Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says. I do most of my riding in NH on trails and across the lake. What would you guys recommend? I have a set of oakley Crowbar goggles that I use for snowboarding already. Those that ride open face + goggles, do you wear anything under the helmet to seal any gaps? Either way you ride, recommend me a good budget helmet. The rents are begging me for christmas ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Open face if you like frost bite..
Ski doo modular 2 if you like comfort on long cold days.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
People who wear open face are confused biker wannabe 509 sledders. They wear cool MX helmets with gold or orange tint lenz goggles so people will think they are cool....they wannabe mountain riders but really only ride the trails like everyone else.... :laugh_old:

There is a reason snowmobile helmets exist. They are for SNOWMOBILING!

Personally, I would get a used BV2S on Ebay or Craigslist or here in the classifieds. $200 will get you a great helmet.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I have both a Full Face and a MX style and I like them equal. I would highly recommend the FXR MX style with the "Winter kit" which does an awesome job of sealing up and my face doesn't get cold at all. The only down side is to me the visibility of a MX style is not as good as the Full face, and so that is something you need to think about? All being said though, I normally ride with the MX Style, but if it is going to be a long ride, I would wear the full face. You really need to try both and see what you like better? If your looking for a good helmet for the money, look at FXR's they now offer both styles. FXR now has a helmet very similar to the Modular 2 (Which is my full face helmet) but for less money.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Like the title says. I do most of my riding in NH on trails and across the lake. What would you guys recommend? I have a set of oakley Crowbar goggles that I use for snowboarding already. Those that ride open face + goggles, do you wear anything under the helmet to seal any gaps? Either way you ride, recommend me a good budget helmet. The rents are begging me for christmas ideas.

Thanks
It really depends on the type of riding you do. If you are standing a lot and generate a lot of heat an MX style with goggles might be fine. If you are sitting most of the time and not getting too hot a full face helmet is the way to go. I have tried both and I am sticking with a full face.

You can find some Ski Doo EXO 400 helmets for as low as $50 and some with heated shield for $100. The heated shields work pretty good.

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
8,755 Posts

Thanks
You could get 50 replies and they'll probably all be different, there is no one helmet that is perfect for everyone...

I really like my Bv2s but I like my XPR more.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The reason I wear a MX style helmet(Fly Formula MX) on top of great vision with googles, lack of fogging, is the safety rating, both snell and DOT approved, I forget to what standard they are up too now. A lot of snowmobile helmets like the BVS2 are only rated by one group(or they used to be). I believe it's because of the flip feature, they couldn't pass one of the standards. I don't intend to cause a big shxt storm with that last comment and it's been a while since I've researched this, so maybe it's changed. For those really cold days, below zero I would love to have a full face, but if I can only carry one helmet it's going to be the MX style, because I feel it's safer. One thing people don't talk about with MX helmets is the wind resistance caused by the bill of the helmet. All of us that have worn MX style for a while should look like linebackers with big necks because anything over about 50mph you are getting a work out. Then again maybe if I had a bigger windshield. Ha, 51 year old wanna be snocrosser. T

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Lighter, not ****ed when the lens ices up, change goggles for conditions, breath better, keep you warm when you have a proper setup, more choices in helmets, and last but not least for me anyways way more comfortable. If you couldnt tell im talking mx helmets.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I switched to an open face 2 years ago and would never go back. I'm comfortable with it and the skidoo mountain balaclava until about -25, then it starts getting cold and I throw on the original modular helmet I have.

The open face is the primary helmet due to lack of fogging, better visibility, and it is much easier to breath. The breath box inside the modular I have is very very restrictive, the open face I feel as though I can breath perfectly fine all day with any level of effort.

·
Registered
614 Posts
People who wear open face are confused biker wannabe 509 sledders. They wear cool MX helmets with gold or orange tint lenz goggles so people will think they are cool....they wannabe mountain riders but really only ride the trails like everyone else.... :laugh_old:

There is a reason snowmobile helmets exist. They are for SNOWMOBILING!

Personally, I would get a used BV2S on Ebay or Craigslist or here in the classifieds. $200 will get you a great helmet.
I'm sorry but I disagree 100%. I have worn my HJC cl-x5 for 5 years and don't get me wrong I have a closed face for days -20 and below, but for 95% of the time my open face works great. I think you should try it for yourself and I bet you that you won't switch back!

The degree of vision, plus wearing a lighter helmet makes open face helmets the best bet anyday.

I just recently upgraded to 509's new carbon fiber helmet as I needed a nice upgrade from my old open face helmet.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Thanks
I will only ever buy a mx style helmet with goggles!!! here's what me and my friends do. first get a small piece of tape and cover the face vents, this prevent air flow to your face making it warmer. ( that also goes with other vents, if you buy an mx style bucket with lots of vents you will want to close up whatever you can, but do it on the inside). second go to a skidoo dealer or royal and buy yourself an expensive balaclava that's thick!, you can actually buy really warm ones (honestly I could rock mine with no helmet and just goggles, at -40 at 100km/h and still be warm). thirdly, buy goggles that fit your helmet, I personally use huge snowboard bubble lens goggles, some fit some helmets some don't so check it out before you buy. you want a tight seal! forth, if you find those options too cold ( there's probably something wrong with you) you can always buy a non rebreathe piece that Velcro's into the mx helmet and creates a cup piece over your chin and face, blocking all wind. finally, well with is an obvious, but don't put on wet clothing/balaclavas and go out to ride!

honestly the mx helmets look way better then closed faces, some people think your nuts, but if you actually do what I just told you, you'll be laughing because its very warm set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I'm sorry but I disagree 100%. I have worn my HJC cl-x5 for 5 years and don't get me wrong I have a closed face for days -20 and below, but for 95% of the time my open face works great. I think you should try it for yourself and I bet you that you won't switch back!

The degree of vision, plus wearing a lighter helmet makes open face helmets the best bet anyday.

I just recently upgraded to 509's new carbon fiber helmet as I needed a nice upgrade from my old open face helmet.
I honestly cant try one if I even wanted to try it out.

I can't image how good I would look if the sun hit my shiny gold lense the right way...I'd have to ask people to take pictures of me and that would distract my riding....besides, I look good enuf already....

If I went Carbon Fiber it would be less weight and I would go faster...my sled is too fast already...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wouldn't use snowboard goggles for sledding. They most likely won't be big enough to cover your whole face and will also fog a lot easier than vented goggles meant for snowmobiling.
I use snowboard goggles and they are a lot better, they come in all different shapes and sizes just gotta get the right ones, they also do not fog at all unless you buy ****. they look better and snowboard goggle technology is way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.