Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just picked up my brand new trailer and im stoked! What are u guys doing to protect the underneath from possible rust in the long run? This is an all aluminum trailer.
Is it a safe bet just to power wash the underside good every few trips?
Or should i use a product like fluid film once a season?
Any input will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've got a 1996 flow trailer with a bearcat clamshell. Lots and lots of Michigan salty use all winter long and never did anything to the underside and it's still just fine. I may rinse it once or twice during the winter.Did have to replace the axle 4 years ago due to rust.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
If you have a steel axle, You might consider painting your axle with something like POR 15 to really stop corrosion. I clean mine at the end of the season with a pressure washer & attachment that rolls under the trailer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It’s aluminum? What am I missing. I don’t wash or undercoat any of my aluminum trailers and they are fine even decades later…it’s aluminum not steel!

Reactions: DOOLIFE800

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’ve been using NHOU and I am very satisfied with it. I heat it up in a pot on a hot plate before I load it in the gun for spraying. Flows and lays out great. Does not drip at all like some of the other mineral oil based coatings.

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
I’ve been using NHOU and I am very satisfied with it. I heat it up in a pot on a hot plate before I load it in the gun for spraying. Flows and lays out great. Does not drip at all like some of the other mineral oil based coatings.
That’s what I like about Fluid Film, too…no drip. Sprays out of the gun nice, too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s what I like about Fluid Film, too…no drip. Sprays out of the gun nice, too.
So i ended up just getting a spray can of fluid film and crawing on my back under the trailer and sprayed the entire axle and leaf springs. Hopefully that prevents future rusting.

Is this something i should be doing once a season?

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
So i ended up just getting a spray can of fluid film and crawing on my back under the trailer and sprayed the entire axle and leaf springs. Hopefully that prevents future rusting.

Is this something i should be doing once a season?
I think that depends on a few variables, don’t you?

What condition was your axle in before?
How thick did you apply it?
How many miles do you drive per year?
How often do you rinse the underside of your trailer?
How do you rinse the underside of your trailer?
What type of conditions do you travel in?
Etc
Etc

See where I’m going with this? Nobody can answer that question but you.
One time is better than no time, in any case.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that depends on a few variables, don’t you?

What condition was your axle in before?
How thick did you apply it?
How many miles do you drive per year?
How often do you rinse the underside of your trailer?
How do you rinse the underside of your trailer?
What type of conditions do you travel in?
Etc
Etc

See where I’m going with this? Nobody can answer that question but you.
One time is better than no time, in any case.
Trailer is brand new. Just drove it home from the dealer and never used it yet. I am just doing what i can to prepare it and treat it right.

So yes i just sprayed the entire axle, and my question is should i be doing this more then once a season? I plan on power washing the underneath of the trailer but i will avoid the axle so i dont just waste the fluid film.

I will be going about 500 miles every week

1 - 13 of 13 Posts