Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Banshee Builder
2022 backcountryXRS 850
10,442 Posts
This has me wondering. Is this a huge house? I mean, 10k sq ft? My neighbor has a house with 3 Truck garage (can park 3 semi-trucks inside) and he put in floor heating through out. I asked him about the power requirements and he said it all runs on a 20 amp breaker. About 6 amps (7 amp start up) for the boiler and 3 amps per circulating pump, which he has 3. Two for the garage and 1 for the house.

His installation was cheap since that is what he does.

He did say it doesn't save him any money over normal garage style heaters, but it is nice because the floor is warm.
not a huge house maybe 2500sq ft. its a pretty large boiler system that was put in over 10 years ago. maybe they make them smaller and better on power now? mine is a closed loop fyi

·
Banshee Builder
2022 backcountryXRS 850
10,442 Posts
It sounds to me like he's doing his radiant in floor heat with a heat pump. Either water to water or air to water.
nope. i installed a ductless heat pump and dont run my in floor anymore. it is still installed in my house but very costly to run in my case.

·
Peanut Gallery
26,530 Posts
There are open loop systems. But may or may not meet local provincial or state building codes. A simplesearch will bring up lots of data.
The biggest cost is the heat source. Boiler or water heater. Most contractors will try to sell you a boiler with all the fancy controls to prevent the high temp water from damaging the system. Pricy

I went with a simple tankless water heater as it has built in controll to limit temp to 120-140c. And at less than 2k. It is capable of 200000btu but i bet it is only running at 50% when heating.

My opinion is regardless of radiant floor heat or not. You must insulate the floor. 10% heat loss to the ground. You wont regret it.
Therefor the cost to heat afterwards is
Tankless water heater-2000
Pex pipe depending on sf-1000
Pump-200
Expansion tank-50
Misc plumbing fittings-200
Glycol-100
Total 3550cdn

How much is a forced air unit?
Mine was free in the house garage. We cleaned out the shed at work and had to many temporary furnaces that where LP. We use more natural gas ones. So I saved it from the scrap pile

·
Peanut Gallery
26,530 Posts
water softener i kinda in the way of seeing the rest of system
60 amps is that a Electric Boiler ? I could see it being costly the run if your not on a off-peak power meter.

I got GEO thermal in my house runs on off peak power my electric bill isn't to bad. Just under $200 month. around .8-.9 cents a KWh normal power is around .14-16 cents And it runs all the time when its below 10 degrees out. Nice thing is we hardly burn any LP can get 2 years out of a 500 gallon tank.

That will change when I get the in floor fired up in the shed tho.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
60 amps is that a Electric Boiler ? I could see it being costly the run if your not on a off-peak power meter.

I got GEO thermal in my house runs on off peak power my electric bill isn't to bad. Just under $200 month. around .8-.9 cents a KWh normal power is around .14-16 cents And it runs all the time when its below 10 degrees out. Nice thing is we hardly burn any LP can get 2 years out of a 500 gallon tank.

That will change when I get the in floor fired up in the shed tho.
Same here. I have geothermal With off peak electric in my house and my 30x40 shop. I keep my shop 68f all winter and cost to heat it is not an issue. I just called to have my propane tank filled and the girl I talked to said the last time they filled my tank was in 2011.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
currently working on building a 30x48 pole barn, i had to put in a driveway and clear the lot of trees. I was quoted in the $90k'ish range to do all the work. I decided to roll up my sleeves, and i'm doing it all for around $20K.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Radiant floor heat runs on warm water......not hot water.

There are simple radiant systems out there built from a conventional water heater and dual calculator pumps.

It does not have to be elaborate & expensive.
That is how mine is done. Hot water supplied from the same water heater for the house. That is also why I stated long term cost for floor might be less than using natural gas constantly.

·
Peanut Gallery
26,530 Posts
currently working on building a 30x48 pole barn, i had to put in a driveway and clear the lot of trees. I was quoted in the $90k'ish range to do all the work. I decided to roll up my sleeves, and i'm doing it all for around $20K.
Check to R&R builders on Youtube they got some good videos if your building a pole barn yourself.

·
Peanut Gallery
26,530 Posts
So the same water that was circulating through your radiant floor tubing is coming out at your kitchen sink?
I think

1evil55-- Set up is a boiler that heats both domestic and heating water. The domestic side I believe is on demand water. And the heating side is a closed loop. Are one fitter does lot of them. I know mostly sheetmetal stuff.

·
Banshee Builder
2022 backcountryXRS 850
10,442 Posts
Put it on off peak and it won't be as bad or take it off the wall throw in the garbage and buy a gas boiler. it'd be lot cheaper to run
ive got heat pumps in house and garage now, im pretty satisfied with them. the in floor heat is pretty cozy in the winter but im honestly at the camp most of the winter so just need minimal heat runnng while im away

·
Registered
157 Posts
G-Doo13,

Nice shed!

I am in the planning stage for a shed similar to yours and live in central Minnesota. I noticed your Minnesota location. Where are you at and who built your shed? I'm looking for a builder to contact.

Thanks in advance!

·
Peanut Gallery
26,530 Posts
Nice shed!

I am in the planning stage for a shed similar to yours and live in central Minnesota. I noticed your Minnesota location. Where are you at and who built your shed? I'm looking for a builder to contact.

Thanks in advance!
Thanks.. That picture is the first spring before I did anything.

I live south of Hastings.

I contracted though Arrow Building Center (ABC Lumber) they got subs that build them. My crew came out of Sconny Hager City. I hired them to tin the ceiling in a few weeks.

Theres people around that do them just got to find them.

Where you live ?

Sky Building Plant Street light Cloud
This last fall. I didn't take to many pictures of it since I see it every day

Not sure why I'm sideways

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I had part of my shed collapse due to snow in March 2019. I had not checked with building centers yet, as I was told by one of the area contractors that it may have collapsed because it could have been a "lumber yard building", ...as they had seen a number of those fail in the area. I am not in the trades, so unfamiliar with all this. I contacted 3 area pole building companies last summer and they were all booked 6 months out into winter and had plenty of work due to all the collapsed sheds in the MN. One even told me they had so much work ahead of them in MN that they were picking & choosing jobs/ bypassing others for their 6 or 7 crews. Needless to say but I never even got a quote from them, even though they were very helpful. They said ballpark for 12 foot walls was $20/sqft for the shell, $30/sq insulated and lined, another $5/sq for concrete. I think demo and site prep were additional.

I live an hour west of the Cities, near Hutchinson. I will do some more checking.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts