Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is the 4-stroke forum but I was curious what some of you think of that new E-tec 850 BRP introduced. There's a good read here about the changes/improvements to the 17s.

http://sleddermag.com/ski-doo-2017-lineup/

A 40% increase in range per liter of oil? That's kind of nuts, no?

If the mods want to move this, that's fine, I just thought there'd be some more thoughtful responses in this forum given the knowledge and maturity here...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Id be the last person to sign up for a 2 smoke anything...but if anyone can make it happen my moneys on doo. Im hoping it does do well....first year of anything is touchy IMO. But Defin some new technology going on in the yellow camp...... I givem kudos.

Gotta luv the 4 stroke technology introduced into their new 2 stroke design. lol

On the maturity thing...............Good luck.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
One word. Awesome. Doo raised the bar. Lots of new high tech there. If it does all that is suggested I see absolutely no need for any 4s if your a performance rider.. I really like the new look....I never was a fan of xs or xm plastic. I think the new plastic looks a boxier like the xr, which I like. Love the retro strip nose piece. Imagine a new 1200 ho with that g4 plastic and new clutch?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
It all sounds and looks good ... hopefully BRP finally has it together reliability wise with their 2-stroke flagship but I really think anything larger than 700 cc and 150+ hp you need 3 or more cylinders to keep things more balanced and together for the long run. Sure if $$ is no object anything can be made bullet proof but the cost also has to be low enough so people buy them. If they are so confident the 850 will be more reliable than the previous 800's they should increase the warranty not reduce it ... I'm by no means an expert, that's just my 2 cents ...

G

·
Im ordering one. The 1200 turbo is just too temperamental and stock it is just too slow for the lakes and riding I do.

The last 6 years on the turbo has been fun but I;m getting too old to be constantly tuning the dang thing.

Someone going to get a deal.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Randy...... I can already hear the cursing! Lol

G

·
Randy...... I can already hear the cursing! Lol
James,

I think Dino sold me a lemon.Emission testing may have been several hrs. Less than 100 miles and the tach signal is lost and some noise coming from stator. I have been working trying to get engine out all day. It never gets any easier. Vibrated my clutch bolt loose too. cursing is putting it mildly. lol

·
ride hard or die trying
7,800 Posts
James,
I think Dino sold me a lemon.Emission testing may have been several hrs. Less than 100 miles and the tach signal is lost and some noise coming from stator. I have been working trying to get engine out all day. It never gets any easier. Vibrated my clutch bolt loose too. cursing is putting it mildly. lol
I'm in the same boat to. I've been boosted since 2010 and wondering if it's time to give it up.

Really thinking of trying to trade my turbo stuff for NA bolt ons, head and TB

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
James,

Wow that sucks.....I`m always Leary of "create motors"

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm in the same boat to. I've been boosted since 2010 and wondering if it's time to give it up.

Really thinking of trying to trade my turbo stuff for NA bolt ons, head and TB
You are better off... you can get 160+hp .... runs on 87 octane and is as reliable as stock.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It all sounds and looks good ... hopefully BRP finally has it together reliability wise with their 2-stroke flagship but I really think anything larger than 700 cc and 150+ hp you need 3 or more cylinders to keep things more balanced and together for the long run. Sure if $$ is no object anything can be made bullet proof but the cost also has to be low enough so people buy them. If they are so confident the 850 will be more reliable than the previous 800's they should increase the warranty not reduce it ... I'm by no means an expert, that's just my 2 cents ...
I agree... have ever noticed the cap on 2 strokes twins seems to be 600 cc`s.. 600 or smaller seem to run much longer then bigger 2 strokes. everything over 600 cc`s seem to saw them selves in half around 5000 miles and 600 seem to go 10,000 miles...

·
ride hard or die trying
7,800 Posts
I agree... have ever noticed the cap on 2 strokes twins seems to be 600 cc`s.. 600 or smaller seem to run much longer then bigger 2 strokes. everything over 600 cc`s seem to saw them selves in half around 5000 miles and 600 seem to go 10,000 miles...
I'm going to get a lot of flake for this but my buddy 700cc twin cat runs as strong as day 1 with 13000+ km on it.... It uses a ton of fuel and oil but I think that's what makes them last

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm going to get a lot of flake for this but my buddy 700cc twin cat runs as strong as day 1 with 13000+ km on it.... It uses a ton of fuel and oil but I think that's what makes them last
he got a diamond in the rough.... good for him. it is not the norm though....

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think if they solved the reliability issues, they have a diamond for a sled!

I dont know about the looks, for me the looks always come last, and I still am stuck on the zx and s chassis looks, hell maybe even older ones haha.

I hope the 850 turns out well, i wouldnt mind adding a higher hp 2 stroke to the stable.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts