Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here are some of my observations, I'm sure there will be much wailing and grinding of teeth, that is if anybody cares at all:

That XRS looks like exactly what I have been assembling the parts for to build myself. Now instead of building I should just buy what I've wanted for three years.

Are the 07 (same) engines unreliable? Maybe they will be for some, but I've had a DMP 800 now for three years and a 600 SDI for two, and they are both fantastic engines. The 600 got rings under warranty, but that was just the dealer being proactive as compression had not fallen yet. So far, they have been more reliable than any sled I've ever owned.

Yeah, I guess prices are up again. Here's the thing: the US dollar continues an international decline, while the Canadian dollar is at an unprecedented high. A Greenback that bought $1.55 CAD only a couple of years ago only buys $1.13 today. That alone would account for more than a 25% USD price increase. Maybe BRP cannot continue to be competitive in that environment, but last Thursday the Canadian dollar hit another record high, so this will only get worse. Look at it this way: for Canadians like me, the prices for Poo and Cat have been right up there with BRP, and have not fallen 25% in Canada like they should have. And the same USD exchange issue that causes higher BRP prices will cause higher Yamaha prices as well.

I love my Revs, and seeing some '07 specs for BRP and the others, that will continue for at least another year. I have a good friend with a new Yamaha, and it is impressive indeed. I appreciate everything about it. Would I trade in my Revs? Not nearly, not yet. If and when I can ride a new Apex like I can ride my MXZ, and (if) BRP sat on their "edit for bad language" with no changes for the next bunch of years, then I might change. But right now those are huge ifs.

If you ask me, BRP built exactly what Dootalk asked for.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You are exactly right. For every one engine problem, there are 100 other reliable engines. The poll was conducted here on dootalk.

As far as prices, C'mon guys, you are buying the best sled on the market. And in reality, the X package is only $200 more than last year. Will that stop me from buying a new sled? No fricken way.

G

·
We Are looking at a possible 90 cent Canadian dollar this year as the U.S continues to rack up record trade deficits!

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Its not so much the price!
Its warranty coverage.
Its backorder parts all the time
after paying 10k in the begining.
give a little better warranty for the money.

I'm talking for guys that don't mod their sleds,if you mod you lose.

Just like trucks now

Thats my whine ,got any cheese !

Rich

·
Registered
290 Posts
i just wish i could afford to buy a new sled...still rockin' the 03 REV here!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I feel the 07 line-up is very uneventfull . There are no changes to the Aderaline 600 HO SDI . BRP is resting on its laurels with the REV ,they keep wasting their R&D money on the flopped Freestyle ( never saw one on the snow in Centeral New York). Now their trying the older group of people with the legend.

The 600HO SDI should have had some type of updating (larger w- shaped reeds) to squeeze a litte more HP to make it more competive with the F-6 and Fusion.

The 07' 600HO SDI is just the same old girl with a new dress on.
Because of this I will be keeipng my 06' 600 HO SDI.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Warranty's a good point, I suppose.

But is this partly a dealer issue? Mine has come through on rings, well before they failed, and a guage that quit and was dealt with between Monday and the following weekend so my riding wasn't interfered with. I never experienced a backorder problem. Only with a recoil part, and it was in two days later. I think alot of BRP warranty issues may hinge largely on a dealer willing to go to bat for you on something. Of course this also involves being fair with a dealer, and not trying to push a claim on something that is ruined though abuse. And for the record, of course I don't think carb boots and ring flaking are abuse.

Again, i'm sure there have been lots of problems, but I think that misery loves company, so people that do have issues love to talk about them and propagate them.

We pay alot more for cars, get better (sort of) warranties, and sometimes even worse service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tnt said:
I feel the 07 line-up is very uneventfull . There are no changes to the Aderaline 600 HO SDI . BRP is resting on its laurels with the REV ,they keep wasting their R&D money on the flopped Freestyle ( never saw one on the snow in Centeral New York). Now their trying the older group of people with the legend.

The 600HO SDI should have had some type of updating (larger w- shaped reeds) to squeeze a litte more HP to make it more competive with the F-6 and Fusion.

The 07' 600HO SDI is just the same old girl with a new dress on.
Because of this I will be keeipng my 06' 600 HO SDI.
[snapback]747709[/snapback]​
I think we should all have some more appreciation for manufacturing cost. Making drastic changes year in and year out is very expensive when manufacturing anything. If sleds were $20K, we would be paying for that kind of development rate. Unfortunately manufacturers have to rest on laurels sometimes, just to pay for the development of the next wave of products. They are in business to make money, after all.
I just think that if BRP had to pick a spot to rest at (if that's what they are doing) they picked a good one. To me, that XRS looks like a fantastic machine, and the 600SDI is a fantastic engine.

Look at it another way, we must be in for something different for 2008, because almost all manufacturers unload all of their toys on a model the last year before they change it. It works that way with cars, too.

I haven't seen a Freestyle on the trail either, but from the marketing, it didn't appear to be their target anyway. More playing around in a field or backyard.

They must have hit the right nail, though, 'cause the new Phazer is just a variation (albeit a very cool one) on a theme.

·
Super Moderator
29,432 Posts
tnt said:
[snapback]747709[/snapback]​
If you can't compete/beat those sleds you must have a poor runner. My old '04 Gade would run all day long with those sleds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
GSX800HO is right on with the warranty thing,I love my Revs and wouldn't be riding as much as I do with out a rider forward sled.I bought an 03 when thay first came out and have owned 4-600ho and 2-500ss.

Had the ring thing on 2-600HOs,bearing problem on another.The dealer and BRP have taken care of the problems. I am very happy with my dealer and BRP, however I was lucky they fell with in the waranty period.I had some other small issues I fixed myself like sticking oil pump.

BRP gave only a 1-year warranty on my 2 spring ordered 05 Xs and I will never forgive them for it.

When I sell or trade these sleds I lose alot of money on them because no one wants the problem engine's.

I have had no issues with my 2-500ss sleds,but now you can only get it in a trail package.I would have to replace the shocks and install a bar and riser kit.BRP should have come out with an X type package in a 500ss because that engine has a better track record.

I think I'm going with the Phazer for the shocks,riser and warranty.

Speed limit in NY is now 55mph,no reason to pay for hp. you can't use in an engine you have a tough time selling because of reliabilty issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts