some who will continously voice their displeasure with their sled, and justifiably so since it is causing them untold grief. Most will tell of there bad experience and not the good stuff. There are tons more not having problems that you do not hear of.

·
Registered
676 Posts
No problems so far. 200 miles. By the end of next week should have over 1,000 miles. See what happens. I have 6 "just in case" plugs in the "storage bin" , if you can call it that.

·
Registered
862 Posts
sdi hands down. throttle is crisp all the way through, simply awesome mileage. If I baby it I'll get 20 mpg, if I pound it the lowest I get is 15. Can't do that with a carb. Only drawback is that a carb is easier to play with, besides that there is no advantage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mick437 said:
Hey Guys,
Can anyone tell me about thier experience with SDI or should i stick with Carborator model, planning on buying a sled soon.
[snapback]288319[/snapback]​
stick with the Carborator , just read all the problems that brp has with the sdi,
brp still has no real fix for the sdi problem,yes i know alot of you have never
had plug fouling but there is more that do than dont , even after the new mapping
gets done sdi,s still foul plugs hmmmmmmmmmmm, think about it, what wrong
with the sdi ? 05 sdi,s foul plugs too, there still not fixed , we have ask brp what
the problem is and what did thay say , well this is what thay said, were working on a fix take it to the dealer ,thats bs, the dealer remaps it sends you on your way
and you still foul plugs thats not a fix to me , so with that said i will stick with my Carborator , its your $$$$ do you want to ride or keep dumping plugs, i want to ride , when brp fixes the sdi i will be first in line to get one . jmho

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
04800Renagade, from your name you must not own one. My SDI runs flawless. I get 13mpg riding hard and the one pull starts are a big bonus. Crisp throttle response and no 4000-5000 rpm stumble like My 03 600HO. BRP is probably going to go to SDI or direct injection on all their sleds, better get used to it. If this sled didnt run right I would be all over BRP like some others who have problems. Not perfect but going in the right direction.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have an 05 600 sdi gade. I have 2800 miles on it. Prior to the only update I had (2005-3) I fouled a couple of plugs. Since the update I have not fouled a plug. The sled runs awesome. I ride hard and always get at least 30 percent better mileage than my riding buddies on carbed sleds. I have owned 20 carbed sleds. Absent some major premature malfunction I will never go back to a carbed sled. My two cents.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
SDI is the way to go, I have one of each, and my next sled will be to replace the 800 Summit carb with a 1000 SDI. No problems with either, but the SDI runs cleaner and uses less gas & oil, less smoke, starts easier and runs crisper. (if there is such a word).

·
Registered
438 Posts
sdi all the way. fouled only one plug after daughter putted around field for an hour with it, other than that it is perfect. i ride alot of tight twisty trails where i'm on and off the gas all the time and gettig about 13mpg, i'm sure some nice long runs would get much more mph

( oops meant mpg )

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I currently have three 600 HO's 1 carb, 1 DPM, 1 SDI. Rank them as follows:

#1 SDI
#2 DPM
#3 Carb

They all run very well, but that SDI runs like a Swiss watch, very smooth and consistent. Sits out overnight at -15, first pull running. Then I get to go start the others. 3-5 pulls. Always 1-2 gallons better than the other two at the pumps.

Still on original plugs 460 miles.

For my money, go SDI

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a 04 Ren 600 ho with DPM. If I remember correctly, the SDI was $700 to $1000 more at the time. I felt that would cover a lot of extra gas and I do not have to use synthetic injection oil or high octane fuel all of which help compensate for using a little more gas.

The carb is apparently much easier to tune and modify if so inclined.

The SDI was new in 04 and we thought there might be a few wrinkles to iron out.
It appears that there are still some minor issues with the SDI at this stage.

Although I have not checked my mileage precisely, it seems no worse than my other sleds with smaller motors. I'am not too concerned with mileage anyway if we have no other problems and so far I have been delighted with this Renegade. BRP paid to install 440X rear torsion springs and I had the rings replaced also on warranty just as a precaution when it was in for the annual checkup. I paid a very small difference and had Cudney rings installed.

My brother bought a 05 renegade, carb and is also very happy with his choice.

To each their own, just my $.02

1 - 20 of 34 Posts