Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up riding in aroostock county maine and stopped by fort kent ski-doo dealer. They said they went to valcour (sp?) and saw the new freestyle. It has the new outlander 800 in it. he said it puts out 62hp. have been away so dont know if its been posted. riding was great u the way!

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
therealsnowdog said:
T said:
ugh, why would they do that to a freestyle? they are fine with the single.
[snapback]731659[/snapback]​
The 300 single will not pass future emissions standards.

Thats pretty lame since yamaha is making 80HP with a 500.
The Freestyle shouldn't cost 7 grand either.
[snapback]731755[/snapback]​
Yea, 7g's for 80hp I dont think it's really worht it IMOA, but it is pretty impressive that they can get 80 ponies out of a 500.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
therealsnowdog said:
T said:
ugh, why would they do that to a freestyle? they are fine with the single.
[snapback]731659[/snapback]​
The 300 single will not pass future emissions standards.

Thats pretty lame since yamaha is making 80HP with a 500.
The Freestyle shouldn't cost 7 grand either.
[snapback]731755[/snapback]​
I understand that it wont make emmissions, but I personally think it shouldnt have an 800 in it. Why not use the 400 from the outlander?

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Well, so much for light weight performance and handling.
I bet it weighs over 100 pounds more right on the front skis. No wonder it has beefier front springs -- needs them. Has skidoo given up on two strokes -- I mean, if the 300 single can't meet future emission standards with the best gas milage of the bunch, then what 2-stroke will be able to?

The quiet motor and smoothness of the 4 stroke would be nice, but the weight gain of a 2 cylindar 4-stroke is not tolerable -- if a 4-stroke, why not a 4 stroke single of dirt bike origin to keep the weight down a bit?

One of the best skidoos ever made weighed 249 pounds in 1971 - you could get it unstuck with one hand. Machines just keep getting heavier. Two stroke motors could be quiet -- ever heard a two stroke trials motorcycle -- very quiet and they weigh around 180 pounds?

Anyway, hopefully as we move into the future with 4-strokes (I have always owned 4-stroke dirt bikes), the single cylindar lighter motor will still be an option -- there are several light single cylindar 4-stroke dirt bike motors putting about the same HP as the 268cc FreeStyle single -- not as light, but lighter than a twin. Hum -- I wonder how much my Honda XR650L single cyl. 4 stroke motor would weigh without the gearbox? Now there is a single with some torque!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.