Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Ski-Doo and I will be picking her up next week. Great deals out their on the '06's
I want to make sure I break it in perfectly.
Should I not use the synthetic initially ( for proper ring set)
What oil is recommended after break in? Amsoil or ?
Thanks for any info.

G

·
WISGTX said:
This is my first Ski-Doo and I will be picking her up next week. Great deals out their on the '06's
Thanks for any info.
[snapback]697387[/snapback]​
Usually they come filled up with mineral oil.After that I changed to shell advance synthetic and haven`t looked back.

·
Registered
166 Posts
WISGTX said:
Thanks for any info.
[snapback]697387[/snapback]​
I think for break in make sure it is warmed up and just short half throttle bursts also if you do hit full throttle dont hold it there for long and I think thats about it.Correct me if im wrong but I think thats it

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
you do NOTHING special durring breaking except no long WOT runs. othewise just ride it like you normally would!

stick with doo oil during the warranty period. should you have a motor problem it CANNOT be blamed on oil, after warranty is up, use what ever you want... not sure why you would want to change though there is no beter oil for a doo than doo oil

·
Registered
934 Posts
Pretty much what you have read here. My dealer recommended to stick with the Ski-doo Semi Synthetic oil.

Only other thing I did the first 100 miles or so is tweak the rear spring settings and front shock adjustment to get it to turn and ride the way I like.

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
687 Posts
My dealer gave me a bottle of break in oil to mix with the first tank of gas. Smokes like crazy. I have also experienced a lean spot with detonation between 5 and 6000RPMs so becareful around that RPM! My dealer wants me to run fresh gas and I am going to add some dry gas if it still does it I will either have him tweak it of possibly move the needle.

I think when the mineral oil is gone I will move to Semi-syn. BG

Good luck you will love the sled. I took my daughter for an 85 mile ride last week and it was great! Are you going to ride younger kids? They can't reach the footrests and you will need to get something to raise the hieght of the footrest. I make some and a few other have posted ideas.

Again good luck and have fun.

Copy_of_000_1087.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
WISGTX,

If you need a Ski-Doo cover, I have a brand new 'Expedition" Ski-doo cover for sale that fits a GTX (or Expedition Sport) (part #280000135)...I bought myself another cover and don't need 2 covers...

It was used only to cover my sled in a closed garage so it is not even dirty...it has straps for trailering and a soft liner for the windshield area...it is black with yellow/white 'ski-doo lettering on side...

Retails for $215 Canadian....will sell for $150 Canadian ....

PM me if you are interested....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info! I'll run some xtra oil with the gas for the first tank or two. For now I will stick with the Doo oil until the warranty is up and then go to Amsoil or Blue Marble. Read enough positives about those oils here and on the TY site.
Can't wait to try her out.

SD440zx, You mentioned "dry gas". Is this just isopropyl alcohol ( like the Walgreens 71 or 91% stuff)?
How much should I run in the tank?
Regarding the height of the foot rests. I will be picking the sled up up this week and will have my 8 yr old see if he can reach. If not I will contact you about the risers. Thanks.

Frostyy, Thank you for the offer. But I only trailer in an enclosed trailer and the sled will be in a heated garage when home. I just cover the sleds with old blankets to keep the dust off.

Anybody know an Arctic Cat guy that would be interested in a 2001 Pantera 1000?..I need to sell it to help pay for the GTX

Thanks again guys. You really know how to make a newbie feel wlecome!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
You will love it!! I just was up north and put on 265 miles and it rode perfect. No darting at all (with the Bergstrom shims and triple carbides). We would have put on more miles but a sled in our group broke down. Three hours wasted. Still had fun! I use Doo mineral oil don't know why I would change. Buy it from bulk less expensive that way. And yes I put in half to 3/4 bottle of Isopropyl in every tank. Rather be safe than sorry. The bottle says one bottle to 10 gallons of gas. Enjoy!!!!

·
RAIN IS NOT AN OPTION!
687 Posts
WISGTX said:
Thanks for all the info! I'll run some xtra oil with the gas for the first tank or two. For now I will stick with the Doo oil until the warranty is up and then go to Amsoil or Blue Marble. Read enough positives about those oils here and on the TY site.
Can't wait to try her out.

SD440zx, You mentioned "dry gas". Is this just isopropyl alcohol ( like the Walgreens 71 or 91% stuff)?
How much should I run in the tank?
Regarding the height of the foot rests. I will be picking the sled up up this week and will have my 8 yr old see if he can reach. If not I will contact you about the risers. Thanks.

Frostyy, Thank you for the offer. But I only trailer in an enclosed trailer and the sled will be in a heated garage when home. I just cover the sleds with old blankets to keep the dust off.

Anybody know an Arctic Cat guy that would be interested in a 2001 Pantera 1000?..I need to sell it to help pay for the GTX

WISGTX,

Yup the dry gas I can get you can get where ever just be sure it is isopropal and follow the directions as to how much to use. If you use fuel that has 10% ethonal in it you won't need it as much.

The 8 year old should love it! Have fun and be safe!

Thanks again guys. You really know how to make a newbie feel wlecome!

[snapback]698507[/snapback]​

1 - 10 of 10 Posts