Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up an 03 440 and it doesnt seem to be running right , looking for some help. sled will only hit 7000-7500 i will sometimes see 8000-8200 but only when the track is spinning on ice. it feels real lazy like i'm riding a 380fan. it is especially bad when im going up a hill or through bumps it has nothing. carbs are set up like this

310/320 mains
25 pilots
stock needle on #3 (i think)
air screws 1.25 turns out
0-2000ft. 0-20 degrees F
LC heads
93 octane
Intercepter 40:1

is stock clutching that bad that it is causing this? holeshot is not too bad but it is really bad when im crusing at 40 and pin it, backshift is non-existent. i think jetting is ok what do you guys think. any help is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,911 Posts
list your primary and secondary clutch set ups and well see what we can come up with. maybe check exhaust valves for propper operation??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,812 Posts
Definitely check your RAVES (make sure the gaskets aren't upside down and blocking the impulse hole.

Also, check the rollers in your secondary clutch. If they have flat spots or are installed backwards the clutch will not back shift.

I'd also replace the primary spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dyna-tek racing said:
list your primary and secondary clutch set ups and well see what we can come up with. maybe check exhaust valves for propper operation??
[snapback]737113[/snapback]​
Tom White said:
Definitely check your RAVES (make sure the gaskets aren't upside down and blocking the impulse hole.

Also, check the rollers in your secondary clutch. If they have flat spots or are installed backwards the clutch will not back shift.

I'd also replace the primary spring.
[snapback]737215[/snapback]​
clutching is stock as far as i know, i just had the raves apart and they were clean, which gaskets are you talking about? also what tools do i need if any to take the secondary apart, i have tools for the rer clutch on my 800 can i use the same tools? is stock primary spring 240/340?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,812 Posts
The gaskets between the RAVE assembly and the cylinders. If you look closely, you will see a small hole (1/8" or so) on the mating surface of the cylinder and a corresponding hole in the gasket and RAVE assembly. The holes should all line up.

As for disassembly of the secondary....sounds like you have not done it before. It isn't hard, but it helps to see pictures and read about it some. Go to www.mxzx-revzone.com (northern catlyst) and read the how to section. By the way, the S4X clutch kit for the 2003 REV is an excellent choice as the stock clutching is boggy and just plain bad.

However, your sled should still run decent with stock stuff, but once you get the bugs worked out Dynamo Joe's kit is a good choice.

TW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom White said:
The gaskets between the RAVE assembly and the cylinders. If you look closely, you will see a small hole (1/8" or so) on the mating surface of the cylinder and a corresponding hole in the gasket and RAVE assembly. The holes should all line up.

As for disassembly of the secondary....sounds like you have not done it before. It isn't hard, but it helps to see pictures and read about it some. Go to www.mxzx-revzone.com (northern catlyst) and read the how to section. By the way, the S4X clutch kit for the 2003 REV is an excellent choice as the stock clutching is boggy and just plain bad.

However, your sled should still run decent with stock stuff, but once you get the bugs worked out Dynamo Joe's kit is a good choice.

TW
[snapback]737489[/snapback]​
thanks for your help tom. if the gaskets are not the problem where should i look next, clutching? this sled is so boggy its not even fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Tom White said:
Yes.....check the clutching and replace both drive and secondary springs.
[snapback]738966[/snapback]​
Thinking about doing this on my 04 never been look at or cleaned since i bought it new i get a little bog on bumps too not so much up hill nothing like that 03 from what i hear that should take care of my problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this may be a stupid question but if i didnt have the vent lines on the carbs hooked up right could that be the culprit? i had the carbs down to see what it had for jetting .does any one have a pic of the proper vent line hookup? thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,506 Posts
That is probably it. Dont have a schematic but pretty east to figure out.Go through your sled top to bottom and look for more surprises. I would do what TW said and get the clutches up to speed as well. Cant hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SkidooSteve12 said:
Lots of pics in my gallery: Carbs


[snapback]740962[/snapback]​
thanks guys i think thats my problem. so the vent that crosses over from carb to carb comes from the right side of the mag carb to the left side of the pto carb? that is not how i did it. i know i have the primer hoses right. but the others are wrong. that would definately make it run bad, right?
 

·
Mod'n is my thing
Joined
·
6,288 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Question i was looking at those carbs and noticed that the green on the piston valve is all intact on my carbs the side that melted down twice has some of the green chipped off and is looking wore has anybody ever had this happen to them.
Could this cause larger problems or is it ok to run?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
REV*BARON said:
Turn up your clickers to #5. If that helps then remove the pins and take out some weight and go back to #3.

What's your compression at? Might be time for new rings as well.
[snapback]741183[/snapback]​
compression is 110 each side with lc domes don't know which base gasket. with my carb venting being wrong , would that make it run as terrible as it is?
 

·
Mod'n is my thing
Joined
·
6,288 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SkidooSteve12 said:
Lots of pics in my gallery: Carbs


[snapback]740962[/snapback]​
that is the correct vent setup? the vent that crosses over from carb to carb wont even reach like it is pictured. is it possible that someone hooked it up wrong before i bought it (obviously). i need a longer hose to make it work like that. could this be my problem?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top