Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with these 800's. I have an 05 800 Gade X with 3000 miles and not a problem. Bought a New Gade this year, not an X and 1300 miles and it blows. What the hell....I thought the 800 ptech's were doing good. The dealer say's they have 8 800's sitting in the shop with blown motors. I don't know what happened yet but it is going to be interesting.

Looks like it is finally time to buy a rice burner and get rid of the Ski DUDS.

·
Registered
544 Posts
SWeaverX said:
What is the deal with these 800's. I have an 05 800 Gade X with 3000 miles and not a problem. Bought a New Gade this year, not an X and 1300 miles and it blows. What the hell....I thought the 800 ptech's were doing good. The dealer say's they have 8 800's sitting in the shop with blown motors. I don't know what happened yet but it is going to be interesting.

[snapback]740123[/snapback]​
I'm mighty scared having read all these x-plode posts. I hardly want to use all the power. JC, how much wide open stuff you dooin?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I ran into a couple of guys riding this weekend that told me they are replacing the 800 PT's in droves....My dealer also told me they are doing the same. These motors are just plain unreliable!! To those that will bark back at what I just said with "my sled runs great and no problems yet...." I can only say you are most likely on borrowed time. I only hope your motor goes while it's under warranty so you can at least get a new one and hope it lasts a season before it frags. I thank DOO for the new motor I got....but, if you replace crap with crap, that doesn't make me feel any better. This is just plain [email protected]@@ed UP!!! I've got more than $11,000 U.S. in this thing and I'm just plain sick about the whole thing.

GSX800LTD said:
SWeaverX said:

I'm mighty scared having read all these x-plode posts. I hardly want to use all the power. JC, how much wide open stuff you dooin?
[snapback]740136[/snapback]​

·
Registered
108 Posts
SWeaverX said:

I just took delivery on one today. After reading some posts about PT 800s, I decided the get the extended warranty for (48 mo.). I had the same warranty on the 03' 800 and it saved me a lot of money.... Rings repaced, PTO seal replaced twiced and few other minor issues. If I have a lot of problems w/ this sled, I'll be moving on to another brand. I should not have to buy warranty to cover poor reliability.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigchaloopa said:
SWeaverX said:

I just took delivery on one today. After reading some posts about PT 800s, I decided the get the extended warranty for (48 mo.). I had the same warranty on the 03' 800 and it saved me a lot of money.... Rings repaced, PTO seal replaced twiced and few other minor issues. If I have a lot of problems w/ this sled, I'll be moving on to another brand. I should not have to buy warranty to cover poor reliability.
[snapback]740505[/snapback]​
Goog luck to all that have these 800's. I thought that the ptechs were better but I thought wrong once again. This was early in the morning and 10 miles from start of day trip. Lucky that we had a spare sled to finish up our ride. The bad thing was a guy on an 800 x blew up about a mile down from us. What a conversation that was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
what exactly is "blowing up"? Are they melting pistons? cold sieze? Are the rods makin bacon strips out of the block? crank bearings? I've heard of alot of these going down, but I've never heard what the failure is.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Busted rods and smeared pistons. Detination seems to be the leading cause due to running these to lean. BURP is trying to meet the 06 emission standards and the engs. cant take it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ripcord said:
Busted rods and smeared pistons. Detination seems to be the leading cause due to running these to lean. BURP is trying to meet the 06 emission standards and the engs. cant take it.

[snapback]742192[/snapback]​
Detination is the main problem in the 06's from what I have heard also. A few are cranks and boots. I don't have any news yet but will post when I get it. Still fuming though. My o4 800 ho x was just blown for the fourth time. The second and third time they just did the top end and it blew within 30 miles. Crank was the first and boots the second. Gotta love this quality. I just don't think I can make the switch. Picked up the 07 rice burner catalog when I dropped the sled off at the dealer. They just don't do it for me unless the ride is just as good as my gade's. But this engine deal is driving me nuts.

Anyone have any details on the Gade 1000 sdi and if they are holding up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
wotmode said:
what exactly is "blowing up"? Are they melting pistons? cold sieze? Are the rods makin bacon strips out of the block? crank bearings? I've heard of alot of these going down, but I've never heard what the failure is.
[snapback]742113[/snapback]​
MY '06 metled MAG side piston @ 2100km. and smeared the PTO side 1200 km. later. My buddies '06 also melted MAG side.

·
Registered
2022 Ski Doo Renegade XRS 900 TurboR
416 Posts
Anyone got a couple thousand miles with no meltdowns?

Ive got 1200mi on mine and it's been flawless, but now I'm gettin nervous reading this......

·
Ready for flight
2,505 Posts
Anyone have any details on the Gade 1000 sdi and if they are holding up?
[snapback]742446[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I have had problem's but there are some people out there not having any problems. I wish I had one of those sled's. I wonder what is different ,if anything with the 07 motor's. Someone said that the 07 MachZ has 8 more hp. Now how can they doo that and not make 1000 run right. I don't understand.
I think the next thing BRP needs to doo is build motors. I think the day of the rotax is nearing the end with the epa stuff. Does anybody make a after market BUDS type program from these sled's. I bet you could really make this 1000 sing if you could change some stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
there has been nermerous posts about the 800 in the past few weeks. And its not just those few people because once it was brought to the open there were tons and tons of ppl blowing up thier 800 PT's within 1500 miles. That and apparently there are many at dealers waiting to be replaced. Had a guy on HCS PM me about something unrelated to sleds and we got to talking about them anyway. He and his brother get new sleds every year and his brother has blown up 1 800 every year since 2002. He blew his first last year, he never said how many miles he had on it but how many can u put on a sled in a year even if you ride all the time.

I myself had a 2006 Ski Doo GSX LTD 800 on hold till yesterday. After reading all the posts about them blowing i thought twice. As much as i like the rev chasis i can't take the chance on having it be unrelaible so i started looking else where and figured the Apex ER was the next best thing so i switched the hold to a candy red apex er.

Still rider forward, reliable 4 stroke, fuel injected. It has its little quirksto like all sleds but their fixable. The only real downfall to the sled is the extra 50 pounds and not that many ppl seem to care because they claim it isnt noticeable on the trails, only in the light stuff.

I'm not bashing Doo it actually kinda bums me out to be honest because I was all set to just go get it today actually. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Looks like doo lost a sale due to doo's lack of reliability in their motor

I just want to thank everyoen who brought this into the open and posting it. At least it gives people like myself and other potential buyers the option to look else where before we learn the hard way if we dont want to gamble with reliability.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
3300 miles on mine and it blew up... Lower Rod bearing on Mag side went and wiped out the piston and Jug and Crank and broke the Case new motor going in this week, should have it back by Friday with another 2 year warantee on it as well. They are putting a 06' short block in my 05'

·
Registered
443 Posts
ditchbanger64 said:
Anyone got a couple thousand miles with no meltdowns?

Ive got 1200mi on mine and it's been flawless, but now I'm gettin nervous reading this......
[snapback]742593[/snapback]​
2300mls so far so good. I hear ya all this breakage has me a little
keep an eye on your Y-Pipe bolts mine came loose, but thats about it for trouble

·
Ready for flight
2,505 Posts
My 800 blew last year at the SkiDoo VIC ride. Manifold bolts came loose BRP rebuilt it under warrantty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Three 800 PT blown in our area, 1 pto side piton, looks like a ring failed, one PTO cracnk bearing, sled still ran but the crank is done, No iceoflex grease found in bearing Manufactureers defect. The other PT looks like it went down because it was lean, possible carb ice {don't no if the carb heat was one or off when the engine failed but it was on when it got to the dealer} All are 06 PT's

i have 1700 mile on my PT and a fellow I know has 3500. Both engine are un touchedand running strong, Knock wood. It seems that the 06's are having the bulk of the problems, up here any way.
At any rate 08 is my next purchase year so hopefully my gade will hold together, thinking of pulling the top end off this summer for a lokk and maybe a different set of pistons and rings but we'll see. That apex looks interesting and A/C is supposed to have an incredible new line for 07. In short we'll see who's building the best bang for your buck in 08 and go that way. As I read here once before screw brand loyalty go cutting edge

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
So far so good on mine, 2999.1km and still tickin!

tick tock tick tock BOOM!

·
Registered
321 Posts
06MXZXRenegade800 said:

[snapback]743249[/snapback]​
My dealer is installing as we speak my 5th new engine in my 06 800 X (short block) PTO lean burn down. The last 4 engines this season had reed boot failures causing lean condition burndowns. I have 4500 miles so far. They put together a new motor for me last Thursday, I drove 500 miles to Canada rode 600 miles and that engine failed on the trail 65 miles from the truck at -30 degree F. I was lucky to get towed in by some other Rev. owners-Scary cold.
My 05 800 X failed 3 engines last year, I have not ridden it this year, pulled the reed blocks last week they are broken this would have been engine # 4 on this sled if I would have ridden it.
8 engines so far in two seasons.ALL STOCK!
BRP rep told me after engine replacement #3 "GOOD LUCK"
Great Chassis-CRAP MOTORS.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Badexample1 said:
06MXZXRenegade800 said:

[snapback]743249[/snapback]​
My dealer is installing as we speak my 5th new engine in my 06 800 X (short block) PTO lean burn down. The last 4 engines this season had reed boot failures causing lean condition burndowns. I have 4500 miles so far. They put together a new motor for me last Thursday, I drove 500 miles to Canada rode 600 miles and that engine failed on the trail 65 miles from the truck at -30 degree F. I was lucky to get towed in by some other Rev. owners-Scary cold.
My 05 800 X failed 3 engines last year, I have not ridden it this year, pulled the reed blocks last week they are broken this would have been engine # 4 on this sled if I would have ridden it.
8 engines so far in two seasons.ALL STOCK!
BRP rep told me after engine replacement #3 "GOOD LUCK"
Great Chassis-CRAP MOTORS.

Exactly what they said on the 04 800 after number 3. I just don't understand this at all. We were in Munising the weekend of Jan 21'st and that was the Ski Doo media weekend and we saw all the reps and mags people at Foggys eating dinner. We finally got to talk with some guys from doo and the sat there and said they have no problems or issues with engine quality. One guy I was with had just switched from an 800 to the MAch and was getting "edit for bad language" at them. They just don't get it. Its sad what it is going to take to get them to change. Look it is basically four years now they have had these problems and they don't care.

[snapback]743298[/snapback]​

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Would be interesting to see the actual warranty numbers that Doo is seeing on these motors.

After the first burn down with bad boots....I would have spent the $250 and got the V3's just so I didn't have to worry about it again.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.