Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally have enough snow in my area to get in some limited riding. I went out twice, and my 2020 MXZ X 850 is riding beautifully. There's a very little learning curve for me as my last sled was a 2018 MXZ X 850. The only real difference is the new gauge. I have read the owner's manual, and manipulated the gauge controls every way I found possible, and unfortunately I do not find the new gauge an improvement over the old gauge.

My overall review of the gauge is as follows:

POSITIVE

It's nice to see more settings when riding. The clock is my favourite display to see.

The gauge is clear and easy to read.

NEGATIVES

I am unable to reset my hour meter. It seems that there is only one hour meter which is a cumulative hour meter.

I'm riding a sled, not driving a boat. I like to reset my daily hour meter, and Km settings at the start of each ride so that I know how long and how many Km I ride in a given day.

I use my trip A for daily ride Km, and my trip B for #Km since last gas fill up. It would have been really nice if a trip C was added given that it is a fully digital gauge. That would allow me to keep track of total Kms in a multi day trip. But nope, no C!

The manual says that you can reset your hour meter, but you can't, or at least I can't figure out how to do so.

I ride in the mountains, and I really miss the altimeter display. I don't know why they removed that feature. Again on a digital gauge it would have been very easy and inexpensive to add.

While it's interesting to see my average fuel consumption, I really don't need to see it on my main screen. Fuel consumption average varies greatly depending on what terrain I am riding and it's not an important display setting for me. Top speed is not important for me to see on my main gauge display either. My top speed is a setting a kind of liked a bit hidden not visible for anyone looking at my gauge. (Did someone say trail Police?)

The right side of the display shows the engine temperature which is a nice feature, but the heat bar was sufficient. It would have been nice to include an ambient air temperature setting to the new gauge display. That was always an option on the old gauges as was the record and playback module. Neither are available on the new gauge.

The backlight of the display is supposed to be dimmable "to 18 settings" but I haven't yet figured out how to dim or brighten the display despite having read the manual, tried every button combination on my sled, and looked up tutorials online detailing functions on the new gauge. Either it's auto adjust or it's not really a feature. This will not be the 1st thing that has changed from the owners manual to the actual sled. Perhaps as I ride the sled more, I'll find the answers to some of these questions.

There are no manual M and S buttons on the gauge, so if your handlebar controls stop functioning for any reason, you have no gauge backup controls.

OVERALL

There are some very good ideas at work to make the gauge more comprehensive, but overall I feel that the gauge lacks what most riders consider important information for daily or multi day rides and conversely the gauge constantly displays insignificant information needed for daily rides.

With such a large display it's too bad that Ski-Doo didn't give riders what they want most, and what will be most useful to them.

Many riders I know really want a built in GPS. If Polaris has one, why doesn't ski-doo? That would certainly be more useful than average fuel consumption.

I hope that the next gauge iteration will be an upgrade to this one.

COMMENTS

If anyone knows if there is a way to reset daily hour display, please let me know.

I'd love to hear what others think of the new "deluxe" gauge!

Thanks, and ride safely!

Carole

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,299 Posts
We finally have enough snow in my area to get in some limited riding. I went out twice, and my 2020 MXZ X 850 is riding beautifully. There's a very little learning curve for me as my last sled was a 2018 MXZ X 850. The only real difference is the new gauge. I have read the owner's manual, and manipulated the gauge controls every way I found possible, and unfortunately I do not find the new gauge an improvement over the old gauge.

My overall review of the gauge is as follows:

POSITIVE

It's nice to see more settings when riding. The clock is my favourite display to see.

The gauge is clear and easy to read.

NEGATIVES

I am unable to reset my hour meter. It seems that there is only one hour meter which is a cumulative hour meter.

I'm riding a sled, not driving a boat. I like to reset my daily hour meter, and Km settings at the start of each ride so that I know how long and how many Km I ride in a given day.

I use my trip A for daily ride Km, and my trip B for #Km since last gas fill up. It would have been really nice if a trip C was added given that it is a fully digital gauge. That would allow me to keep track of total Kms in a multi day trip. But nope, no C!

The manual says that you can reset your hour meter, but you can't, or at least I can't figure out how to do so.

I ride in the mountains, and I really miss the altimeter display. I don't know why they removed that feature. Again on a digital gauge it would have been very easy and inexpensive to add.

While it's interesting to see my average fuel consumption, I really don't need to see it on my main screen. Fuel consumption average varies greatly depending on what terrain I am riding and it's not an important display setting for me. Top speed is not important for me to see on my main gauge display either. My top speed is a setting a kind of liked a bit hidden not visible for anyone looking at my gauge. (Did someone say trail Police?)

The right side of the display shows the engine temperature which is a nice feature, but the heat bar was sufficient. It would have been nice to include an ambient air temperature setting to the new gauge display. That was always an option on the old gauges as was the record and playback module. Neither are available on the new gauge.

The backlight of the display is supposed to be dimmable "to 18 settings" but I haven't yet figured out how to dim or brighten the display despite having read the manual, tried every button combination on my sled, and looked up tutorials online detailing functions on the new gauge. Either it's auto adjust or it's not really a feature. This will not be the 1st thing that has changed from the owners manual to the actual sled. Perhaps as I ride the sled more, I'll find the answers to some of these questions.

There are no manual M and S buttons on the gauge, so if your handlebar controls stop functioning for any reason, you have no gauge backup controls.

OVERALL

There are some very good ideas at work to make the gauge more comprehensive, but overall I feel that the gauge lacks what most riders consider important information for daily or multi day rides and conversely the gauge constantly displays insignificant information needed for daily rides.

With such a large display it's too bad that Ski-Doo didn't give riders what they want most, and what will be most useful to them.

Many riders I know really want a built in GPS. If Polaris has one, why doesn't ski-doo? That would certainly be more useful than average fuel consumption.

I hope that the next gauge iteration will be an upgrade to this one.

COMMENTS

If anyone knows if there is a way to reset daily hour display, please let me know.

I'd love to hear what others think of the new "deluxe" gauge!

Thanks, and ride safely!

Carole
The fuel gauge also has twice the bars on it .

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent the afternoon playing on my lake, and trying multiple combinations on the gauge configuration. The best one that I found removes the extraneous information from the centre display, so I just have my speed in the middle, RPMs, gas (and hand warmers), Kms on the left, and standard engine temp (thumb warmer) and clock on the right.

I tried every which way from Sunday to reset the #hrs so that I can see #hrs in a daily ride, but had no luck doing so.

I didn't try that hard, but couldn't find the setting that dims the display.

At the end of the day I'm looking ahead where I'm riding more than I am at my dash, but come on ski-doo give us a little more of an "upgraded gauge" for what you're charging for these sleds, and don't call the gauge an upgrade if it does less than the previous gauge did.

My rant is done!

Happy New Year, and Happy Trails everyone!

Carole

·
Registered
9 Posts
  • In regards to the backlight brightness, here is what works on my machine:
    • Press and release "M" until you see "Settings"
    • Once you see "Settings" press and hold "M", once you see "Speed/Stat" release "M"
    • Press and release "M" until you see "Brightness"
    • Once you see "Birghtness" press and hold "M", once you see "Level xx" release "M"
    • Press and release "M" until you obtain the desired brightness
    • At this point you can just let the display timeout and return to the main menu.
  • Mine only has 9 brightness settings (-4 to 4). You will find videos from the spring launch that show 19 levels (-9 to 9).
  • If you look closely you can see what appears to be a light sensor in the center just below the gauge and above the indicator lights. I have played around shining lights at it, etc. and can't really see it change. If it does adjust automatically, it must do it fairly slowly.
  • This topic covers a few things you might find helpful: https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1574855-72-digital-display-tips/?p=23139857
  • I think we are all undwerwhelmed with the new gauge. For a company that makes automotive class engine controls and wiring harnesses and overall has a pretty well thought out product development program, I fail to understand why they consumed precious development resources on this thing. The only thing I can come up with is that they needed something new to support the turbo and weren't ready to release something that competes head to head with the Polaris PIDD.
  • I have the SHOT start which as best I can tell eliminates the clock feature.

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,070 Posts
I spent the afternoon playing on my lake, and trying multiple combinations on the gauge configuration. The best one that I found removes the extraneous information from the centre display, so I just have my speed in the middle, RPMs, gas (and hand warmers), Kms on the left, and standard engine temp (thumb warmer) and clock on the right.

I tried every which way from Sunday to reset the #hrs so that I can see #hrs in a daily ride, but had no luck doing so.

I didn't try that hard, but couldn't find the setting that dims the display.

At the end of the day I'm looking ahead where I'm riding more than I am at my dash, but come on ski-doo give us a little more of an "upgraded gauge" for what you're charging for these sleds, and don't call the gauge an upgrade if it does less than the previous gauge did.

My rant is done!

Happy New Year, and Happy Trails everyone!

Carole
I dont know if the 4stroke is different, but I have not had the update for trip B. I have Hours and Hours A. I can reset the Hours A. And I can scroll thru and get Gauge Brightness and have the 19 settings. I also like the lower section blank, too much going on. I installed the ambient temp module and it shows air temp in the right corner of lower center section. I agree its not much of an upgrade, but after 800 miles I like it, I may not get the trip B update done.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know if the 4stroke is different, but I have not had the update for trip B. I have Hours and Hours A. I can reset the Hours A. And I can scroll thru and get Gauge Brightness and have the 19 settings. I also like the lower section blank, too much going on. I installed the ambient temp module and it shows air temp in the right corner of lower center section. I agree its not much of an upgrade, but after 800 miles I like it, I may not get the trip B update done.
Thanks 900mac. I'm happy to hear that you have Hours and Hours A. For sure I only have one hour setting. I didn't know there was an ambient air temp module for the new gauge. We had them on our old gauges. It's not "important" information, but is a fun feature to have!

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,070 Posts
Thanks 900mac. I'm happy to hear that you have Hours and Hours A. For sure I only have one hour setting. I didn't know there was an ambient air temp module for the new gauge. We had them on our old gauges. It's not "important" information, but is a fun feature to have!
I think if I do the gauge update I trade off the Hour A for the Trip B. I can live with it either way, Same module as the older Gen4 gauge, I like until it says -30.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really dont understand not having a GPS option even if it's at additional cost. Its 2020 for Heavens sake.

Another thing I dont like is how the gauges are in a low point. Yesterday I couldn't even see my gauge because it was covered with snow from tree limbs after the last snow storm. It funnels right to the gauge on the G4.

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
I think the Polaris gauge is horrible. If you want a GPS you can actually see and tap on ect, you want a larger enough screen that sits closer to your hands.

I find the new gauges to be a nice upgrade from previous, better in every way IMO.

Are they perfect? NO. But I appreciate the ability to see AM/PM and not a military 24hr clock only, and also now we can swap from KM to Miles without taking to a dealer, Something we appreciate being many americans and canuks who ride together.

And who else does MPG? Not sure but I think only BRP. I find this very informative for comparison purposes to other DOOs and different clutch setups and soft/firm trails condition comparo's.

Slap a garmin GPS on your crash pad for incredible GPS ability, Love mine.

Dan

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
a lot of you guys wanted a new gauge, well here ya go. I have no problem with it other than the manual isn't accurate on how to navigate it.

·
Super Moderator
29,350 Posts
a lot of you guys wanted a new gauge, well here ya go. I have no problem with it other than the manual isn't accurate on how to navigate it.
I think a lot of guys wanted a new gauge that was better than the old one.

I don't own this gauge yet but from the outside looking in it seems like a lateral step at best. Who knows maybe I'd like it, but it's sure nothing that gets me excited about buying a new sled. :shrug

·
Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
I did a quick 500 mile jaunt last week-end, the new gauge is miles ahead of the old one. The trade for a reset-able hours to get trip B was a good one for most folks. I added outside temp and leave that displayed most of the time. I can get altitude on my GPS. I set the the brightness to +4 on mine and buddies, so far so good!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight as I have an 18 G4. I've already registered my thumbs down several times on the new gauge, but I will agree with Dan's comment on the crash pad (handlebar mounted) Garmin. Gives me lots of info and I love the access. And you can buy them cheap.

Reactions: rockerdan

·
Registered
77 Posts
'20 BC-XRS #102

I haven't had a chance to check my gauge out yet...I'm too scared of fouling plugs. I prefer to hover around it at arms length, with a feather duster, and contemplating if I can buy booties to slip over my boots to protect my shiny red running boards!

I like to think the engineers in white lab coats came down and gave #102 a thorough check over, and walked it though each stage of assembly.

I'll be happy with whatever the gauge does......but so help me, if it gets condensation build up, I'm gonna freak out.

Somebody here posted the Doo repair kit for this:....you get a freaking pack of silica to put inside! What's mind boggling, is that the debate was not the crazy solution, but rather how not to break the gauge putting it in!

Confession: I installed clear contact film along the tunnel/ running boards, to keep scuffing down. I'm surprised Doo doesn't sell that option as well. Sadly, I'd buy it.

Q. Arrius

1 - 20 of 59 Posts