Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this site and picking up my 500ss today
. Traded in 04 sabercat.
Can anyone tell me anything i need to know about this sled(in addition to what dealer told me) IE, breakin tips, things to look out for, ect. Im not new to snowmobiling, Just new to the ski doo and the rev platform. Thanks for the info...

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
Ure gonna be in for the time of your life, and hold on shes a pretty snotty sled as well. Ure gonna love it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Enjoy your new sled and Welcome to this site . Your going to wonder what took you so long to make the switch.. I love my 500ss

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had a chance to ride a 500SS this weekend that a friend of mine had...WOW! That old 600cc motor still is strong. 100mph accross the lake with no problems...it's a nice machine. Congrats and have fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had mine for about 2 months, have put on over a 1000 miles, and have had no problems at all. The 500ss is a great sled/motor, with phenomenal power and awesome fuel economy. I have already seen just over 20 mpg on mine. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You're going to love the ss. It's really strong and very good on gas. I'm seeing 21-23 mpg (imperial gallons). As for break in, like any other machine vary engine speeds but don't be too gentle on it. As for things to look out for ... not much. It may take a little time to get the suspension dialed in ... I've had to spend a little time on adjusting the weight on the front skis (adjusting the fron spring of the rear skid) and I'm still trying to iron out the inside ski lift on hard cornering. Other than that give 'er!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Welcome to the other side.
Oh and did you notice the time of my post, I'm still on coffee break>
We are going to need some pic's after you go get it. Make sure you place a shoe on the seat so we know it's your's
(I'll explain later)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I just picked up a GSX 500SS. You will love your machine. I suggest putting on a pair of ski-doo's flex skis (single keel). the precisions darted dangerously on icy roads and hard packed roads. also, keep an eye on your coolant, i had a bit of a leak and think it was from the cap. i've heard a few guys had the same small leak at first.

You're gonna love your machine, the ride is amazing.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Great choice. I have 400 miles on mine and am loving every minute of it. I agree that you have to dial in the suspension as mine seemed to soften a little and I have a little ski lift. Other than that the powerplant is great. Very fast out of the gate. Skidoo has put a chip in to retard the timing for a break in period, but that will burn up on its own and then WOW. Enjoy it.
Nut

·
Registered
426 Posts
Skidoo has put a chip in to retard the timing for a break in period, but that will burn up on its own and then WOW.

Things I did not know.... When does the chip burn out?

I'll tell you, the 500SS just rocks. I was talking with pasnownut regarding selling my spring check due to some b!tch that d!cked me on a real estate transaction. I have to thank pasnownut for not purchasing mine! The suspension just sucks up the bumps and is waiting for more (I did bottom mine out last weekend, ouch...). I came off a 700 and was worried about the power, forget about it. This 500SS is snoty and quick.

Great choice, now let's see the pick!

-Jim

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i just dropped my gsx 500 ss for it;s 300 mile check up and i can;t beleive how much i love it . i baught a 04 rev 600 ho last year and like that as well but this sled just feels alot more comfortable. and regarding the coolant leeking i had the same problem but will be taken care of (nothing to worry about just have them take care of it on your first checkup .

·
Registered
69 Posts
1DOOSKI said:
Im new to this site and picking up my 500ss today
. Traded in 04 sabercat.
Can anyone tell me anything i need to know about this sled(in addition to what dealer told me) IE, breakin tips, things to look out for, ect. Im not new to snowmobiling, Just new to the ski doo and the rev platform. Thanks for the info...
[snapback]282133[/snapback]​
i switched from cats to skidoo 05 renegade all i can say is WOW

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Osceola, I'm glad I was able to help
. Hoping to get up to "the Hill" yet this season. If so, I'd like to hook up and do some riding if poss. I'll email you if the plans come together.
Nut

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the optimism. I put a whole 4 tennths of a mile on her today lol. took it off the trailer and spun around the yard and into the garage to let it warm up so stickers will stick. I got the red and black.
My sabercat was red and black also. dont see as many around.

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
Jim your chip will burn out after 3 hrs of use.

I noticed mine a bit. When i first bought mine last yr, i was drag racing it with 80 miles on it, i was draggin a guy with a ZL 600 ss. He would bareley beat me and he had clutch work done to it. 300 miles later he would be gettin me out of the hole on ice cause he had studs and i would catch up to him and pass him with ease in 600ft. Now with the additon to 144 studs, tpi lowboys, and a J&t silencer shes almost unstoppable agains all 600's.

Best
Blake

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had the shop pick it with 96 up the center before I picked it up. The Woody's they had on the incentive programs. Not to bad, $1 stud total around $200 (labor/tunnel protector/etc...). I'm glad I had it studded for that cement truck cornering in the powder. I usually will tap the brake, get a little sideways slide and then hammer it through the corner.

pas... just drop me a PM when your headed up that way. I'll be going up the first weekend in February with the wife for some riding. The wife's a little slow, I mean on the sled. But maybe we can hook up another time, when is that Doo Talk ride???

Three hours and the chip is burnt? Huh... Never noticed a difference, up around 400 miles my own self!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No problem Osceola. If she's cute, I'll follow you both all weekend.
Have fun all the same and I'll let you know what's going on as it comes together.
Nut

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
U wont notice a difference really but, if u had to be timed in a 1000ft drag run u would notice the before and after result, or if u ran a sled that was already broke in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts