Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 formula 600 this thing starts up first pull everytime from a cold start. Drives awesome. Idles for about 15-20mins then hit the trail about 5-7 mins later the engine stalls but very abroubtly. Driving condition is light on the throttle low rpms. It doesnt get boggy or anything more like the motor locks up. When u try to pull start it the motor is very very tight but losens up after about 3 pulls then it will fire up and do it all again. I havent done much looking into yet but looking on ideas on what to check first. Is it hydrolocking? Im hoping its not bearings but do those make any weird noise when motor is running? It runs very smooth when its running thanks for any help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If the clutch was stuck engaged at low rpms when it should disengage would it cause the sled to lock the motor?

·
Mr Top Whore
103,136 Posts
How many miles on the sled? Have you done a compression test on the motor? How long have you had this sled and did it just start doing this?

You may be better off posting in the MachZ Formula triple section......here is a link to that section, might get better responses from the guys who know these triple motors well.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/forum/45-mach-z-mach-1-formula-iii-triples/

Welcome to Dootalk!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot i appreciate that. 6700 on odometer this was my 2nd time taking it out and i havnt tested it by the time i got it dragged home cause i was worried about potential motor damage it was -20 and dropping so gonna look more into it tommorrow. Anyways thanks again for the link i will try there

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
Famous for outer pto bearing coming apart. Can act like a sprague clutch and lock the motor. Try grabbing the clutch and rolling it backwards. Listen at the pto end with a mechanics stethoscope, you may hear the ball bearing still spinning after you shut the motor down.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Sounds just like my 97 triple 7 Center crank bearing. Could be other things but like said, when it happens, turn the primary by hand. If it's crank bearings you're gonna' feel it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts