Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

New owner with some questions.

2490 Views 66 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  icestew
Hi all! New member here, and just getting back into riding. My last sled was an 84 Polaris 440 Indy Trail and sold that about 7-8 years ago. This year I decided to get back into it.
I just last week picked up a 99 MXZ 670HO with 3700 miles on the ticker. The sled is in near mint condition and has a fresh rebuild. The previous owner's son was riding it and thru a stud puncturing the heat exchanger. He then over heated the sled and siezed the motor. The motor was proffesionally rebuilt and now runs great. 145psi in both cylinders. So after I got the sled home and gave it a thorough cleaning and looking it over I have a few questions. The first one is how do I know what chassis, suspension, etc. this sled is? I guess I'm a little confused after reading many posts here. Is the 99 MXZ 670HO an S or ZX chassis and is the suspension an SC-10, 10II, or 10III? Also, how can I tell if the sled has been modified? ie clutched, jetted, etc. Is there an easy way to determine this or would I have to take it apart to find out? It has an aftermarket silencer (stock pipe though), so I'm wondering if anything else was done. I am the 3rd owner and the previous owner didn't own it that long and didn't know if it was clutched or jetted. And lastly, is there a diagnostic mode or a way to check to see that all the sensors and idiot lights are working properly? ie, temp sensors (my biggest concern), DPM system, etc. Sorry for the long post and all the Q's.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim
See less See more
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Hey Jim,

I also have one of those. That sled is an S-Chassis with a SC-10 (first version), although a newer rear suspension or aftermaket one could have been installed [You'll know if it is a M-10 (goofy colors) or Expert-X (just plain odd looking)]. If it's a Doo suspension, there will be a sticker by the rear axle indicating SC-10, II or III.

As for modifications, You'll have to check the carbs to see if the jets have been changed. You'll most likely have to take the clutches apart to see if any work has been done. An easy way to check, although it's no guarantee, is to check the engagement rpm for the primary. I believe it is 4800 for this sled.

As for diagnostics, talk to your dealer.

These are fast, fun sleds. This one is a world of difference compared to your '84 440.
thermopylae said:
Hey Jim,

I also have one of those. That sled is an S-Chassis with a SC-10 (first version), although a newer rear suspension or aftermaket one could have been installed [You'll know if it is a M-10 (goofy colors) or Expert-X (just plain odd looking)]. If it's a Doo suspension, there will be a sticker by the rear axle indicating SC-10, II or III.

As for modifications, You'll have to check the carbs to see if the jets have been changed. You'll most likely have to take the clutches apart to see if any work has been done. An easy way to check, although it's no guarantee, is to check the engagement rpm for the primary. I believe it is 4800 for this sled.

These are fast, fun sleds. This one is a world of difference compared to your '84 440.
[snapback]912046[/snapback]​
Thanks! I'm defenitly looking forward to riding this sled. That's one of the reasons I sold my Polaris and got out of riding. It just wasn't that much fun to go riding and I couldn't afford a fancy new sled.

As far as the suspension, I didn't notice any stickers, but I'll check when I get home later. I thought I read somewhere that the 99's were the first year for the ZX chassis and SC-10II, that's why I was a little confused.
And the clutch does seem to engage around that rpm. I'll have to check it again for sure though. Would it be higher or lower if it was clutched? And I'll check with the dealer about the diagnostics and see what they say. Thanks again for the info.
See less See more
QWIKWHIP said:
thermopylae said:
Hey Jim,

Thanks! I'm defenitly looking forward to riding this sled. That's one of the reasons I sold my Polaris and got out of riding. It just wasn't that much fun to go riding and I couldn't afford a fancy new sled.

As far as the suspension, I didn't notice any stickers, but I'll check when I get home later. I thought I read somewhere that the 99's were the first year for the ZX chassis and SC-10II, that's why I was a little confused.
And the clutch does seem to engage around that rpm. I'll have to check it again for sure though. Would it be higher or lower if it was clutched? And I'll check with the dealer about the diagnostics and see what they say. Thanks again for the info.
[snapback]912113[/snapback]​
the 99's was the first year of the zx and sc10-2 but the 670 ho were not zx. like said before they are s-2000 chassie and sc10. if they have a clutch kit it will most likely engage at a higher rpm. what do you have for a can on the sled. i had a dynoport on mine and it did sound nice but i lost a noticable amount of power bottom and top end due to it. when i sold my 670 ho last year the guy did not take my stock can with it so if you want it i will give you a great deal on it.
See less See more
waterx said:
the 99's was the first year of the zx and sc10-2 but the 670 ho were not zx. like said before they are s-2000 chassie and sc10. if they have a clutch kit it will most likely engage at a higher rpm. what do you have for a can on the sled. i had a dynoport on mine and it did sound nice but i lost a noticable amount of power bottom and top end due to it. when i sold my 670 ho last year the guy did not take my stock can with it so if you want it i will give you a great deal on it.
[snapback]912148[/snapback]​
Ahh, that's what was confusing me. Thanks.
And as for the can, I have no idea what kind it is. It's a polished S/S can though. But I would defenitly like to take the stock can off your hands if the price is right. I've actually been looking on ebay for one. I'm not so sure I like the louder can and would like to have the stock to compare. Shoot me a PM with a price. I'm at zip code 12019 (near Albany, NY) Thanks!
See less See more
G
QWIKWHIP said:
thermopylae said:
Hey Jim,

[snapback]912113[/snapback]​
ITS THE BEST "PRE" REV sled I ever had!!! You will love the power and how reliable it is!! 2-3 pulls every time... get to know the "feel" of your primer. 2-21/2 shots of gas and you should be good.(other wise it will a PITA to get started) You can feel when it is shooting gas in.... just a FYI...
thermopylae I dont know if you found the same to be true?
See less See more
G
Do you have any pictures?

Here is the only one that i could find quick...

See less See more
04MXZ_X_600HO said:
ITS THE BEST "PRE" REV sled I ever had!!! You will love the power and how reliable it is!! 2-3 pulls every time... get to know the "feel" of your primer. 2-21/2 shots of gas and you should be good.(other wise it will a PITA to get started) You can feel when it is shooting gas in.... just a FYI...
[snapback]912192[/snapback]​
I definately agree. Also, they can start REALLY hard after a trailside break. If the sled gets fussy, get a buddy to hold the throttle while you pull... And pull... And pull... The compression on these selds is tremendous...

ALWAYS USE PREMIUM FUEL

It will take your right thumb a few rides to get used to the dual 44's....

Also, 144 double backer studs down the middle makes this sled awesome across the lake... Or anywhere else...

04MXZ_X_600HO: Nice pic. I have the Tony Haikonnon(sp) edition (#314).
UMM...How many posts in a row do you need?
PW PW PW PW hahahahahahahahaha
See less See more
G
thermopylae said:
04MXZ_X_600HO said:
[snapback]912192[/snapback]​
I definately agree. Also, they can start REALLY hard after a trailside break. If the sled gets fussy, get a buddy to hold the throttle while you pull... And pull... And pull... The compression on these selds is tremendous...

ALWAYS USE PREMIUM FUEL

It will take your right thumb a few rides to get used to the dual 44's....

Also, 144 double backer studs down the middle makes this sled awesome across the lake... Or anywhere else...

04MXZ_X_600HO: Nice pic. I have the Tony Haikonnon(sp) edition (#314).
UMM...How many posts in a row do you need?
PW PW PW PW hahahahahahahahaha

[snapback]912219[/snapback]​

Thanks .. its the only pic i have on this comp....

I had a wire in the back of the seat to wrap around the throttle incase that would happen!!! That will also work if you over prime it when its cold too.

YES work out your thumb it will get tired after about 10 miles...

GREAT lake sled... watch out 7 and some 800's its a beast... put a good set of carbides on and it will corner like an animal...

That is a nice sled hermopylae... I couldn't find one of those when I was buying back in 99/00.

I just kept thinking of things I wanted to post after I had already done so.... NO PW here..
See less See more
G
QWIKWHIP said:
Thanks! And this is the only pic I've got so far.

[snapback]912215[/snapback]​
AHH brings back tons of good memories seeing that sled
See less See more
Thanks guys. It's nice to know that I made a good choice buying it.
See less See more
thermopylae said:
Hey Jim,

OK, This is what I have. I assume this is the SC-10. It appears to be stock.
Also, I ran the sled last night and it seems to idle at about 1500rpm and the clutch engages right at 4000rpm. Based on what your saying that seems low?

Also, Here's a pic of the can. Can anyone identify it?

See less See more
Here is my H.O after some boondocking south of the Buckhorn outside Munising Mi.
See less See more
G
QWIKWHIP said:
thermopylae said:
Hey Jim,

Also, I ran the sled last night and it seems to idle at about 1500rpm and the clutch engages right at 4000rpm. Based on what your saying that seems low?

[snapback]913173[/snapback]​
That can looks like a MBRP aftermarket.
See less See more
QWIKWHIP said:
thermopylae said:
Hey Jim,

[snapback]913173[/snapback]​
Good Morning, just looking at the tech data and it shows an clutch engagement RPM of 4200 +/- 200 so around 4000 would appear to be stock. Check Ebay for a CD of the shop manual for the 99 models, it comes in real handy!
Formula670 said:
Good Morning, just looking at the tech data and it shows an clutch engagement RPM of 4200 +/- 200 so around 4000 would appear to be stock. Check Ebay for a CD of the shop manual for the 99 models, it comes in real handy!
[snapback]913264[/snapback]​
Cool, thanks.
I actually ordered one of those Ebay CD's on Tuesday and it's on it's way.
See less See more
Did you say there's "S/S" on the canister? That would be a Sno Stuff Rumble Pack if there is. Also, that's definitely an SC-10 under your sled. Great choice on a sled! Those HO motors will really rip.
Welcome!
See less See more
tughillterror said:
Did you say there's "S/S" on the canister? That would be a Sno Stuff Rumble Pack if there is. Also, that's definitely an SC-10 under your sled. Great choice on a sled! Those HO motors will really rip.
Welcome!
[snapback]913372[/snapback]​
Thanks man. And no, the "S/S" is not on the can, what I meant was that it's a Stainless Steel can.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.