Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to tune SLP performace edition package (head/pipe/porting/reeds) in my 2003 800 rev (ho ported cylinders). My current needle is the 07-58 and SLP recommendation is 13-58. What needle is leaner? I am horribly rich currently but am still running the 470 mains at 1000ft so will likely drop to 450. 3/4 throttle gives me more rpm than full throttle. Again what needle is leaner of these two please and thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I been fighting the same battle u are with the same setup this past week. Right now I have the stock 03 needles, can't remember the number off hand but shimmed .20. I have 390 mains in it and 17.5 pilots at 1 3/4 turns out on air screw. I have egt's and there at 1050* when I tested it today. I do NOT have Dpm as I eliminated it.

·
Premium Member
27,904 Posts
EGTs show Exhaust Gas Temperature and is great for what it's meant to do. For Air/Fuel, use an Air/Fuel Gauge.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Stock mains on the 03 are 380s. When you're riding in warmer weather you can jet down to 370 or 360 if the temp is above freezing. I'm not sure what the slp calls for with jetting but in a stock 03 at sea level those 470s and 450s would be way too rich!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With their performance kit SLP instructions recommend 470 mains at sea level down to -40c/f. 450 mains down to -29c at sea level I believe. I will drop down to 450's and see where I'm at mid and top. I cant get over low 7000's with the 470's.
Regarding the needles above. From what I can gather from reading they are the same profile but the 13-58 is the adjustable summit needle while the 07-58 is fixed and needs shim. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
A few posters mention the 9DGI07-58 being too rich for their ported sleds and changing to the 2006 800 needle J8-9egi04-58? Which is see was updated to a 05-58 in 2007? Any info on the difference between them? Is the EGI leaner that the DGI?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yenkm68...you also have the SLP performace package with porting/pipe/head/reeds, etc? And you are running 390's? What is your elevation?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep. I got the hole kit. I'm running sea level domes here in northern Illinois. It's all on an 03 also. I been on the phone with slp 10 times in the last cupple weeks trying if get it to run like it should. There specs suck and arnt even in the ball park on the mains. 400's are "safe" but it didn't spend the money on it to be "safe" and leave extra hp on the table

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow...I can't believe you are down as low as 390 now at near sea level!! I used their chart and went very safe at sea level and -40 which is 470. According to their chart the lowest I should go with my elevation and riding temperature is 440. I am at 800 ft +/- and running the 0-3000 domes as well (12-370 part number at 13.1). What air temperatures have you been running in? I can't see me realistically riding it below -5f.
- What squish should we be targeting? Need to know what base gasket.
- What did you think of their added lower port job? Interesting.
- I can tell it pulls harder already even with the loss of rpm and terribly rich. I was pulling away from the same srx 700 in the mid range Saturday that I could not last year. I think this kit will work well once tuned.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was at bout 30* Saturday when I tested that setup. Honestly I'm not very impressed with it. Mainly for the fact that there customer service Is terrible and none seems to know anything there. To me that huge when your selling stuff like this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel your pain but I still think there is very good performance potential in this kit. Let's work the bugs out. I will be rejetting later this week and update. Keep me in the loop on how you are making out. Two 2003s at the same elevation just putting in the same kit at the same time is a handy thing! Good luck!
Ps...there is not limp mode on the 2003 mxz 800 right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts