Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a very happy Polaris 600 HO owner. While in the UP I got to have a short ride on a Rev. I am short so it fit like a glove. My fusion is somewhat rider foward and greatly improved over the past but does not compare to the rev. I would like to get a rev, but every website and foroum I go to I hind people talking about expensive motor problems. I put a lot of miles on and try to get two years out of a sled before I trade. I have concerns about committing to a rev after having many years of very dependable polaris motors.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have an 05 MXZX 600 SDI and absolutely love it. I have 2000 miles on it and haven't had any problems at all. Guys with broke sleds make a lot more noise than the guys that are still out riding. My sled is always the most reliable out of the group. I know that there were some problems, but I have only read about them too. I wouldn't hesitate. I came over from polaris too and I love this thing. No regrets.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i too am new to the rev and coming off yamaha had somw concerns about the problems but now have 3000 km of trouble free miles. the only thing i have had is busted belts and a couple of temp issues in poor conditions. i am tall 6'3 and love the riding position and the quality of the ride. u won't be sorry if u make the switch i have an 04 gade 800 ho and love it

·
ITs WINTER!
7,500 Posts
Well it depends on what motor you go with and if your buying a new sled. for '06 they now ALL come with chrome rings, so no more ring flaking. they also have the crank seal retainers, so no more poped out seals. And probably a few more little things. Still have to watch out for the cracked carb boots though!!!

Then you also want to run XP-S syn blend oil in it, price isnt too great but their will be no question about warranty if something does happen. After warranty is up you can run whatever you want but i would just stick with the factory recommended, thats what its designed for.

Ive got over 1900km on my 800 Ptek in the last month with the only slight problem being that the y-pipe bolts were coming loose. but this was fixed free of charge and havent had a single problem since!

·
Premium Member
19 600r
1,292 Posts
if you have any motor concerns then get the 500 ss , it's rotax's old 600 cc engine.It doesn't have the power of your poo ho but it has lot's of power and it's almost bulit proof. get the 500ss or the sdi,(if your looking at the 600class) don't get the 600 ho it sucks.I had a ho and now run the 500 ss and am very ,very happy with it.personaly I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ for the sdi,it doesn't get that much better gas milage than the 500 ss,and throttle response is better on the 500ss, my brother has a sdi so I ride both

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 600HO that I bought new in 2003. I have over 2500 trouble free miles, not one problem. Totally stock. Use Ski Doo Mineral oil and 87 or 89 octane fuel unless I'm on the trail and all they have is hi octane. Never fouled a plug. Never blown a belt. Won its class (600 stock, unstudded) in local snow drags last year (my future brother in-law raced it). I'm 5' 11". 230 lbs. Don't get to put on a ton of miles each year, but when I ride, I ride hard. I was the first person in my riding group to have a Rev... now they all have one. Buy it, take care of it, you won't be dissapointed!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would get the SDI. Well I did. I am usually at 1/2 tank when others are filling up. The thing flat out hauls too. I was told by a 600 HO owner that his will hang with the SDI until 70 and the SDI would pull it from there up. Haven't ridden with one yet, but I will soon. The SDI is smooth. No hiccups. It just goes. I don't know how you ride but I have been getting about 14 miles to a gallon or better and that is riding hard. Everyone else is getting about 7 with older sleds in same conditions. I believe that if you rode it conservatively the claimed 22mpg wouldn't be unobtainable.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i also came off a poo in 03 i bought an 800 there was some waranty issuse. that sled never went down on the trail and had 9000 mls on it then i went to an 06 , and i now have 1700 problem free miles on my 06 800. if you trade in every 2 yrs there will be no repair expences if you pre season order a machine because you get a 2yr waranty. i pulled my raves on tuesday and there was nothing to clean off they were perfect. i run amsoil it seems to be a perfect match for the 800 P-Tek. make the switch you won't have any regrets

·
Super Moderator
31,535 Posts
3300+ miles on my '04 600SDI. I had the rings done at 2500 miles (warranty) and thats been it. BY FAR, without question, the single greatest sled I have ever owned - and this is my 24th sled.

If you're buying an '06 just make sure the oil cable is set right. Seems some of these weren't set right and some dealers missed checking it in the PDI - and they should be checking them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to just clarify that I ride very hard and most years put on 3500 to 4000 miles, do want to break down late in the season with 3000 - 4000 miles on and out in the middle of the UP where I sled the most.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Remember you are reading a board where people ask questions to their problems, hence the reason you see a lot of problems on here. Not too many guys come here and start posts "3000 miles and still running strong".

I have 13, 000 km on my '03 and have yet to have any issues other than rings and seal *knock on wood*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BigReving said:
Remember you are reading a board where people ask questions to their problems, hence the reason you see a lot of problems on here. Not too many guys come here and start posts "3000 miles and still running strong".

I have 13, 000 km on my '03 and have yet to have any issues other than rings and seal *knock on wood*
[snapback]696596[/snapback]​
That is why I came to this board and several other websites, to gather information about what I might run into with this brand. I just noticed a pattern that when something goes wrong with an rev, it most often seems to be something major with the engine, and I wanted to find out how severe and how often these major things happen because I don't want to have to deal with the risk of putting a lot a money to repair a sled that I will trade in every two years. I am just trying to do my research and get a feel for what the rev is all about.

·
Registered
443 Posts
z71chevy said:
BigReving said:

[snapback]696596[/snapback]​
That is why I came to this board and several other websites, to gather information about what I might run into with this brand. I just noticed a pattern that when something goes wrong with an rev, it most often seems to be something major with the engine, and I wanted to find out how severe and how often these major things happen because I don't want to have to deal with the risk of putting a lot a money to repair a sled that I will trade in every two years. I am just trying to do my research and get a feel for what the rev is all about.
[snapback]696612[/snapback]​
if you trade in every 2yrs and have a two year warranty the repairs will cost you nothing

·
Registered
137 Posts
Buy one and ride it, there are many riders with no problems theres a couple handful of people having serious problems and they are not happy, rightfully so, but alot of those people are being heard, not the average guy who just rides. Good luck, Im sure ski-doo is not the only manufacturer with some issues along the way, I'm gald I don't have to design them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
bcshredder said:
no issuse at all with mine. had the rings done under warranty. have about 2500 miles on it but these are mountain miles not trail miles. much harder on the machine. no carb boot problems either.
[snapback]696364[/snapback]​
I have a REV and have never had any problem with the moter. There are lots of them around were i ride and i have never heared of any problems. GOOD SLEDS. P.S. I am short to and the ride is awsome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.