Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a 1997 formula 3, I posted yesterday that I thought maybe my track was just getting old. After doing some other maintenance I noticed some decent size chunks flying off the track when I had it jacked up testing it. When I was doing maintenance I had to replace the speedo cable, when I did this I was told to check the bearing behind the little plate where speedo cable attaches. When I re-assembled I only put one bolt, hand tight in that speedo mechanism. I didn't have the cable so I didn't put it fully back together. I adjusted clutch alignment and also the deflection of the belt. after all was done I got the cable in the mail and did my swap, tightening the speedo mechanism down and reinstalling the guard. I was wondering if when I adjusted the clutch and the deflection of the belt if I may have knocked my track out of alignment? I removed the belt this morning and rotated the track, it moves but not real easy! Tension on track seems good but not sure about centering it? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sounds like your track is just falling apart from dry rot unless you can hear it rubbing/hitting on something. Clutch adjustment doesn't affect track alignment. Track is aligned and tensioned using the rear axle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
those 3 studs coming through the tunnel are what holds the driveshaft in. Put the lock nuts on and torque them down your drive shaft is probably falling out of the tunnel and throwing the alignment out of the track and the chain case.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thats what I was thinking, It wouldn't have to move much to cause track to run untrue. I just did a quick generic measurement on the track, it is off center about 1/4 inch or so. Not sure if thats enough to cause a problem or not. Upon further inspection we have decided there is more track damage to that side of the track (brake side where I was messing around checking bearing). I'm gonna true her up and re-try. How easy should a track move when belt is not on? One hand two hand? It seems like its rolling very stiff. I need to use two hands and almost everything I have in me to get her to go? I have seen a few youtube videos guys are spinning them with one hand almost no effort at all!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts