Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new here on the forum , and about a month ago purchased a 08 renegade 800r.. It's my first sled and I'm in love with riding it.. I just hope to learn and gain great advice from all of you on here.

On a side note , i think I might have jumped into purchasing my sled.. I paid 5000$ and the guy told me there was only 2400 miles which I didn't think was bad and about 800 miles on a complete rebuild but me being new to the sport to didn't check over the sled as well as I should've. I clicked the button to show the mileage and it's like 5,300 miles. Don't know if I was lied too or if it was even rebuilt but it seems to run great. Well sorry for the long post and I look forward to learning more about my sled, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ouch that sucks to find that out like that. You can get an idea of how fresh the motor is by doing a compression check on each cylinder.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'll have to try that. It seems to run great though it pulls hard ( to me at least since I'm new to the sled) always starts on the third pull even in cold days. It's a little beat up around the edges and dirty under the hood. Gives me something to work on in the summer months. Only thing that worries me Is i do hear a little rattling noise when it's running that's all.. Not sure where or what it is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is most likely the clutch. I just rebuilt mine at 3400 miles. But it probably could have used it around 2000 miles. The ski doo kit is $120. The only tool you need is the 3 forks to hold the guides and o rings. The spring compression tool can be made from a threaded rod, nuts and washers. I used a vice or you can mount the rod onto a piece of wood. No clutch puller either. I used the stock bolt with Teflon tape and water, a ratchet strap to the tunnel to hold it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I'll look into that after the season I just wanna ride as much as I can this winter.. Also I was some buddies one day and had a bunch of oil on the top of my engine had a technician look at it and he said there was two gaskets on one of the spark plugs and he took it off and tightened it back up... Said I should be good.. Any thoughts or should I be worried there ?

·
life is short, live long
29,127 Posts
Could have the dealer run the vin. Might give you a little history.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really? Even though I'm not even sure where it was purchased or anything. There's a 2011 Maine sticker on it and I live in Minnesota. Could a dealer still find out anything about it?

·
Metalhead
9,090 Posts
Willkommen auf der Seite dootalken :wingman:

learn more about your Clutches.

Primary clutch

http://www.ibackshift.com/article/-162.asp

Maintenance.

Since 2008 there have been 3 updates on clutch wear parts for the tra-7 primary.

The maintenance kit below gives the latest/greatest wear parts. Once installed they take about a ½ tank of petrol of driving to "break in" and start to perform with consistency.

Maintenance kit for drive pulley (buy from local skidoo dealer)

1 spring cover asy, 3 rollers, 1 bushing, 6 slider shoes and o-rings, 1 circlip, 3 cotter pins & lever axles

2008~10, 800PT & Etec

BRP#415129627

@ $139.00

I only recommend the original BRP primary clutch rollers because they are 1) the original diameter and 2) they weigh 9 grams. The fact of the original smallest diameter is a benefit with a great degree towards the promotion of quick backshift and strong bottom end acceleration using the most of the meat of the engine's torque curve.

Secondary clutch

http://www.ibackshift.com/article/mods-and-improvement-168.asp

Secondary Clutch rollers

http://hitorquerollers.com/Rev_XP.html

Any one of the major parts and/ or a combination of them all wearing or worn out will contribute to engine speed lowering.

Most quick, fast removal of primary clutch? (Water trick)

and

and

and

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/627882-clutch-puller-broke/?p=5773161

Here is the tools to do the work

http://www.c-tpowersports.com/2013website/product/Clutch%20Kit_complete.html

Four maintenance videos

Belt deflection

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the sled, where are you located in MN, if you are close I have the tools to do the clutches and Joe's clutch kit as well, it's great and worth it,read the posts Joe gave, it will help understand the black magic that's in clutching. I am a beginner as well, but Zachusmc are always looking for another Dootalker to shoot the bull with and enjoy some shop time with.

Woody

1 - 12 of 12 Posts