Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all YK riders !!!!!!!

I heard through a few fellow riders (and apparently there's an ad in today's paper) that a meeting is scheduled for Tues. Jan.18th, 7:30pm at Northern United Place auditorium to discuss starting a new Snowmobile Club here in Yellowknife.

Don't know what happened to Great Slave club...maybe someone else does ??
I thought someone was doing all this trail maintenance, but I know of some that need work.

Groomers...what are groomers ??? Up here, we call those "Yammies"....heh heh

Anyway, apparently the focus of this new club will be family events, trail rides, safety and responsibility promotion.

No Cat riders allowed ! (jus' kiddin')

Come on out everyone, could be pretty cool.....

Maybe we should think of a good name beforehand..?? Allan ???
Put your thinkin' caps on everyone

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
SWEET! This town needs a club, and with so many riders people need to be informed of this opportunity.

A name for the club...that's a tough one...anyone on the board want to help think of some names even if you aren't from Yellowknife?

YK Snowbirds?

I'll be at that meeting.

·
E-Tec Rules
33,562 Posts

YK riders?

yellowknief snow club?

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so far we have a few good candidates;

Capital City Crosscountry Riders or just Capital Crosscountry Riders ?
(Yellowknife is the capital of NWT)

Ingraham Trailriders Assn. Group ? Club ?
(Ingraham Trail is a very popular all-season recreation corridor that runs 50 miles along highway NE of city, packed with hundreds of lakes and countless miles of trails)

my fav so far is Diamond City Ditchbangers, but I know it won't be popular with very many next week at the meeting.
(Yellowknife is nicknamed the Diamond City because we have several diamond mines here)

Hey Allan we could just call it the Tundra Trailriders and keep it really simple...

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Tundra Trailriders...I like.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Tundra Trailblazers ,you guys seem to bust through all that snow up there all the time! Ha Ha

Yellowknife Pirates (the other days post) abanded mines!
Rich

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Nice! lol

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
How many people live in YK? What does everyone do for a living? I ask because.... it's in the middle of nowhere! How do you get supplies in the winter? Dang would love to visit someday that's for sure.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JBlavl said:
How many people live in YK? What does everyone do for a living? I ask because.... it's in the middle of nowhere! How do you get supplies in the winter? Dang would love to visit someday that's for sure.
[snapback]264224[/snapback]​

Hey Jblavl, it's a funny place, like someone plunked a small city in the middle of nowhere. Lots of government here, big box stores, bars, etc.
19,000 souls, one road out of town that goes south to Alberta.
We have regular jobs, some of us work at the TV/Radio station, some are pharmacists, some work in diamond mine, some are doctors, some collect a paycheque from the govt. (non-worker types)..lol They're the full-time sledheads... We're like your state capitals...but only 45,000 people live in the NWT......huge state with few roads and MEGA trails.
and we live in igloos...with wireless hispeed internet and satellite TV

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JBlavl said:
[snapback]264224[/snapback]​
I forgot to answer your question about supplies. Most food comes in via trucks like everywhere else, but there's the MacKenzie River about 4 hrs. south of us, in the summer there's a free ferry that everything travels back and forth on.
Right now the river is frozen, so they build an ice road across and everyone drives across the river.
It gets really interesting in the spring when breakup occurs, we don't get supplies for a while, or they chopper food over the river..
Maybe we'll get down there in the spring and take pics to post for everyone to see.
Ice chunks the size of houses going downriver....

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
papasled said:
and we live in igloos...with wireless hispeed internet and satellite TV

[snapback]264254[/snapback]​

My igloo fricken melted on the PTO side yesterday cause the exhaust was too hot. Sled talk for the chimney melted the side of the igloo.

So me and Frank the Polar Bear chewed the sh&% over whether or not this trail club will fly. He said if anyone tries doing open water over his bathing hole he's going to eat someone's seat.

Don't want to get on Frank's bad side I guess.

·
The 2nd most interesting man in the world
2,936 Posts
I always thought it was gold mines in Yellowknife , and throwing pans of water in the air to watch it freeze before it hit the ground , was all the entertainment .
I want to drive a truck on that lake highway you guys have , gotta love white knuckle driving . Good Luck w/ your new club ! Diamond Town Driftbusters ? Yellowknife its good to see the biggest problem you are having this year w/ snowmobiles is naming a club . Happy Trails !!

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Wow that's craaaaazzzzzyyyyyyy. How many months a year do you guys get to ride? Any hot chicks up there? What's the tourism industry like, I'm interested. I'll come up and dig some big diamonds to pay for the trip!

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
big windy mxz said:
I always thought it was gold mines in Yellowknife , and throwing pans of water in the air to watch it freeze before it hit the ground , was all the entertainment .
I want to drive a truck on that lake highway you guys have , gotta love white knuckle driving . Good Luck w/ your new club ! Diamond Town Driftbusters ? Yellowknife its good to see the biggest problem you are having this year w/ snowmobiles is naming a club . Happy Trails !!
[snapback]264627[/snapback]​
Yeah, we still have gold mines, but most of them have shut down. I haven't done the water in the air trick...but at -36 right now, it would likely work. I'm glad my sled works too. lol

JBlavl said:
Wow that's craaaaazzzzzyyyyyyy. How many months a year do you guys get to ride? Any hot chicks up there? What's the tourism industry like, I'm interested. I'll come up and dig some big diamonds to pay for the trip!
[snapback]265055[/snapback]​
We ride 5 to 6 months a year. There are plenty of hotties, especially around my age (23) hehehe. The tourism industry is booming here like everything else.

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Perhaps I will fly up over Christmas next year and go riding. How much do sleds rent for? A better question is, do planes come in during the winter haha. -36 mmmmm Wish we could trade a little of this tropical air with you guys and gals.

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Sleds & Rent don't go together up here...nobody rents anything up here except cars. We should be able to figure something out though. Planes come in year round lol

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JBlavl said:
Perhaps I will fly up over Christmas next year and go riding. How much do sleds rent for? A better question is, do planes come in during the winter haha. -36 mmmmm Wish we could trade a little of this tropical air with you guys and gals.
[snapback]265586[/snapback]​
A lot of people come up for hunting and fishing, there's a million lodges around here, too.
There ARE some rental sleds that I know of, (military keeps a large fleet of touring sleds, and you just have to 'know' someone)
I've heard the local 'Doo shop demos new sleds...in fact I know it's true, that's how I got mine.

fresh snow coming again tonight or tomorrow.....
!!!!!!!!

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Military eh? Randy's got the connections. Excellent. Ghost wants to come up as well maybe - you guys should do a double trip.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts