Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased this sled. Its is in near mint condition. Initial compression check showed 145 in each cylinder. I'm not sure whether the sled is eating antifreeze or if there is a leak, but this are the two most recent examples of what has happened:

The other day, I filled the resevoir to the full line, left the cap off, burped it, then refilled to the full line and secured the cap. Left it idling, while checking it every few minutes. It was fine, then after ten minutes, i went to examine, it was overheating, the temp light was on and antifreeze appeared to be bubbling through the top of the cap and was all over the floor. I do not know if it was coming out of the exhaust or not. There does not appear to be a leaks in the hoses. While the sled has very low miles, it appeared to be properly stored. There is no evidence of mice damage.

Today, I refilled it, burped it, secured the cap and watched it a little more closely. I lifted the rear end onto a jack stand and let it idle for about 5 mins. Everything appeared fine. I goosed it a little here and there. Then, I continued to leave it idle with track spinning until I returned after about 7 mins only to find that the temp light was now on and it was starting to overheat, but there was no antfreeze on the ground...

I shut it off and decided to jump on here!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
proberly the warped neck on coolant bottle.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
Pull the head off and check the cylinder o-rings.
You may be pressurising the system with cylinder compression. Thus creating an airlock in the head.
This condition will overheat the temp sensor and push coolant out of your bottle.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Not unheard of for this to overheat after 10 minutes of idling. We've had bad thermostats on two of ours so I'd recommend replacing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are the heat exchangers getting warm? run it up to temp and feel the exchangers, if they are not warm then chances are is something as simple as a thermostat

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Today, I refilled it, burped it, secured the cap and watched it a little more closely. I lifted the rear end onto a jack stand and let it idle for about 5 mins. Everything appeared fine.
Sounds like air in the system. When servicing the cooling system we lift the front of the sled to allow air out of the exchangers...not the rear.

Were the exchangers hot or did you not check them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts