Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after a visit to the dealer today I have decided to replace this bearing that going bad on my own. My buddies and I have decided that we have enough collective knowledge that we should be able to do this in a weekend. I got the bearing from the dealer today and we are all set to kick off a tear down. I need to know if there is anything I should watch out for before jumping in to this. How many gaskets are going to need replacing and seals and that sort of thing?

I thank all of you that have been replying to my posts about this "noise" I have been wondering about. Just been a tad concerned about tearing down an engine because while I do understand what all the parts do, have never done it before. It would be a good learning opportunity. Doing this on my own will save me around 650 bucks too.

Any advice is welcome and any idea for a parts list would be great!

I also plan on making a vid documentary out of this project so that I can maybe help others do the same thing.
e jumping in to this. how many gaskets are going to need replacing and seals and that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ok so after a visit to the dealer today I have decided to replace this bearing that going bad on my own. My buddies and I have decided that we have enough collective knowledge that we should be able to do this in a weekend. I got the bearing from the dealer today and we are all set to kick off a tear down. I need to know if there is anything I should watch out for before jumping in to this. How many gaskets are going to need replacing and seals and that sort of thing?

I thank all of you that have been replying to my posts about this "noise" I have been wondering about. Just been a tad concerned about tearing down an engine because while I do understand what all the parts do, have never done it before. It would be a good learning opportunity. Doing this on my own will save me around 650 bucks too.

Any advice is welcome and any idea for a parts list would be great!

I also plan on making a vid documentary out of this project so that I can maybe help others do the same thing.
e jumping in to this. how many gaskets are going to need replacing and seals and that sort of thing.
Which bearing? You bought parts without tearing it down? If crank bearing you need complete gasket kit and might as well rebuild it while you are there. Good luck with what you find.

Remembering my first crank rebuild
Jimbob

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree replace all the bearings, and gaskets are a one time use thing. get a complete engine gasket kit.

Where does one get the gasket set?

Who else can i get the bearings from? I have been surfing SHS PowerSports

We are starting the tear down this weekend.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My other question were:

How much 2 cycle do i poor in the crank after we change bearings?

Torgue specs for stuff in the crank?

are there any special greases or lubes i need to get for the install of new bearings?

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
I know its not helpful but I need to say it anyway....Put your floaties on, you're in over your head!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
better buy a manual there cheap, I'd install fresh rings too. Make sure crank is not out of phase & lastly good luck cause you just might be getting in over your head by trying to Doo a crank job like this???

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yeah just by the ?'s you are asking you are gonna get into trouble. My 1st rebuild attempt was a 3.5 HP Briggs&Stratton and I F'ed it up real good. Let a pro do it.

·
Can Thread Patrol
3,971 Posts
doo NOT doo this yourself.....either find a buddy that has lots of experience to help you, or just take it to a shop......if you decide to doo it yourself, DOO NOT PUT ANY OIL IN THE CRANKCASE

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't I at least take the crank out and send it out? I mean have a buddy that has done more small motors then I can count so it's not like I'm doing it all on my own. The other thing is too folks are that I am not shelling out 800 bucks to fix a crank on a sled that isn't going to be worth more than 2k. Thanks for all the "do nots" too.
Another option is t get a rebuilt crank and drop it in.

The bottom line is it's not going to a shop. Not unless it has to be done.

So since this is a "help" forum can someone tell me what lube goes in the crank?

Another thing is too I got the top end gaskets but I can't find anyone with the bottom end ones. Dealers say to use this make your own gasket compound?

Thought since all of you seem to know more than me you would be more helpful.... sure would be nice if I could get a more positive response. I suppose I will try another forum.

·
Lurking......
985 Posts
Can't I at least take the crank out and send it out? I mean have a buddy that has done more small motors then I can count so it's not like I'm doing it all on my own. The other thing is too folks are that I am not shelling out 800 bucks to fix a crank on a sled that isn't going to be worth more than 2k. Thanks for all the "do nots" too.
Another option is t get a rebuilt crank and drop it in.

The bottom line is it's not going to a shop. Not unless it has to be done.

So since this is a "help" forum can someone tell me what lube goes in the crank?

Another thing is too I got the top end gaskets but I can't find anyone with the bottom end ones. Dealers say to use this make your own gasket compound?

Thought since all of you seem to know more than me you would be more helpful.... sure would be nice if I could get a more positive response. I suppose I will try another forum.
"complete" gasket kit will take care of everything from the top to the case. The case halves do not have a gasket per say. There is a Loctite brand silicone type sealer that is rolled onto and smoothed out that seals the lower case halves. The oil for the lower end goes into the center section where the oil pump mounts. This is just whatever injection oil you are using in your tank. That is added once the case halves are reassembled. You can tilt the case forward, pour in the oil and then reinstall the oil pump. Not sure on the quantity though.

Gotta admit, you got more guts then me. I sent my complete motor out to Big John at Sled Head Racing for a complete rebuild top to bottom. Around $1300 w/ new pistons and new/rebuilt crank, balanced and phased. Good luck man

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
There's still people that would help you with questions. Would be a really steep learning curve so if you're going to do it start now so by the time the snow flies you'll hopefully have a running and dependable machine again.

If/when you tear it apart.....take notes, organize everything as you take it off.....take pictures etc. Anything that would help you to put it back together again. A repair manual is a must!!!

·
Lurking......
985 Posts
There's still people that would help you with questions. Would be a really steep learning curve so if you're going to do it start now so by the time the snow flies you'll hopefully have a running and dependable machine again.

If/when you tear it apart.....take notes, organize everything as you take it off.....take pictures etc. Anything that would help you to put it back together again. A repair manual is a must!!!
X2 on the manual. I have them for all of my sleds. As maluchm sad too, pics, pics, and more pics. Depending on how long before you put it back together stuff you are sure you will remember.....you will forget. Trust me......

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"complete" gasket kit will take care of everything from the top to the case. The case halves do not have a gasket per say. There is a Loctite brand silicone type sealer that is rolled onto and smoothed out that seals the lower case halves. The oil for the lower end goes into the center section where the oil pump mounts. This is just whatever injection oil you are using in your tank. That is added once the case halves are reassembled. You can tilt the case forward, pour in the oil and then reinstall the oil pump. Not sure on the quantity though.

Gotta admit, you got more guts then me. I sent my complete motor out to Big John at Sled Head Racing for a complete rebuild top to bottom. Around $1300 w/ new pistons and new/rebuilt crank, balanced and phased. Good luck man
Thats helps a bit. I don't think it's going to be that bad if i am just replacing bearings. I don't even know what the issue is yet for sure. I know there is a not cool noise comming from the crank and i know when crank bearings go at high RPMs they can make a real mess of things. I doubt the crank has any. I just doubt it's that hard. The hardest part is prolly going to be put it all back.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
X2 on the manual. I have them for all of my sleds. As maluchm sad too, pics, pics, and more pics. Depending on how long before you put it back together stuff you are sure you will remember.....you will forget. Trust me......
This should only be a 2 week project. it should get taken apart in a single day.

Game plan is:

Take it apart

find the clattering

order the part(s) (Ihave some of the lower bearings allready)

slowly and carefully put it back

all the while taking video of the progress.

My big thing is guys on here talk about it all the time. They prolly learned the same way i am now. Why can't i learn? why risk sending my motor anywhere when more often then not motors get dropped and broken.... I mean i have done all my own work so far.... carbs clutches, milled my own heads, i make my own tools all the time, and all that ja so what so hard about a crank. i mean tell me now... is this something that requires special tools that only a dealer would have? i didn't think you needed a whole ton of special tools for sleds. pretty sure you just need the basics....

·
Lurking......
985 Posts
My deal is that I've done top ends with my eyes closed (not really). I could have probably done the bottom too, but a lot more involved. Didn't want to have issues and tear down a complete motor again or find out the hard way on the trail. I'm talking about my REV too. My ZX may be a different story. Heck of a lot easier to pull a ZX chassis motor than a REV motor.

You gotta learn somehow.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ya don't be afraid to do this yourself. there's really not that much to it. I would but the manual from ebay for your sled though, it has torque specs and torquing secquences, not to mention it tells you what needs to be loctited or lubed on assembly. They are about $10 with shipping and worth 100 times that in information.

I busted a skirt off a piston last year so I GOT TO (not had to) tear into my motor and split the cases, theres nothing in there that a guy with a little mechanical experience can't do himself. The knowledge gained about how your engine and the rest of your seld works and is put together is worth the effort and bloodshed.

There's nothing I hate more than a guy with all the money in the world riding all the nicest toys anywhere and NO CLUE how a darn thing works.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya don't be afraid to do this yourself. there's really not that much to it. I would but the manual from ebay for your sled though, it has torque specs and torquing secquences, not to mention it tells you what needs to be loctited or lubed on assembly. They are about $10 with shipping and worth 100 times that in information.

I busted a skirt off a piston last year so I GOT TO (not had to) tear into my motor and split the cases, theres nothing in there that a guy with a little mechanical experience can't do himself. The knowledge gained about how your engine and the rest of your seld works and is put together is worth the effort and bloodshed.

There's nothing I hate more than a guy with all the money in the world riding all the nicest toys anywhere and NO CLUE how a darn thing works.
now when you say manual u mean the doo shop manaul right? cuz i downloaded the shop, users guide, parts man. the other thing i am confused about is lube.. one guys says not to use 2cycle. one guy says use whatever i amusing as injector oil. those are the sames things.... so what i am asking is if i use AMS interceptor does that go in the crank case when i put it all back together? how much do i use just i the case?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts