Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys , Just bought a new crate motor for my 2007 mxzx 800. Going to be putting the dual ring piston kit from RK TEK with the head and re-flash. Just wondering if anyone has this set up and what they think. Suppose to get +20hp over stock. I have boyesen reeds and a straightline clutch kit. Sled was fast before it blew just wondering what people think of this set up? Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did that same exact set up.
After 1000 miles the mag piston
failed. Ring locating pin came up
through the top of the piston.
Ruined the cylinder. Kelsey sent me
2 new pistons "i had to pay for one"
Ran the sled for another 1000 miles
and failed again. I went back to stock
and have over 2000 miles with no problems.

Lee

·
Registered
898 Posts
I did that same exact set up.
After 1000 miles the mag piston
failed. Ring locating pin came up
through the top of the piston.
Ruined the cylinder. Kelsey sent me
2 new pistons "i had to pay for one"
Ran the sled for another 1000 miles
and failed again. I went back to stock
and have over 2000 miles with no problems.

Lee
OUCH!! I wonder why that happened?? I use those Pro-X pistons in all my seadoo watercraft, and have had no failures. I really like the pro x pistons.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
IMO you just bought a new crate motor, run it for a few k miles then put the new pistons in. Why did you waist your money on a crate motor if you could have just bought a good used motor and rebuilt it?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The Series III Drop In PIston kit has been around for 10 years... I (Pro X... made by ART.. the Largest piston maker in the WORLD) have NEVER had a locating pin failure.

The kit is time tested and VERY proven!!! Keep in mind everything you read on public forums is not accurate...

You will be very happy with this kit as are the 1000's and 1000's of others that are currently running it.. You would not believe how many of these kits are out there running strong on the snow...

Kelsey

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Series III Drop In PIston kit has been around for 10 years... I (Pro X... made by ART.. the Largest piston maker in the WORLD) have NEVER had a locating pin failure.

The kit is time tested and VERY proven!!! Keep in mind everything you read on public forums is not accurate...

You will be very happy with this kit as are the 1000's and 1000's of others that are currently running it.. You would not believe how many of these kits are out there running strong on the snow...

Kelsey
Yea i will still be doing this kit because i have heard nothing but good about it. The biggest thing i would like to know is the performance side of it. Will i see a big gain over stock? And Kelsey would it be better just to send you the whole motor and you can set it up? maby even port it? Thanks Kirk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO you just bought a new crate motor, run it for a few k miles then put the new pistons in. Why did you waist your money on a crate motor if you could have just bought a good used motor and rebuilt it?
Waist my money on a crate motor? Have you ever heard anything good about buying a used motor? Its used and for sale for a reason. I know it seems like alot to do for a 5 year old sled but when the rest of the sled is mint and set up perfect why switch? Just couldn't be comfy with a fresh top end in a sled with a lower end having a couple thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have read all good things about RK TeK and there kits.The only reason I did not go with them on my motor was because I live a mile away from the crankshop so I went with them on my rebuild.

·
Directional Driller
974 Posts
I've been runnin Kelsey's kit and have had nothing but an awesome time since I installed it. Had to jet different than his recomendations due to my elevation. It runs awesome and pulls like no other. I also went with a DJ clutch kit to get the power to the track and it's kept a smile on my face since. Kelsey and Joey if you read this thanks again for answering all my questions that I had throughout my build and all the pointers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts