Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I have about had it now! 2500 miles on this machine and it was great for the first 1600.(bought it new) then at 1600 it popped the top end due to ring failure. had the top replaced on warranty and dealer said all was good. rode it 450 miles and it completely came unglued! all that was left was the crankcase! dealer nor BRP would pay as they came up with all kinds of excuses. I paid and had it rebuilt again from the ground up. now it went again!! locked it up at 40mph in only 2.2 miles!! on this trip. motor has around 500. I am seriously "edit for bad language" as I will likely have to pay again although I dont think I should have to. it ruined my riding weekend and the sled was all checked out before we left. it always seems to quit on deceleration. it was coming to a stop sign on the trail and it quit. any ideas? I am starting to think maybe the ignition box or something?? I am really hating this sled right now

Fred

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
How about a carb problem (jets) or something preventing the engine from getting oil (line).
-Good luck

P.S. I went through 3 motors last year, I know how you feel

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TeamScream said:
How about a carb problem (jets) or something preventing the engine from getting oil (line).
-Good luck

P.S. I went through 3 motors last year, I know how you feel

[snapback]701255[/snapback]​
the carbs have been checked and re checked. I thought maybe a bent needle or something but they were all good. its using enough oil too. all I have ever run is doo oil as well so they cannot hassle me there. if this were my main sled i would have shot someone by now but its my wifes and she rides only a couple times a yr. so far she has got 3 rides to an engine since I gave it to her. its getting expensive

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
3,186 Posts
If the crank is not true, would that lead to these problems? (fishing here)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
been there done that with my 03 3 top ends in one season, finallly put an 04 HO motor in it and first ride a pilot jet plugged with a piece of gasket that came off., took the mag slug with it.......
some of the 03's were posessed, I have finally exorsiced mine bored it out and beaten off all the deamons, I mean they are burned at the stake with nitrous!!!!!!!!!
Shes good to go now, could have bought 2 new ones with what I have in this one but it's a labor of love.

If it is seizing from lean condition look close at carb boots and check with carb cleaner or ether.
Shim the needles to cool it down in the mid range .020 and bump the pilots up to 25 or 30's
got pics of the wasted pistons??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Somebody is missing something. Could be a variety of things. I had a '99MXZ and it kept seizing. Eventually tore it all the way down to the crank and a crank seal was bad. Had the crank rebuilt and never had another problem with it. Might want to give that a look. Good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rippy said:
Somebody is missing something. Could be a variety of things. I had a '99MXZ and it kept seizing. Eventually tore it all the way down to the crank and a crank seal was bad. Had the crank rebuilt and never had another problem with it. Might want to give that a look. Good luck.
[snapback]701712[/snapback]​
There's a cause for everything.What did your dealer tell you? If they can't find the problem take it to one that will. A good dealer will make it right for you.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
crank was redone on the last rebuild. all seals were new it was done top to bottom, thats why I thought it would be good this time. I will post pics when its torn down. I am so mad I have not even taken it out of the trailer yet!

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Is it the top of the piston then it is a lean condition or detonation ( electrics, timing ) or a 4 corner seize then its a cold seize, piston heats up before the cylinder, or the exaust side then its lack of lubrication or heat, check if oil pump is pumping or the water pump impeller is is striped and the shaft is spinning inside it or is the thermostat not opening, on one engine I had a rod bearing that felt good on the crank but when the engine was up to temp it would heat up the rod then the rod would swell up the piston and it would seize I replaced it 2 times before I saw the rod was turning blue from the heat , Hope this might help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts